Old 02-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Grant

Default Alternative to firefox?

Has anyone found a GUI alternative to firefox they like that's in
portage? Something minimal preferably but with flash support?

- Grant

Old 02-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone found a GUI alternative to firefox they like that's in
> portage? *Something minimal preferably but with flash support?

I mostly use Chromium. IIRC, there's also Galeon. You'd have to look
at the current state of the ebuild to see how little (or much) of Gtk
and GNOME you'd have to pull in.

--
:wq

Old 02-14-2012, 07:48 PM
"mike@trausch.us"

On 02/14/2012 03:41 PM, Grant wrote:
> Has anyone found a GUI alternative to firefox they like that's in
> portage? Something minimal preferably but with flash support?

I've used Chromium in the past. It supports the same plugins that
Firefox does. There is also Epiphany, the GNOME browser, which I am
relatively certain handles the same types of plugins that FF and
Chromium do.

--- Mike

--- Carveth Read, “Logic”

Old 02-14-2012, 07:53 PM
LK

On 120214, at 21:41, Grant wrote:
> Has anyone found a GUI alternative to firefox they like that's in
> portage? Something minimal preferably but with flash support?
I guess the default XFCE4 browser supports flash. it is lightweight. It came once with ubuntu xfce and i liked it.
(that to be a fast pick)

Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Alex Schuster

Grant writes:

> Has anyone found a GUI alternative to firefox they like that's in
> portage? Something minimal preferably but with flash support?

Maybe you like www-client/midori:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midori_%28web_browser%29

Wonko

Old 02-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Alecks Gates

On Feb 14, 2012 3:42 PM, "Grant" <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone found a GUI alternative to firefox they like that's in

> portage? *Something minimal preferably but with flash support?

> - Grant

Midori is quite minimal and has flash support last I checked.* It's very lightweight on the features, which can be good and bad .* Personally I get tired of new chromium and v8 builds every week.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone found a GUI alternative to firefox they like that's in
> portage? *Something minimal preferably but with flash support?

Chromium/Chrome, Opera, Konqueror... flash works in all of those and
are all fast and minimalistic compared to Firefox. Probably Epiphany,
too, but I don't use Gnome so I haven't tried it in years.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Alecks Gates

On Feb 14, 2012 4:16 PM, "Paul Hartman" <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Has anyone found a GUI alternative to firefox they like that's in

> > portage? *Something minimal preferably but with flash support?

> Chromium/Chrome, Opera, Konqueror... flash works in all of those and

> are all fast and minimalistic compared to Firefox. Probably Epiphany,

> too, but I don't use Gnome so I haven't tried it in years.

Firefox is quite fast and is also the only browser I've found that can easily manage hundreds of tabs + amazing addons.* Firefox has no true alternative, if you consider everything.* The last time I tried Epiphany flash didn't appear to work out of the box, but I might have done something wrong too.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Alecks Gates <fuzzylunkinz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2012 4:16 PM, "Paul Hartman" <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Has anyone found a GUI alternative to firefox they like that's in
>> > portage? *Something minimal preferably but with flash support?
>>
>> Chromium/Chrome, Opera, Konqueror... flash works in all of those and
>> are all fast and minimalistic compared to Firefox. Probably Epiphany,
>> too, but I don't use Gnome so I haven't tried it in years.
>>
> Firefox is quite fast and is also the only browser I've found that can
> easily manage hundreds of tabs + amazing addons.* Firefox has no true
> alternative, if you consider everything.* The last time I tried Epiphany
> flash didn't appear to work out of the box, but I might have done something
> wrong too.

Try Chromium and Seamonkey.

Also, the phrase "...has no true alternative, if you consider
everything." makes you sound like a fanboy. Be careful with that.

--
:wq

Old 02-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Jean-Christophe Bach

* Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> [14.02.2012. @12:41:25 -0800]:

> Has anyone found a GUI alternative to firefox they like that's in
> portage? Something minimal preferably but with flash support?
>
> - Grant

Hi,

You may want to try Luakit which is light and highly configurable by Lua
scripts. I think it is a gread browser.

JC