Old 02-16-2012, 02:59 AM
Pandu Poluan

Default Again about a gentoo vm appliance for vbox

On Feb 16, 2012 8:51 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

> > You described your frustration but never mentioned what it is you want.

> > Is it a download source for a working appliance? Google will find one

> > of those for you.

> Since both of you agree that I never said what I wanted, I guess I'm

> guilty. *Somehow I thought with a subject line like:

> * Again about a gentoo vm appliance for vbox

> It would be clear that I am seeking a recent gentoo vm appliance for

> vbox.

> Sorry about so much sniveling as well.

> Last time I asked here about it someone had such things available but

> I never got one to work.

> I guess you all know that a vm appliance is a pretty narrow thing.

> They are seen as portable vm appliances to a more or less major

> degree. *A ready made gentoo vm OS that you set in a directory and

> click. *Vmbox comes up and you start the thing. *No puttering around

> guessing about kernel options, installing the necessities etc etc.

> So is that clear then? *I wanted URLS to such critters.

> And as far as google finding them. *I do not have the luck you

> apparently have had. *My best hit is gentoo profile 2006 running

> kernel 2.6-15-r1.

> Needless to say that will be a fairly hefty upgrade and a good chance

> of having serious upgrade problems for that big a jump.

> http://gentoovm.blogspot.com/2006/03/gentoo-virtual-machine-i.html

> OH, buy the way.. what is the most recent profile available?

Truth be told, I *never* use any template when creating Gentoo VMs on VMware. I have my own "stage3.9 generator" that produces a "stage3.9" tarball which I simply extract to a new VM.

("stage3.9" contains everything needed to boot the VM, but sans the functional programs)

Rgds,

Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Tanstaafl