Old 04-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Dan Farrell

Default 2008.0 install media

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 18:46:49 +0000 (UTC)
James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Pongracz Istvan <pongracz.istvan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > > I've got several boxen that need to be installed so I was hoping
> > > to test drive 2008.0....
>
> > AFAIK the releng team are working on the next release (2008.0) but
> > I do not know the details.
>

> Thanks to all that responded. I guess I'll be messing around with the
> beta versions.....
>
> Thanks to all for info...
> (I did not look at gentoo.org for a few days.....)
>

> James

Install from 2007.0 with interet:
- most recent stage3
- most recent portage
therefore most recent system
Install from 2008.0-beta with internet:
- same stage3
- same portage
therefore same system

net benefit of 2008.0: none.
net drawback of 2008.0: hassle (beta)

Old 04-01-2008, 10:18 PM
darren kirby

quoth the Dan Farrell:

> net benefit of 2008.0: none.

The benefit is that the beta gets tested, and we all move that much closer to
a stable 2008.0 release.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Neil Walker

Dan Farrell wrote:

Install from 2007.0 with interet:
- most recent stage3
- most recent portage
therefore most recent system
Install from 2008.0-beta with internet:
- same stage3
- same portage
therefore same system

net benefit of 2008.0: none.
net drawback of 2008.0: hassle (beta)

Wrong. There is a 2008.0-beta stage to go with the Install/LiveCD.
Alternatively, you can use an updated 2007.0 stage from Funtoo
(Daniel Robbins) with either.

Be lucky,
Neil

believed to be clean.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:39 AM
Dan Farrell

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 23:18:33 +0100
Neil Walker <neil@ep.mine.nu> wrote:

> Dan Farrell wrote:
> > Install from 2007.0 with interet:
> > - most recent stage3
> > - most recent portage
> > therefore most recent system
> > Install from 2008.0-beta with internet:
> > - same stage3
> > - same portage
> > therefore same system
> >
> > net benefit of 2008.0: none.
> > net drawback of 2008.0: hassle (beta)
>
> Wrong. There is a 2008.0-beta stage to go with the Install/LiveCD.
> Alternatively, you can use an updated 2007.0 stage from Funtoo
> (Daniel Robbins) with either.
>
> Be lucky,
> Neil

All right, fair enough. A new beta stage. But still probably not
perfectly current, nor optimized for the system. Darren's reason was
better ;-)

Old 04-02-2008, 02:39 AM
Dan Farrell

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:18:05 -0600
darren kirby <bulliver@badcomputer.org> wrote:

> quoth the Dan Farrell:
>
> > net benefit of 2008.0: none.
>
> The benefit is that the beta gets tested, and we all move that much
> closer to a stable 2008.0 release.

True, I suppose. I tend to be a little draconian with my dismissal of
the liveCDs I guess. I usually install from another system these
days.