Old 11-27-2007, 02:24 PM

Default WIn2003 interfering Samba ?

Hello,

I have an Samba server as a PDC running in a local network. Everything
works fine. Now we installed a Windows 2003 Small Business Server with MS
SQL in the network, because one application needs the MS SQL Server..
Honestly I have no great knowledge of MS Server and Networks, so I left it
pretty much untouched.

Now two clients are not able anymore to access the shares on the samba
server which an strange error message (in German in fact) meaning
something like "cannot retrieve informations from domain controller". I
never saw that before and now i am concerned that the windows server is
interfering somehow with the Samba PDC.

Any ideas ? Hints ?

Thanks
Stonki

Old 12-01-2007, 06:40 AM
Daniel Iliev

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:24:01 +0100 (CET)
support@stonki.de wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an Samba server as a PDC running in a local network. Everything
> works fine. Now we installed a Windows 2003 Small Business Server
> with MS SQL in the network, because one application needs the MS SQL
> Server.. Honestly I have no great knowledge of MS Server and
> Networks, so I left it pretty much untouched.
>
> Now two clients are not able anymore to access the shares on the samba
> server which an strange error message (in German in fact) meaning
> something like "cannot retrieve informations from domain controller".
> I never saw that before and now i am concerned that the windows
> server is interfering somehow with the Samba PDC.
>
> Any ideas ? Hints ?
>
> Thanks
> Stonki

Hi,

If my memory serves well, I've read/heard somewhere that the SBS
edition of MS Win2003 is pre-set to be "The PDC". Assuming this is the
case, my guess is that your Win2003 and the existing Gentoo SAMBA
server are both declaring them selves as "The PDC". Depending on
different conditions in your network some clients see the SAMBA server
as the PDC, and others see the MS SBS as the PDC.

Again, I'm not sure about all this, so use it just as a hint in your
investigation.

--
Best regards,
Daniel