Old 02-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Michael Mol

Default HTPC and Gentoo

So I've got Inara in position to be my HTPC box. Tried installing
MythTV, but I can't make heads or tails of how to have it do the
things I'd like it to do:

* Play DVDs inserted into the DVD drive
* Hit streaming websites like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc.
* Play video and audio files I already have.
* Launch games like StepMania and/or Frets on Fire.

( Note, I don't have a video capture card installed. I haven't yet
picked one up that will do ATSC. Once I do, I'll be attaching it to an
antenna. )

I've looked at both the official Gentoo wiki page and the page on the
unofficial Gentoo wiki, but neither gets me any farther than I already
am. I'm not even committed to using MythTV; any fullscreen HTPC
interface that operates at 720p is fine.

--
:wq

Old 02-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Alecks Gates

On Feb 11, 2012 6:54 PM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I've got Inara in position to be my HTPC box. Tried installing

> MythTV, but I can't make heads or tails of how to have it do the

> things I'd like it to do:

> * Play DVDs inserted into the DVD drive

> * Hit streaming websites like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc.

> * Play video and audio files I already have.

> * Launch games like StepMania and/or Frets on Fire.

> ( Note, I don't have a video capture card installed. I haven't yet

> picked one up that will do ATSC. Once I do, I'll be attaching it to an

> antenna. )

> I've looked at both the official Gentoo wiki page and the page on the

> unofficial Gentoo wiki, but neither gets me any farther than I already

> am. I'm not even committed to using MythTV; any fullscreen HTPC

> interface that operates at 720p is fine.

> --

> :wq

XBMC should do everything you're looking for, with a few plugins (launcher, youtube, bluecop?).* I don't know the state of Hulu or Netflix (last I checked Netflix doesn't work due to Mono (Moonlight) DRM issues), but the xbmc forums should have that info.

It's a very lovely program, and is just about to come out with a new release too.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:53 PM
James Broadhead

On 12 February 2012 00:11, Alecks Gates <fuzzylunkinz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2012 6:54 PM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So I've got Inara in position to be my HTPC box. Tried installing
>> MythTV, but I can't make heads or tails of how to have it do the
>> things I'd like it to do:
>>
>> * Play DVDs inserted into the DVD drive
>> * Hit streaming websites like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Youtube, etc.
>> * Play video and audio files I already have.
>> * Launch games like StepMania and/or Frets on Fire.
> XBMC should do everything you're looking for, with a few plugins (launcher,
> youtube, bluecop?).* I don't know the state of Hulu or Netflix (last I
> checked Netflix doesn't work due to Mono (Moonlight) DRM issues), but the
> xbmc forums should have that info.
>
> It's a very lovely program, and is just about to come out with a new release
> too.

+1

Although you'll need to hack around to get calling to external
applications working (Stepmania), and at least historically, XBMC has
pretty high CPU usage when in the background.

For video capture, you're stuck using Myth, but there's xbmc->myth
connectivity in the new release. (I think that it's a new feature, at
least)

Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Raffaele BELARDI

On 02/12/2012 12:53 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
> So I've got Inara in position to be my HTPC box. Tried installing
> MythTV, but I can't make heads or tails of how to have it do the
> things I'd like it to do:
>
> * Play DVDs inserted into the DVD drive

I don't use many DVD but I think it works for me. There's a
configuration item to 'scan for DVD insertion' or something. If it
doesn't start automatically it should be possible to use 'Optical disk'
-> 'Play DVD'.

> * Hit streaming websites like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Youtube,
> etc.

You need media-plugins/mythnetvision for that. I haven't tried it myself
because it needs multilib and I'm no-multilib.

> * Play video and audio files I already have.

Other than configuring the directories holding the files there wasn't
much I needed to do to play local audio/video files. Have you checked
the mythtv wiki [1]? For video you can use mythtv's Internal (capital
'I' is mandatory in the config) or any other. I've been using mplayer
for years but in mythtv 0.25 Internal is quite good and better
integrated than mplayer (and it's able to play almost everything).

> * Launch games like StepMania and/or Frets on Fire.

I had media-plugins/mythgame working with Xmame. Now that Xmame is out
of tree I dropped it because I wasn't using it anymore. I am not at all
familiar with the two games you mention so I cannot help here.

I've used the in-tree mythtv for years but lately it wasn't being
updated [2][3] so I switched to the overlay [4] and been happily running
0.25 with that.

[1] http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Video_Library
[2]
http://rich0gentoo.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/whats-up-with-mythtv-on-gentoo/#more-120
[3]
http://rich0gentoo.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/another-mythtv-update/#more-138
[4] I don't remember which, I have to check. Probably the one mentioned
in Rich0' blog.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:50:14 +0100, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:

> I've used the in-tree mythtv for years but lately it wasn't being
> updated [2][3] so I switched to the overlay [4] and been happily running
> 0.25 with that.

> [4] I don't remember which, I have to check. Probably the one mentioned
> in Rich0' blog.

The official overlay is at
https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/tree/master/Gentoo

--
Neil Bothwick

There is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole.