Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Claudio Roberto Franša Pereira

Default Alternative to firefox?

> Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> [14.02.2012. @12:41:25 -0800]:
>
> Has anyone found a GUI alternative to firefox they like that's in
> portage? *Something minimal preferably but with flash support?
>
> - Grant

Check Vimperator for Firefox, and also uzbl (uzbl-browser or uzbl-tabbed).

Old 02-15-2012, 12:05 AM
Frank Steinmetzger

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 07:47:51PM -0200, Claudio Roberto Franša Pereira wrote:
> > Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> [14.02.2012. @12:41:25 -0800]:
> >
> > Has anyone found a GUI alternative to firefox they like that's in
> > portage? *Something minimal preferably but with flash support?
> >
> > - Grant
>
> Check Vimperator for Firefox, and also uzbl (uzbl-browser or uzbl-tabbed).

If you go the vimperator way, _definitely_ check out pentadactyl[1] also. At
some point in time and space, the main devs (according to the penta website)
left the vimperator project and forked pentadactyl.

(The FAQ covers why there was a fork in the first place).

[1] http://dactyl.sourceforge.net/pentadactyl/
--
Gru▀ | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

The most dangerous thing about half-wisdom is
that almost half of it is actually believed.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 AM

Hello!

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 15:58:20 -0500
Alecks Gates <fuzzylunkinz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Midori is quite minimal and has flash support last I checked. It's
> very lightweight on the features, which can be good and bad .
> Personally I get tired of new chromium and v8 builds every week.
I use Midori for my everyday surfing. And it works faster than IceCat
(which I use from time to time too). Its feature set may be not so rich
as IceCat's (or Firefox') one, but I haven't even noticed something
missing in it, in fact. Except maybe for the FTP protocol support.
And also, Midori supports plugins and may be extended via them.

Regards,
Vladimir

-----
<v_2e@ukr.net>

Old 02-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Grant

> Has anyone found a GUI alternative to firefox they like that's in
> portage? *Something minimal preferably but with flash support?
>
> - Grant

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It sounds like chromium and
midori are the most popular here but lots of other suggestions I will
look into too.

- Grant

Old 02-17-2012, 05:21 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 08:43:20AM -0800, Grant wrote

> Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It sounds like chromium and
> midori are the most popular here but lots of other suggestions I will
> look into too.

Thanks for posting the question. I found out about midori, thanks to
this thread. It passes *MY* "acid test". I'm a paying subscriber to
both live365.com (internet radio) and NHL Gamecenter Live (NHL Hockey),
and they both work fine under midori. Both of them rely heavily on
Flash.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 02-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Grant

>> Thanks for the suggestions everyone. *It sounds like chromium and
>> midori are the most popular here but lots of other suggestions I will
>> look into too.
>
> *Thanks for posting the question. *I found out about midori, thanks to
> this thread. *It passes *MY* "acid test". *I'm a paying subscriber to
> both live365.com (internet radio) and NHL Gamecenter Live (NHL Hockey),
> and they both work fine under midori. *Both of them rely heavily on
> Flash.

I think I'm switching to midori. Does anyone know how to beautify it
just a bit? Smoother fonts and maybe just a bit of edge roundness?

- Grant

Old 02-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Grant

>>> Thanks for the suggestions everyone. *It sounds like chromium and
>>> midori are the most popular here but lots of other suggestions I will
>>> look into too.
>>
>> *Thanks for posting the question. *I found out about midori, thanks to
>> this thread. *It passes *MY* "acid test". *I'm a paying subscriber to
>> both live365.com (internet radio) and NHL Gamecenter Live (NHL Hockey),
>> and they both work fine under midori. *Both of them rely heavily on
>> Flash.
>
> I think I'm switching to midori. *Does anyone know how to beautify it
> just a bit? *Smoother fonts and maybe just a bit of edge roundness?
>
> - Grant

Ouch, is copy/paste in midori working for anyone? I seem to be bitten
by this bug which has no resolution:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/midori/+bug/707888

- Grant

Old 02-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Grant

>>> *Thanks for posting the question. *I found out about midori, thanks to
>>> this thread. *It passes *MY* "acid test". *I'm a paying subscriber to
>>> both live365.com (internet radio) and NHL Gamecenter Live (NHL Hockey),
>>> and they both work fine under midori. *Both of them rely heavily on
>>> Flash.
>>
>> I think I'm switching to midori. *Does anyone know how to beautify it
>> just a bit? *Smoother fonts and maybe just a bit of edge roundness?
>>
>> - Grant
>
> Ouch, is copy/paste in midori working for anyone? *I seem to be bitten
> by this bug which has no resolution:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/midori/+bug/707888
>
> - Grant

Flash isn't working for me either:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6901904.html

Also bookmark support is super-buggy and I have to 'paxctl -m
/usr/bin/midori' to avoid crashing on some websites.

- Grant

Old 02-17-2012, 07:58 PM

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:37:19 -0800
Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to beautify it just a bit? Smoother fonts and
> maybe just a bit of edge roundness?

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:51:18 -0800
Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ouch, is copy/paste in midori working for anyone? I seem to be bitten
> by this bug which has no resolution:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/midori/+bug/707888

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:42:21 -0800
Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Flash isn't working for me either:
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6901904.html
>
> Also bookmark support is super-buggy and I have to 'paxctl -m
> /usr/bin/midori' to avoid crashing on some websites.

And otherwise Midori is a very cool browser.

Well, to be serious, I'm also annoyed by this not-working "Ctrl+C"
story. Still, as somebody pointed out, one may use "Ctrl+Insert" or
"Ctrl+X" which seem to work most of the time.
As for the "interface roundness", as far as I know, Midori may be
compiled to use with either GTK2 or GTK3. The GTK2 interface looks more
"round", I'd say. So, you may try USE="-gtk3"
As for the bookmarking, it is also a looooong story, but the
developers seem to work on this. At least, I noticed a couple of
changes in bookmarks management for several recent releases.

To be short, Midori is indeed a problematic browser, but still it has
a nice (not all-inclusive, but exactly 'nice') set of features which
make it the most convenient for me at the moment... well, except for
that broken "Ctrl+C" thing...

-----
<v_2e@ukr.net>

Old 02-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Dienstag, 14. Februar 2012, 12:41:25 schrieb Grant:
> Has anyone found a GUI alternative to firefox they like that's in
> portage? Something minimal preferably but with flash support?
>
> - Grant

konqueror or chromium.
--
#163933