Old 04-03-2008, 05:56 AM
Uwe Thiem

Default Konqueror Go menu - missing items

On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Crayon Shin Chan wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > > Short question: What determines how the Go menu in Konqueror is
> > > populated?
> >
> > have you fiddled with:
> >
> > right-click (on the taskbar menu button) ->
> > [Panel Menu] ->
> > [Configure Panel] ->
> > [Menus]
>
> Thanks for answering, only one so far?
>
> That's for the K-menu, I'm looking to populate Go on Konqueror's
> menu bar, which is something else entirely.
>
> Anyone know? Or is my question so way out there that no-one knows?
>

> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Basically, it is the history of your browsing. *You* populate it by
browsing different sites.

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/

Old 04-03-2008, 07:26 AM
Crayon Shin Chan

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> That's for the K-menu, I'm looking to populate Go on Konqueror's menu
> bar, which is something else entirely.

Silly me, I mis-read your question :-/

--
Crayon

Old 04-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 02 April 2008, darren kirby wrote:
> I've often found that the answer to these sorts of questions can by
> found by poking through the ~/.kde directory. Have a look through
> ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/ and see if you can find something
> promising. There are still a few things in kde that can only be
> configured through the text files I think...
>
> Anyway, hopefully this will get you started until someone can give
> you a real answer

Thanks, it does help!

I checked ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/konqueror and found settings where it
appears to merge other menus into the main menu, and gets them
from /usr/kde/3.5/share/apps/ui/ui_something-or-other

This was at midnight so I rather went to bed :-) Sometime today I'll
check in more detail and see what gives

Old 04-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Uwe Thiem wrote:

> Basically, it is the history of your browsing. *You* populate it by
> browsing different sites.

Are we talking about the same thing? I mean the top half, it contains
Back, Forward and Up items, as well as System:/, Trash:/, various
removable media and fish/ssh/smb sessions

The bottom half of the menu is a recent history and that does appear to
work correctly

Old 04-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 11:52:41 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Are we talking about the same thing? I mean the top half, it contains
> Back, Forward and Up items, as well as System:/, Trash:/, various
> removable media and fish/ssh/smb sessions

I was using my Desktop when I answered before, now I'm using my laptop and
most of my Go menu has disappeared too, the first item is History.
Although I am using KDE 3.5, this laptop does have KDE 4 installed,
whereas the desktop does not. I know you've dabbled in KDE 4 too, so I
wonder if that could be a factor.

--
Neil Bothwick

Joystick: (n.) a device essential for performing business tasks and
training exercises esp. favored by pilots, tank commanders, riverboat
gamblers, and medieval warlords.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Uwe Thiem

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Thursday 03 April 2008, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> > Basically, it is the history of your browsing. *You* populate it
> > by browsing different sites.
>
> Are we talking about the same thing? I mean the top half, it
> contains Back, Forward and Up items, as well as System:/, Trash:/,
> various removable media and fish/ssh/smb sessions

Ahem. No, we are not talking about the same thing. ;-) But I can see
from your other reply that you have already found something to get
your hands dirty.

Uwe

Old 04-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Uwe Thiem

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 11:52:41 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Are we talking about the same thing? I mean the top half, it
> > contains Back, Forward and Up items, as well as System:/,
> > Trash:/, various removable media and fish/ssh/smb sessions
>
> I was using my Desktop when I answered before, now I'm using my
> laptop and most of my Go menu has disappeared too, the first item
> is History. Although I am using KDE 3.5, this laptop does have KDE
> 4 installed, whereas the desktop does not. I know you've dabbled in
> KDE 4 too, so I wonder if that could be a factor.

I am on 4.0.2 (though 3.5.9 is installed - just not used at the
moment) but my menu entries are there. All of them.

Uwe

Old 04-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 22:06:37 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > That's for the K-menu, I'm looking to populate Go on Konqueror's
> > menu bar, which is something else entirely.
>
> Does it reappear if you create a new user?

I had tried that before, and got confusing inconsistent results, so
tried a few things again to make sure:

Last night, I launched kde (rather than the usual e17) and ran the Super
User FileManager Mode from the System menu. The thing worked correctly,
but only that once! The second time I tried it, it no longer worked
correctly - menu is the same as I get for my regular user.

Creating a new user and logging into e17 also gives the same symptom, as
does logging into kde desktop with a new user.

So, the only thing that gave me a correct Go menu (and only did it once)
was running konqueror in the file management profile under sudo

Old 04-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 11:52:41 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Are we talking about the same thing? I mean the top half, it
> > contains Back, Forward and Up items, as well as System:/, Trash:/,
> > various removable media and fish/ssh/smb sessions
>
> I was using my Desktop when I answered before, now I'm using my
> laptop and most of my Go menu has disappeared too, the first item is
> History. Although I am using KDE 3.5, this laptop does have KDE 4
> installed, whereas the desktop does not. I know you've dabbled in KDE
> 4 too, so I wonder if that could be a factor.

The first time I did notice it was after building kde4 and logging in
without taking care to move my ~/.kde out of the way.

I see the correlation, but having a hard time believing it - 3.5 and 4
maintain separate dot dirs and should be completely separate, just like
moving from 3.4 to 3.5 did and everything else before. Perhaps there's
a collision in /usr/kde/3.5/ between 4 and 3.5?

On your machine that still works, can you looksee what is in
~/kde3.5/share/apps/konqueor/konquerorrc under the section for the Go
menu? Mine looks like such:

<Menu name="go" >
<text>&amp;Go</text>
<!-- go_up, go_back, go_forward, go_home: coming from
ui_standards.rc --> <Merge/>
<Action name="go_history" />
<Action name="go_most_often" />
<Separator/>
<Action name="history" />
<Action name="closedtabs" />
</Menu>

and my (excerpted) ui_standards.rc looks like:

<Menu name="go_web"><text>&amp;Go</text>
<Action name="go_up"/>
<Action name="go_back"/>
<Action name="go_forward"/>
<Action name="go_home"/>
<Separator/>
<MergeLocal/>
</Menu>
<Menu name="go_document"><text>&amp;Go</text>
<Action name="go_previous"/>
<Action name="go_next"/>
<Action name="go_goto_page"/>
<Action name="go_goto_line"/>
<Action name="go_goto"/>
<Separator/>
<Action name="go_first"/>
<Action name="go_last"/>
<Separator/>
<MergeLocal/>
</Menu>

Old 04-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Peter Ruskin

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On your machine that still works, can you looksee what is in
> ~/kde3.5/share/apps/konqueor/konquerorrc under the section for
> the Go menu? Mine looks like such:
>
> * <Menu name="go" >
> * *<text>&amp;Go</text>
> <!-- go_up, go_back, go_forward, go_home: coming from
> ui_standards.rc --> * <Merge/>
> * *<Action name="go_history" />
> * *<Action name="go_most_often" />
> * *<Separator/>