Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Pandu Poluan

Default (A nice illustration of Gentoo)

Found this blogpost serendipitously:

http://mark.orbum.net/2011/11/15/the-pan-pipes-of-gentoo-linux-always-at-the-source/

so, are we brothers? :-)

Rgds,

Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Mark Knecht

Great post. Thanks for sharing it for me to read under the stars at 4AM.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:42 PM
"mike@trausch.us"

On 02/15/2012 05:58 AM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> Found this blogpost serendipitously:
>
> http://mark.orbum.net/2011/11/15/the-pan-pipes-of-gentoo-linux-always-at-the-source/
>
> so, are we brothers? :-)

But, but... you don't _need_ an initrd to have root on LVM! You just
need LVM built-in and GRUB 2!

*ducks*

--- Mike

--- Carveth Read, “Logic”

Old 02-16-2012, 03:07 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Feb 15, 2012 9:45 PM, "mike@trausch.us" <mike@trausch.us> wrote:

> On 02/15/2012 05:58 AM, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> > Found this blogpost serendipitously:

> > http://mark.orbum.net/2011/11/15/the-pan-pipes-of-gentoo-linux-always-at-the-source/

> > so, are we brothers? :-)

> But, but... you don't _need_ an initrd to have root on LVM! *You just

> need LVM built-in and GRUB 2!

> *ducks*

Eh? You don't need to duck from me... I am one of those guys who are against initrd/initramfs :-P

That said, anyone read his description of other distros? Somehow I got the vibes that Gentoo's is the one where he didn't explicitly point out something bad against; only a lamentation that he really don't want to spend too much time compiling everything.

The blog writer's closing paragraph is very poetic it hurts; for I'm about to leave my beloved Gentoo servers behind...

Rgds,

Old 02-16-2012, 02:13 PM
"mike@trausch.us"

On 02/15/2012 11:07 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> Eh? You don't need to duck from me... I am one of those guys who are
> against initrd/initramfs :-P

I hate extra cogs in the system. Simpler is better!

> That said, anyone read his description of other distros? Somehow I got
> the vibes that Gentoo's is the one where he didn't explicitly point out
> something bad against; only a lamentation that he really don't want to
> spend too much time compiling everything.

That seems to be the general gist, yes.

> The blog writer's closing paragraph is very poetic it hurts; for I'm
> about to leave my beloved Gentoo servers behind...

I am actually considering using Gentoo on servers, myself. I've been
using it on my desktop for a while. The only thing that I am really
concerned about is that if I do use it on servers, I'm going to have to
find some way to gain better control over the local Portage tree.

What I really ought to be doing is looking at Portage way closer than I
do as an everyday user. I just want to be absolutely sure that I don't
break anything on a server when I update. But since I have recently
learned about and started learning Puppet, I think I might have a much
easier time mitigating the risks of change by having an environment that
is defined not in terms of the underlying distribution, but in terms of
the requirements of the servers.

--- Mike

--- Carveth Read, “Logic”

Old 02-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 16 February 2012 04:07:38 Pandu Poluan wrote:

*

> I am one of those guys who are against initrd/initramfs :-P

*

Congratulations! The first correct use of "one of those who" I've seen in several years. If only Americans would speak English!

*

I'll subside back into obscurity now...

*

--

Rgds

Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23

*

Old 02-17-2012, 12:29 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Feb 17, 2012 8:16 AM, "Peter Humphrey" <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 16 February 2012 04:07:38 Pandu Poluan wrote:

> *

> > I am one of those guys who are against initrd/initramfs :-P

> *

> Congratulations! The first correct use of "one of those who" I've seen in several years. If only Americans would speak English!

???

I'm not aware that there can be a 'wrong' usage of "one of those who"...

(Gosh; this thread is so meta...)

Rgds,

Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 AM
Mark Knecht

On 2/16/12, Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 16 February 2012 04:07:38 Pandu Poluan wrote:
>
>> I am one of those guys who are against initrd/initramfs :-P
>
> Congratulations! The first correct use of "one of those who" I've seen in
> several years. If only Americans would speak English!
>
> I'll subside back into obscurity now...
>
> --
> Rgds
> Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23

(LOL)

The language is English. We speak American. You speak British?!?

Old 02-17-2012, 05:26 AM
Hari Purnama

On 02/15/12 17:58, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> Found this blogpost serendipitously:
>
> http://mark.orbum.net/2011/11/15/the-pan-pipes-of-gentoo-linux-always-at-the-source/
>
> so, are we brothers? :-)
>
> Rgds,

brothers in deed..
btw, met siang om pandu..

Hari Purnama

Old 02-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Marc Joliet

Am Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:29:40 +0700
schrieb Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info>:

> On Feb 17, 2012 8:16 AM, "Peter Humphrey" <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday 16 February 2012 04:07:38 Pandu Poluan wrote:
> >

> > > I am one of those guys who are against initrd/initramfs :-P
> >

> > Congratulations! The first correct use of "one of those who" I've seen in
> several years. If only Americans would speak English!
> >

> ???
>
> I'm not aware that there can be a 'wrong' usage of "one of those who"...

I think he means "one of those who *are*" vs. "one of those who *is*".

--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup