Old 02-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Joseph

Default Google - can not open any link

I can not seem to open any link in Google search engine. I'm using firefox-9.0
Google search display the result but when I try to open it it doesn't work.

I don't have any plugin's installed
Proxy is set to "no-proxy"

By 2nd. backup computer as the same problem. Trying open any link from Google search doesn't work. Bing work OK
My 3rd. backup computer works but when I change Cookies accept: "ask every time"
I can not open any link form Google search.

I try to change the same setting on my main server and cookies setting make no difference.

I've downgraded 2nd. backup computer to firefox-bin-8.0 and opening link is working OK in Google.

I just notice this strange behavior yesterday and have not clue why is it behaving this way.

--
Joseph

Old 02-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Michael Hampicke

Am 08.02.2012 19:24, schrieb Joseph:
> I can not seem to open any link in Google search engine. I'm using
> firefox-9.0
> Google search display the result but when I try to open it it doesn't work.
>
> I don't have any plugin's installed
> Proxy is set to "no-proxy"
>
> By 2nd. backup computer as the same problem. Trying open any link from
> Google search doesn't work. Bing work OK
> My 3rd. backup computer works but when I change Cookies accept: "ask
> every time" I can not open any link form Google search.
>
> I try to change the same setting on my main server and cookies setting
> make no difference.
>
> I've downgraded 2nd. backup computer to firefox-bin-8.0 and opening link
> is working OK in Google.
>
> I just notice this strange behavior yesterday and have not clue why is
> it behaving this way.

Maybe some crazy JavaScript foo of google. I have no problem here, I do
not allow google to set cookies nor to execute any kind of scripts
including javascript.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Joseph

[...]

You are right on; I disable Java in firefox and now can open links in google search.
This is getting strange. One day it is working and next day it stops (I did not even installed anything).

Though, I do accept cookies selectively.

--
Joseph

Old 02-09-2012, 03:24 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 11:58:26AM -0700, Joseph wrote

> You are right on; I disable Java in firefox and now can open links
> in google search. This is getting strange. One day it is working
> and next day it stops (I did not even installed anything).
>
> Though, I do accept cookies selectively.

That's ***JAVASCRIPT***. I'm not being nitpicky. Those are 2 totally
different items. I ran into the same problem as you.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 02-09-2012, 04:53 AM
Joseph

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 11:58:26AM -0700, Joseph wrote

You are right on; I disable Java in firefox and now can open links
in google search. This is getting strange. One day it is working
and next day it stops (I did not even installed anything).

Though, I do accept cookies selectively.

That's ***JAVASCRIPT***. I'm not being nitpicky. Those are 2 totally
different items. I ran into the same problem as you.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

If I disable Java under: Preference --> Content: JavaScript
I can open the link but I need "JavaScript" to be enabled as some of my internal program depend on it.

What is causing it? I downgraded to Firefox-8 same thing. I can not open any Google links if "JavaScript" is enabled.

--
Joseph

Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Michael Hampicke

> You are right on; I disable Java in firefox and now can open links in
> google search.

As I said, I have disabled cookies and javascript for goolge.de (using
cookiemonster an noscript). But as I sometimes use google maps, I allow
javascript on google.com and then use google.com for maps - with cookies
disalbed. And here I have the same issue as you have, I cannot open the
links, but the strange thing is: it's not all the time, sometimes it
works, sometimes it does not.

Who knows what google guys were doing. Maybe they left a screw driver in
there or something

Old 02-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Joseph

You are right on; I disable Java in firefox and now can open links in
google search.

As I said, I have disabled cookies and javascript for goolge.de (using
cookiemonster an noscript). But as I sometimes use google maps, I allow
javascript on google.com and then use google.com for maps - with cookies
disalbed. And here I have the same issue as you have, I cannot open the
links, but the strange thing is: it's not all the time, sometimes it
works, sometimes it does not.

Who knows what google guys were doing. Maybe they left a screw driver in
there or something

I just got a hint from Gentoo forum. It seems to me others got hit by the same issue.
----quote------
Google is getting crappier and crappier by the day. What happened to the lean, mean, simple search engine that
everyone fell in love with? Now they're just bloating it with unnecessary javascript crap.

Hmm, one idea: Do you accept cookies from google? I don't. If you don't either, try activating them and see if it works then.
------end quote------

I'm switching to Bing search engine. It seems to me Google is getting evil now.

--
Joseph

Old 02-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Michael Mol

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/09/12 09:30, Michael Hampicke wrote:
>>>
>>> You are right on; I disable Java in firefox and now can open links in
>>> google search.
>>

>> As I said, I have disabled cookies and javascript for goolge.de (using
>> cookiemonster an noscript). But as I sometimes use google maps, I allow
>> javascript on google.com and then use google.com for maps - with cookies
>> disalbed. And here I have the same issue as you have, I cannot open the
>> links, but the strange thing is: it's not all the time, sometimes it
>> works, sometimes it does not.
>>
>> Who knows what google guys were doing. Maybe they left a screw driver in
>> there or something
>>

> I just got a hint from Gentoo forum. *It seems to me others got hit by the
> same issue.
> ----quote------
> Google is getting crappier and crappier by the day. What happened to the
> lean, mean, simple search engine that everyone fell in love with? Now
> they're just bloating it with unnecessary javascript crap.
>
> Hmm, one idea: Do you accept cookies from google? I don't. If you don't
> either, try activating them and see if it works then.
> ------end quote------
>
> I'm switching to Bing search engine. It seems to me Google is getting evil
> now.

I very much like DuckDuckGo. It uses Bing as its back-end, but applies
filters, etc, to clean out known spam and copy-and-ad sites. If I
can't find something with DuckDuckGo, then I try Google as a followup.
(DDG doesn't handle long literals very well; queries for things like
long model numbers don't usually work out.)

You can also use it as a calculator, like you can Google, but it
defers calculations (and other relevant things) to Wolfram Alpha.
Queries on some other things will quote verbatim Wikipedia, and you
can click through to get to the WP page.

It's very nice.

--
:wq