-   -   Jack, the cat and its tail... (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/632433-jack-cat-its-tail.html)

02-13-2012 05:11 PM

Jack, the cat and its tail...

Hi,

I am currently trying to "jackify" my system with jackd and
pulseaudio.

I am also running some kaffeine, therefore the basic kde stuff
is installed (as less as possible). I am running openbox and slim...

The problem is: Kaffeine produces no sound.

Since Kaffeine uses xine I set ~/.kde4/share/apps/kaffeine/xine-config
to use jackd (audio.driver:jack).

This results in nothing audible and the screen freezes after a short
time...

Therefore I tried xine itsself...and patches ~/.xine/config according
to the above.

Same result.

But this time xine prints at the commandline:
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.6.
(c) 2000-2007 The xine Team.
This system has no accessible HPET device (Device or resource busy)

I used fuser to get the name of the guilty....and gues who it is?

/home/user>fuser /dev/hpet
USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/hpet: mccramer 4221 f...m (mccramer)jackd

So .... I cannot use xine/kaffeine with jackd cause jackd is running?

The cat and its tail...

How can I circumvent this relly nice deadlock?

Best regards,
mcc