Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Mick

Default uvesafb fails to work

On Sunday 30 March 2008, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:

> So this depend on the Video Bios of your card and you maybe can't do
> anything about it!
>
> Although 1280x1024 should normally work and i guess you use this
> resolution for your Desktop. How do you generate your initrd? Which card
> do you have?
>
> "dmesg | grep uvesafb" and "fbset --info -v"?

# dmesg | grep uvesafb
Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda3 video=uvesafb:1024x768-32@64,ywrap,mtrr:4
splash=silent,fadein,theme:emergence quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
uvesafb: ATI Technologies Inc., V380, 01.00, OEM: ATI RV380, VBE v2.0
uvesafb: protected mode interface info at c000:5884
uvesafb: pmi: set display start = c00c5918, set palette = c00c5964
uvesafb: pmi: ports = b010 b016 b054 b038 b03c b05c b000 b004 b0b0 b0b2 b0b4
uvesafb: no monitor limits have been set, default refresh rate will be used
uvesafb: VBE state buffer size cannot be determined (eax=0x0, err=0)
uvesafb: scrolling: ywrap using protected mode interface, yres_virtual=1536
uvesafb: framebuffer at 0xd0000000, mapped to 0xf8880000, using 6144k, total
16384k

fbset gives me bash: command not found. Should have I emerged something here?
Can't remember seeing this in the wiki article, as in it wasn't a must for fb
splash to work (I think).
Mick

Old 04-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Mick schrieb:

# dmesg | grep uvesafb
Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda3 video=uvesafb:1024x768-32@64,ywrap,mtrr:4
splash=silent,fadein,theme:emergence quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1

uvesafb: ATI Technologies Inc., V380, 01.00, OEM: ATI RV380, VBE v2.0
uvesafb: protected mode interface info at c000:5884
uvesafb: pmi: set display start = c00c5918, set palette = c00c5964
uvesafb: pmi: ports = b010 b016 b054 b038 b03c b05c b000 b004 b0b0 b0b2 b0b4
uvesafb: no monitor limits have been set, default refresh rate will be used

uvesafb: VBE state buffer size cannot be determined (eax=0x0, err=0)
uvesafb: scrolling: ywrap using protected mode interface, yres_virtual=1536
uvesafb: framebuffer at 0xd0000000, mapped to 0xf8880000, using 6144k, total
16384k

Looks okay, but i don't know much about ATI cards!

fbset gives me bash: command not found. Should have I emerged something here?
Can't remember seeing this in the wiki article, as in it wasn't a must for fb
splash to work (I think).

It just gives some info about the framebuffer, i think it is not
necessary. If you want it just do an "emerge fbset". It is a small utility.

I am not an expert here, but what are the other strange errors the new
kernel is giving you, which you have mentioned before.

Can you post the output of
"cat /sys/devices/platform/uvesafb.0/vbe_modes"

although the quality of the image is poor (it looks sort of pixelated)

What do you mean by this? I will attach a grab of a 1024x768 framebuffer
image with the livecd-2007.0 theme, which looks okay here!

What about trying a higher frequency, i have 75Hz here! Or is your
monitor not capable of this frequency?

Regards,

Daniel

Old 04-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> Mick schrieb:
> > # dmesg | grep uvesafb
> > Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda3
> > video=uvesafb:1024x768-32@64,ywrap,mtrr:4
> > splash=silent,fadein,theme:emergence quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
> > uvesafb: ATI Technologies Inc., V380, 01.00, OEM: ATI RV380, VBE v2.0
> > uvesafb: protected mode interface info at c000:5884
> > uvesafb: pmi: set display start = c00c5918, set palette = c00c5964
> > uvesafb: pmi: ports = b010 b016 b054 b038 b03c b05c b000 b004 b0b0 b0b2
> > b0b4 uvesafb: no monitor limits have been set, default refresh rate will
> > be used uvesafb: VBE state buffer size cannot be determined (eax=0x0,
> > err=0) uvesafb: scrolling: ywrap using protected mode interface,
> > yres_virtual=1536 uvesafb: framebuffer at 0xd0000000, mapped to
> > 0xf8880000, using 6144k, total 16384k
>
> Looks okay, but i don't know much about ATI cards!

> Can you post the output of
> "cat /sys/devices/platform/uvesafb.0/vbe_modes"

This is what I get, there's no 1280x1024 available:
320x200-8, 0x0182
320x200-15, 0x010d
320x200-16, 0x010e
320x200-24, 0x010f
320x200-32, 0x0120
320x240-8, 0x0192
320x240-15, 0x0193
320x240-16, 0x0194
320x240-24, 0x0195
320x240-32, 0x0196
400x300-8, 0x01a2
400x300-15, 0x01a3
400x300-16, 0x01a4
400x300-24, 0x01a5
400x300-32, 0x01a6
512x384-8, 0x01b2
512x384-15, 0x01b3
512x384-16, 0x01b4
512x384-24, 0x01b5
512x384-32, 0x01b6
640x350-8, 0x01c2
640x350-15, 0x01c3
640x350-16, 0x01c4
640x350-24, 0x01c5
640x350-32, 0x01c6
640x400-8, 0x0100
640x400-15, 0x0183
640x400-16, 0x0184
640x400-24, 0x0185
640x400-32, 0x0186
640x480-8, 0x0101
640x480-15, 0x0110
640x480-16, 0x0111
640x480-24, 0x0112
640x480-32, 0x0121
800x600-8, 0x0103
800x600-15, 0x0113
800x600-16, 0x0114
800x600-24, 0x0115
800x600-32, 0x0122
1024x768-8, 0x0105
1024x768-15, 0x0116
1024x768-16, 0x0117
1024x768-24, 0x0118
1024x768-32, 0x0123

> > although the quality of the image is poor (it looks sort of pixelated)
>
> What do you mean by this? I will attach a grab of a 1024x768 framebuffer
> image with the livecd-2007.0 theme, which looks okay here!
>
> What about trying a higher frequency, i have 75Hz here! Or is your
> monitor not capable of this frequency?

What I mean is that when if fades in it creates artifacts on the screen (is
this a matter of uvesafb not having acceleration?). Also the background
image when I press F2 is not clear. It looks as if it is a smaller
resolution stretched over a larger screen.
Mick

Old 04-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Mick schrieb:

[...]

What about the silent screen does it also look unclear or just the
verbose screen.

I don't have any artifacts here and the picture is clear, even with the
connected TV where i only get 1024x768.

I think I can't help you any further here. Maybe you could contact the
maintainer of uvesafb, splashutils (spock@gentoo.org). Probably he could
help you, although he seems busy with other things at the moment.

Regards,

Daniel