FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-09-2012, 04:54 AM
Joshua Murphy
 
Default Linux Live CD to perform hardware audit?

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> Excuse me for starting an off-topic thread,
>
> But do any of you guys/gals know of a Live CD distro that can perform
> hardware audit? i.e., detect installed processor model, RAM parameters &
> layout, etc.
>
> It's gotta be a Live CD because the boxes currently installed are running
> either VMware or XenServer and I am reluctant to open them up. So I guess
> I'll just shutdown the box, boot using the Live CD, record all important
> info, and reboot into the hypervisor.
>
> Rgds,

Pretty much any livecd that'll boot can do the job... lspci -vv,
/proc/cpuinfo, /proc/meminfo, and fdisk -l (which'll catch any drives
the running kernel sees at least) are pretty standard, and it wouldn't
take much to include a script that calls those, dumps the output
somewhere, then reboots. For more extensive info, dmidecode and lshw
tend to give more detail, but are a little less 'standard'. Notably,
dmidecode gives things like per-slot ram information.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy
 
Old 02-09-2012, 05:47 AM
Andrew Tchernoivanov
 
Default Linux Live CD to perform hardware audit?

I use SystemRescueCD and a tool called AIDA. It*shows hardware information in more "friendly"way by using*ncurses. And also there is no need to boot LiveCD itself - it stars form grub. *

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> Excuse me for starting an off-topic thread,

>

> But do any of you guys/gals know of a Live CD distro that can perform

> hardware audit? i.e., detect installed processor model, RAM parameters &

> layout, etc.

>

> It's gotta be a Live CD because the boxes currently installed are running

> either VMware or XenServer and I am reluctant to open them up. So I guess

> I'll just shutdown the box, boot using the Live CD, record all important

> info, and reboot into the hypervisor.

>

> Rgds,



Pretty much any livecd that'll boot can do the job... lspci -vv,

/proc/cpuinfo, /proc/meminfo, and fdisk -l (which'll catch any drives

the running kernel sees at least) are pretty standard, and it wouldn't

take much to include a script that calls those, dumps the output

somewhere, then reboots. For more extensive info, dmidecode and lshw

tend to give more detail, but are a little less 'standard'. Notably,

dmidecode gives things like per-slot ram information.



--

Poison [BLX]

Joshua M. Murphy





--
С уважением,
Черноиванов Андрей
 
Old 02-09-2012, 06:06 AM
Pandu Poluan
 
Default Linux Live CD to perform hardware audit?

On Feb 9, 2012 12:58 PM, "Joshua Murphy" <poisonbl@gmail.com> wrote:

>

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> > Excuse me for starting an off-topic thread,

> >

> > But do any of you guys/gals know of a Live CD distro that can perform

> > hardware audit? i.e., detect installed processor model, RAM parameters &

> > layout, etc.

> >

> > It's gotta be a Live CD because the boxes currently installed are running

> > either VMware or XenServer and I am reluctant to open them up. So I guess

> > I'll just shutdown the box, boot using the Live CD, record all important

> > info, and reboot into the hypervisor.

> >

> > Rgds,

>

> Pretty much any livecd that'll boot can do the job... lspci -vv,

> /proc/cpuinfo, /proc/meminfo, and fdisk -l (which'll catch any drives

> the running kernel sees at least) are pretty standard, and it wouldn't

> take much to include a script that calls those, dumps the output

> somewhere, then reboots. For more extensive info, dmidecode and lshw

> tend to give more detail, but are a little less 'standard'. Notably,

> dmidecode gives things like per-slot ram information.

>


Well, I need that kind of information, so I guess I'll have to go "non-standard" :-)


Rgds,
 
Old 02-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Pandu Poluan
 
Default Linux Live CD to perform hardware audit?

On Feb 9, 2012 1:50 PM, "Andrew Tchernoivanov" <tchernoivanov@gmail.com> wrote:

>

> I use SystemRescueCD and a tool called AIDA. It*shows hardware information in more "friendly"

> way by using*ncurses. And also there is no need to boot LiveCD itself - it stars form grub. *

>


Ah, thank you!


I'll still burn a CD, though. Much easier to reboot from a CD than having to edit grub in 10+ boxes.


Rgds,
 
Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Andrew Tchernoivanov
 
Default Linux Live CD to perform hardware audit?

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:


Ah, thank you!


I'll still burn a CD, though. Much easier to reboot from a CD than having to edit grub in 10+ boxes.


