Old 04-18-2011, 10:50 AM
James Allsopp

Default Nvidia drivers

I get this happening
Hawaiian:/home/ja# aptitude install nvidia-kernel-dkms
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.

so not really sure where to go from here.
Jim

Old 04-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Brad Rogers

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:50:51 +0100
James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hello James,

> I get this happening
> Hawaiian:/home/ja# aptitude install nvidia-kernel-dkms
> No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.

Looks as though you haven't got "non-free" included. Add that, reload
and try again.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 04-18-2011, 11:41 AM
James Allsopp

Hi,
My source.list has the following;

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

but I'm not sure what you mean about reloading?

Best regards
James

Old 04-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Brad Rogers

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 12:41:46 +0100
James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hello James,

> but I'm not sure what you mean about reloading?

Any time you update your sources you need to reload the package list, to
ensure you've got the most up to date list of packages. Using aptitude,
that's a

# aptitude update

Sorry if you already know this, and my initial description was poor.

If you've done that, IDK why the *-dkms packages aren't showing up.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
If a thought came in your head it would die of loneliness
I Don't Like You - Stiff Little Fingers

Old 04-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Erwan David

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 01:41:46PM CEST, James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp@googlemail.com> said:
> Hi,
> My source.list has the following;
>
> deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
> deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
>
> but I'm not sure what you mean about reloading?

Add non-free at the first two lines, then do an aptitude update.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:38 PM
James Allsopp

Done, that and still get the same error; full output is
Hawaiian:/home/ja# aptitude install nvidia-kernel-dkms
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
W: Did not understand pin type *

I think the pin type error is where I tried to force grub to not upgrade
to grub2,

Thanks,
Jim

Old 04-18-2011, 04:28 PM
James Allsopp

Hi,
I've recently after Squeeze went stable, changed my sources.list from
having the keyword testing to stable.

I've tried
apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-nvidia-glx

apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-kernel-dkms

which reinstalled those files but I think that there may be a linking
problem in
Hawaiian:/home/ja# ls -l /usr/lib/libGLc*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Apr 18 15:38 /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 ->
libGLcore.so.195.36.31
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 20713400 Jan 12 2010 /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.190.53
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 28862968 Jun 3 2010 /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.195.36.31

Again any advice, and I'd be very grateful,

Best regards
James

Old 04-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Ron Johnson

Do you have nvidia-glx installed? That's what I think you need.

Install nouveau (that should clean out all the Debian nvidia stuff) then
clean out the nvidia stuff that you installed privately, then install
nvidia-glx.

corrupt."

Archive: 4DACA68F.2080001@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DACA68F.2080001@cox.net

Old 04-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Stephen Powell

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 06:29:26 -0400 (EDT), James Allsopp wrote:

> Not really sure how I should move from here. I want the proprietary
> nvidia drivers as I want to have compiz and use CUDA, so if someone can
> point me in the direction of the best way to achieve this I would be
> very grateful.
>
> Also I find the whole kernel situation in Debian quite confusing as
> opposed to Gentoo (my other system) where you just install you're own
> kernel, compile it and then install the modules. Any advice on
> recommended documents I should be reading?

If what you want to do is compile your own custom kernel and use the
Nvidia drivers as well, then I suggest the following web page:

http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

It is a detailed guide to kernel building in Debian that may answer
some of your general questions. Plus, it has a specific example for
building a custom kernel that uses the Nvidia drivers.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :