Old 04-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Eric Martin

Default X crashes on Suspend to Disk ( hibernate )

Old 04-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Thomas Kahle

Old 04-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Thomas Kahle

Eric Martin wrote:
| Thomas Kahle wrote:
| | Hi,
| |
| | for a couple of days now, no idea how it started, my X-Server crashes
| | when coming back from suspend to disk. I use kernel 2.6.25-rc6,
| | xorg-server 1.4.0.90 and coming back from suspend to ram works
| | perfectly. There is absolutely nothing in the logs. Just when the
| | applications awake from sleep, they all report broken pipes and find
| | X-Server is gone.
| | X.org.log shows nothing.
| |
| | any ideas where to start investigaion?
|
| Are you using anything on top of X?
Openbox Desktop with some kde4-apps like konsole, okular, etc...

is your swap file >= RAM?
yes it is, and actually it used to work more or less before i started to
fiddle with the display driver. So, to be more explicit:
One week ago I was using the 2.2.1 version of i810 display driver.
Coming back from Suspend (Disk OR Ram) it freezed the system in around
1/4 of the cases. I wanted to solve that. Now I am using the 2.2.99
version of the i810 driver and suspend to RAM works perfectly, is very
fast and shows no freezes, while suspend to Disk gives the crashes of X.
But the system resumes perfectly from console. And after X crashed
"startx" brings it back and everything is fine...
The strange thing here is, that changing the driver back does not change
the behaviour back. It is something else appearently.

~ I don't
| know if it will even let you suspend if that's not the case but I'll ask
| anyway.
I use hibernate-script which can be run with verbose output and
everything looks fine there. A attached a typical run below...

~ Does /var/log/messages and/or dmesg show anything?
no

- --- snip ----
output of hibernate-script:
hibernate: [01] Executing NoteLastResume ...
hibernate: [01] Executing LockFilePut ...
hibernate: [01] Executing CheckLastResume ...
hibernate: [01] Executing CheckRunlevel ...
hibernate: [01] Executing LockFileGet ...
hibernate: [01] Executing NewKernelFileCheck ...
hibernate: [10] Executing EnsureSysfsPowerStateCapable ...
hibernate: [11] Executing XHacksSuspendHook1 ...
hibernate: [12] Executing IbmAcpiStartSuspend ...
hibernate: [59] Executing RemountXFSBootRO ...
hibernate: [61] Executing NMSuspend ...
hibernate: [89] Executing SaveKernelModprobe ...
hibernate: [91] Executing ModulesUnloadBlacklist ...
hibernate: [91] Executing ModulesUnloadBlacklist ...
hibernate: [95] Executing XHacksSuspendHook2 ...
hibernate: [98] Executing CheckRunlevel ...
hibernate: [99] Executing DoSysfsPowerStateSuspend ...
hibernate: Activating sysfs power state disk ...
hibernate: [90] Executing ModulesLoad ...
hibernate: [89] Executing RestoreKernelModprobe ...
hibernate: [85] Executing XHacksResumeHook2 ...
hibernate: [70] Executing ClockRestore ...
hibernate: [70] Executing ClockRestore ...
hibernate: [61] Executing NMResume ...
hibernate: [59] Executing RemountXFSBootRW ...
hibernate: [12] Executing IbmAcpiEndResume ...
hibernate: [11] Executing XHacksResumeHook1 ...

Old 04-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Thomas Kahle