Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 AM
András Csányi

Default slim keyboard layout

Dear All,

I have been googling for a while to find the answer for the question
how on earth I'm able to set up the default keyboard layout of slim,
but I haven't find any answer for this.
A few articles say that if the keyboard layout is set up in xorg.conf
than it will be okay. It doesn't work. I haven't find any option to
set up in /etc/slim.conf file and I also haven't find any information
about it in the gentoo documents.

So, I would like to know that somebody does know the answer for this question?

Thanks in advance!

András

--
- -
--* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --

Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 PM
James Broadhead

On 16 February 2012 09:10, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have been googling for a while to find the answer for the question
> how on earth I'm able to set up the default keyboard layout of slim,
> but I haven't find any answer for this.
> A few articles say that if the keyboard layout is set up in xorg.conf
> than it will be okay. It doesn't work. I haven't find any option to
> set up in /etc/slim.conf file and I also haven't find any information
> about it in the gentoo documents.
>
> So, I would like to know that somebody does know the answer for this question?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> András

I really doubt that slim has any keyboard-layout functionality - it
should be defined by xorg.conf. It's possible that you have a complex
DE (gnome/kde), which overrides the X settings when it loads, as I
assume that your problem is only in slim, and not also in your DE.

A look at your Xorg.0.log, and some more explanation of your situation
would be helpful

Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Claudio Roberto França Pereira

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 14:54, James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 February 2012 09:10, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I have been googling for a while to find the answer for the question
>> how on earth I'm able to set up the default keyboard layout of slim,
>> but I haven't find any answer for this.
>> A few articles say that if the keyboard layout is set up in xorg.conf
>> than it will be okay. It doesn't work. I haven't find any option to
>> set up in /etc/slim.conf file and I also haven't find any information
>> about it in the gentoo documents.
>>
>> So, I would like to know that somebody does know the answer for this question?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> András
>
> I really doubt that slim has any keyboard-layout functionality - it
> should be defined by xorg.conf. It's possible that you have a complex
> DE (gnome/kde), which overrides the X settings when it loads, as I
> assume that your problem is only in slim, and not also in your DE.
>
> A look at your Xorg.0.log, and some more explanation of your situation
> would be helpful

The default and recommended "no xorg.conf" setup doesn't play nice
with keyboard layouts. You need to set one on your xorg.conf or
another X.org init script.

I love the idea that Xorg now just works (TM) without any
configuration file, but it could generate something based on what it
detected on the first time, or something.

--
Claudio Roberto França Pereira

Old 02-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Dzianis Kahanovich

András Csányi пишет:

I have been googling for a while to find the answer for the question
how on earth I'm able to set up the default keyboard layout of slim,
but I haven't find any answer for this.
A few articles say that if the keyboard layout is set up in xorg.conf
than it will be okay. It doesn't work. I haven't find any option to
set up in /etc/slim.conf file and I also haven't find any information
about it in the gentoo documents.

So, I would like to know that somebody does know the answer for this question?

If you just have broken keys on notebook - there are not keyboard layout: there
are forced "numlock". But layout taken from xorg.conf. Look to xorg.conf to
common keyboard layout and "numlock on" line in slim.conf. IMHO no other points
of "keyboard+slim".

--
WBR, Dzianis Kahanovich AKA Denis Kaganovich, http://mahatma.bspu.unibel.by/