Old 04-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Philip Webb

Default how accurate is 'lshw' (was memory upgrade) ?

080401 Dale wrote:
> W.Kenworthy wrote:
>> *-bank:1
>> product: PartNum1
>> vendor: Manufacturer1
>> physical id: 1
>> serial: SerNum1
>> slot: DIMM1
>> size: 1GB
>> width: 64 bits
>> clock: 400MHz (2.5ns)
> That is not what mine shows tho. Nothing about speed there.
> *-bank:0
> physical id: 0
> slot: A0
> size: 512MB

When I run 'lshw', the memory lines come out as :

*-bank:0
product: PartNum0
vendor: Manufacturer0
physical id: 0
serial: SerNum0
slot: DIMM0
size: 512MiB
width: 64 bits
clock: 1872MHz (0.5ns)

This looks like WK's output rather than Dale's more limited version.

It also doesn't match the spec of the memory when I bought it,
which I recorded in my own files as :

071009 Memory : Kingston 2 x 512 kit DDR2 1150 PC2 9200 : 124.99

The specs are at (they seem to have dropped the 512 MB version)

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX9200D2_1G.pdf

which seems to confirm my own record.

The speed was supposedly 1150 MHz , but 'lshw' gives 1872 MHz .
Of course, I'm not complaining if it's faster than advertised (smile),
but does anyone have any comments re the 2 differences in output ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto

Old 04-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Dale

Philip Webb wrote:

[...]

Well, I suspect it may be the age of my mobo. I have a Abit NF7 rev 2.0
which has been around a while. It may be that other peoples mobo is
newer and has some "enhancements" that my old rig doesn't have. I have
always found that age is the reason for things acting different. I need
a new rig. o_O

I to would be interested in knowing if it is something else causing
this. Could it be that some mobos report differently? Could it be
something to do with the chipset being used?

Dale

:-) :-)