Rgds,


You could also use unetbootin to make bootable USB-stick. *
--
С уважением,
Черноиванов Андрей
 
Old 02-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Pandu Poluan
 
Default Linux Live CD to perform hardware audit?

On Feb 9, 2012 2:29 PM, "Andrew Tchernoivanov" <tchernoivanov@gmail.com> wrote:

>

>

>

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

>>

>> Ah, thank you!

>>

>> I'll still burn a CD, though. Much easier to reboot from a CD than having to edit grub in 10+ boxes.

>>

>> Rgds,

>

>

> You could also use unetbootin to make bootable USB-stick. *

>


Some of my boxes for strange reasons refuse to boot from USB. Rather than troubleshooting, I chose the easy way out ;-)


Rgds,
 
Old 02-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Michael Hampicke
 
Default Linux Live CD to perform hardware audit?

> But do any of you guys/gals know of a Live CD distro that can perform
> hardware audit? i.e., detect installed processor model, RAM parameters &
> layout, etc.

Some days ago I was using the parted magic live cd [1]. It had a tool
that listed all hardware in a nice fashion. I don't recall it's name -
but looking at the list of programs that come with parted magic [2] I
guess it was hardinfo.

[1] http://partedmagic.com/
[2] http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=programs
 
Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Linux Live CD to perform hardware audit?

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 00:54:19 -0500
Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info>
> wrote:
> > Excuse me for starting an off-topic thread,
> >
> > But do any of you guys/gals know of a Live CD distro that can
> > perform hardware audit? i.e., detect installed processor model, RAM
> > parameters & layout, etc.
> >
> > It's gotta be a Live CD because the boxes currently installed are
> > running either VMware or XenServer and I am reluctant to open them
> > up. So I guess I'll just shutdown the box, boot using the Live CD,
> > record all important info, and reboot into the hypervisor.
> >
> > Rgds,
>
> Pretty much any livecd that'll boot can do the job... lspci -vv,
> /proc/cpuinfo, /proc/meminfo, and fdisk -l (which'll catch any drives
> the running kernel sees at least) are pretty standard, and it wouldn't
> take much to include a script that calls those, dumps the output
> somewhere, then reboots. For more extensive info, dmidecode and lshw
> tend to give more detail, but are a little less 'standard'. Notably,
> dmidecode gives things like per-slot ram information.
>

Software does indeed make this process so much easier. We use dmidecode for this too.

All the machines in the data center run ocsng
(http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org) to automate the entire process, but
that's way beyond what the OP needs

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
 
Old 02-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Paul Hartman
 
Default Linux Live CD to perform hardware audit?

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@hadt.biz> wrote:
>> But do any of you guys/gals know of a Live CD distro that can perform
>> hardware audit? i.e., detect installed processor model, RAM parameters &
>> layout, etc.
>
> Some days ago I was using the parted magic live cd [1]. It had a tool
> that listed all hardware in a nice fashion. I don't recall it's name -
> but looking at the list of programs that come with parted magic [2] I
> guess it was hardinfo.
>
> [1] http://partedmagic.com/
> [2] http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=programs

I'll give another vote for partedmagic, aside from running gparted
it's also got some good general-purpose tools. It also loads itself
into RAM and ejects the disc once it's loaded, so if you're using it
on multiple machines you can use one disc to load them all at once.
 
Old 02-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Pandu Poluan
 
Default Linux Live CD to perform hardware audit?

On Feb 9, 2012 10:18 PM, "Paul Hartman" <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

>

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@hadt.biz> wrote:

> >> But do any of you guys/gals know of a Live CD distro that can perform

> >> hardware audit? i.e., detect installed processor model, RAM parameters &

> >> layout, etc.

> >

> > Some days ago I was using the parted magic live cd [1]. It had a tool

> > that listed all hardware in a nice fashion. I don't recall it's name -

> > but looking at the list of programs that come with parted magic [2] I

> > guess it was hardinfo.

> >

> > [1] http://partedmagic.com/

> > [2] http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=programs

>

> I'll give another vote for partedmagic, aside from running gparted

> it's also got some good general-purpose tools. It also loads itself

> into RAM and ejects the disc once it's loaded, so if you're using it

> on multiple machines you can use one disc to load them all at once.

>


Although a nice benefit, I think I'm going to do it the old way... after all, everytime I have to shutdown a box, I have to first migrate the VMs within to another host. So, no chance to shut them all at the same time.



Rgds,
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org