Old 04-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Willie Wong

Default Nvidia drivers

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 07:10:48PM +0000, James wrote:
> These cards were supported by the Nvidia legacy driver
> but now that's gone there is no support for these cards.
> So I guess I'd like to replace them with something that
> is open source on the driver, so as to keep support a long time.
> (perhaps an old ATI card?)
> I think they are AGP 4 motherboards.

Huh? Whatdya mean they are gone?

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml

Just put >=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-87.00 in
/etc/portage/package.mask

and you'll get the legacy drivers, no?

And if you only use them for 2D graphics, might want to try the nv
driver.

HTH,

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Dienstag, 1. April 2008, James wrote:
> hello,
>
> I have a couple of old 32bit amd athlon XP systems:
>
> They have very old, no longer supported nvidia cards:
>
> NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] && NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]

that is not true. Both cards are still supported by nvidia drivers.

The Gf2 based ones are supported by the 7186 drivers - which are even in
portage.

The FX card ist even supported by the latest drivers!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Dale

James wrote:

hello,

I have a couple of old 32bit amd athlon XP systems:

They have very old, no longer supported nvidia cards:

NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] && NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]

All ebuilds that could satisfy
"x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers" have been masked"

These systems are used to run jffnms, postgresql rrdtool
to show network devices and their status. Nothing fancy
just 2D and kde.

These cards were supported by the Nvidia legacy driver
but now that's gone there is no support for these cards.
So I guess I'd like to replace them with something that
is open source on the driver, so as to keep support a long time.
(perhaps an old ATI card?)

I think they are AGP 4 motherboards.

I intend to use them for a long time as to drive a graphical
display for network monitoring and management.

Any low cost suggestions are most welcome, particularly something
that is open source on the driver, so I can keep them useful
for a long time.

James

I have this card as reported by lspci:

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
5200] (rev a1)

This is the driver that I use:

[I--] [ -] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-169.09-r1 (0)

This is the setting in my make.conf file for this card:

VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"

It all seems to work fine here so may be worth a try to see if it will
work for you as well. I use KDE here and the video works very well for
a older card.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-01-2008, 10:13 PM
James

Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann <at> tu-clausthal.de> writes:

> > NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] && NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]

> that is not true. Both cards are still supported by nvidia drivers.

> The FX card ist even supported by the latest drivers!
Yep I got this one(FX 5200) working with the lastest driver.

> The Gf2 based ones are supported by the 7186 drivers - which are even in
> portage.

Hmmm,
I'm using 2.6.24-gentoo-r3.

Emerging (1 of 1) x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-71.86.01
<snip>
*** Unable to determine the target kernel version. ***

make: *** [select_makefile] Error 1
*
* ERROR: x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-71.86.01 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 49: Called src_compile
* environment, line 3558: Called linux-mod_src_compile
* environment, line 2624: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* emake HOSTCC="$(tc-getBUILD_CC)" CC="$(get-KERNEL_CC)"
LDFLAGS="$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)" ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS} ||
die "Unable to make ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS}.";
* The die message:
* Unable to make IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=yes V=1 SYSSRC=/usr/src/linux
SYSOUT=/lib/modules/2.6.24-gentoo-r3/build clean module.

I've never seen this before....
" Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option."

So where/how do I set the SYSSRC variable?

Or is something else wrong?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Neil Walker

James wrote:

They have very old, no longer supported nvidia cards:

NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] && NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]

Utterly wrong. The GeForce2 is supported by the 96.43.xx series of
drivers and the FX5200 is still supported by the unified driver.

Be lucky,

Neil

believed to be clean.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Dale

James wrote:

[...]

Did you make the symlink to the kernel sources? /usr/src/linux should
point to the current kernel version like this:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 2008-03-03 21:26 linux ->
/usr/src/linux-2.6.23-gentoo-r8/

Your version may vary tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Neil Walker

James wrote:

I'm using 2.6.24-gentoo-r3.

Emerging (1 of 1) x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-71.86.01
<snip>

*** Unable to determine the target kernel version. ***

Do you have the /usr/src/linux symlink pointing to the kernel source
tree you are using?

Be lucky,

Neil

believed to be clean.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 PM
James

Neil Walker <neil <at> ep.mine.nu> writes:

> Utterly wrong. The GeForce2 is supported by the 96.43.xx series of
> drivers and the FX5200 is still supported by the unified driver.

YES the 96.43.05 version compiled and is working. How/where did you
learn which nvidia cards are supported by which version of the
nvidia-drivers?

James

Old 04-01-2008, 10:51 PM
darren kirby

quoth the James:
> Neil Walker <neil <at> ep.mine.nu> writes:
> > Utterly wrong. The GeForce2 is supported by the 96.43.xx series of
> > drivers and the FX5200 is still supported by the unified driver.
>
> YES the 96.43.05 version compiled and is working. How/where did you
> learn which nvidia cards are supported by which version of the
> nvidia-drivers?
>

> James

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Each driver has its own page with a "supported products" link on the left
side.

-d

Old 04-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Neil Walker

James wrote:
How/where did you learn which nvidia cards are supported by which version of the
nvidia-drivers?

It's in the README file in the package.

Be lucky,

Neil