Old 02-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Paul Hartman

Default grub vs grub 2

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Claudio Roberto França Pereira
<spideybr@gmail.com> wrote:
> mike, I'd DEFINITELY LOVE to read grub's history, even if it's a short
> summary or something.
>
> TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC, but anyone could recommend me a open
> source/linux/unix/free software history book? Something that mentioned
> the FSF foundation, the GPL creation, the XFree86 -> X.org evolution,
> linux [..]. -> 2.4 -> 2.6 evolution, sound stack evolution (OSS, ALSA,
> JACK, PA, ESD, Arts, Phonon), multimedia history (ffmpeg, mplayer,
> mplayer2, gstreamer, xine, vlc). It could go all the way back to
> shell's, like sh, csh, BASH, zsh.

Not OSS related, but I really enjoyed reading Dennis Ritchie's article
on the history of the C programming language (which also gets into the
early UNIX days):
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/chist.html

Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Doug Hunley

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:11, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:57:27 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
>
>> Where is the BEST (gentoo) grub2 documentation?
>
> I'm not saying it's the best, but the one I used to switch over is
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Grub2

One thing I don't see addressed is having /boot on a RAID1 setup. For
Grub Legacy, I do:
grub > device (hd0) /dev/sda
grub > root (hd0,0)
grub > setup (hd0)

then repeat for sdb, sdc, and sdd

Does Grub2 deal w/ this better or the same?

--
Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley@gmail.com)
Twitter: @hunleyd * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Web:

Old 02-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:33:06 -0500, Doug Hunley wrote:

> > I'm not saying it's the best, but the one I used to switch over is
> > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Grub2
>
> One thing I don't see addressed is having /boot on a RAID1 setup. For
> Grub Legacy, I do:
> grub > device (hd0) /dev/sda
> grub > root (hd0,0)
> grub > setup (hd0)
>
> then repeat for sdb, sdc, and sdd
>
> Does Grub2 deal w/ this better or the same?

I do it just the same. It's not really a GRUB thing, the BIOS needs
somewhere to load GRUB from, whatever the version number.

--
Neil Bothwick

I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel...
but it was just some sod with a torch bringing me more work!