Old 04-01-2008, 05:31 PM
"Mark Knecht"

Default Windows terminal to allow ssh into my Gentoo machine?

Hi,
I'm forced to work on some windows machines for the next couple of
days and want to find a simple app that would allow me command line
access to my Gentoo server. Does anyone here know of one? I don't need
anything more than a terminal that supports ssh so that I can do
emerge work.

I'd be most comfortable with a single, simple, all-in-one app if possible.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 04-01-2008, 05:36 PM
"Dirk Heinrichs"

Am Dienstag, 1. April 2008 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> Hi,
> I'm forced to work on some windows machines for the next couple of
> days and want to find a simple app that would allow me command line
> access to my Gentoo server. Does anyone here know of one? I don't need
> anything more than a terminal that supports ssh so that I can do
> emerge work.

putty for the bare connect, cygwin incl. Xorg if you also want to use X apps
on the Gentoo machine.

Bye...

Dirk

Old 04-01-2008, 05:37 PM
"Mark Knecht"

Found PuTTY. Seems to work OK for my needs.

Sorry for the noise,
Mark

Old 04-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Willie Wong

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 10:31:56AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I'm forced to work on some windows machines for the next couple of
> days and want to find a simple app that would allow me command line
> access to my Gentoo server. Does anyone here know of one? I don't need
> anything more than a terminal that supports ssh so that I can do
> emerge work.
>
> I'd be most comfortable with a single, simple, all-in-one app if possible.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Putty. It comes as a standalone applications you can put on a usb disk
and just run.

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Michael Schmarck

Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>:

> access to my Gentoo server. Does anyone here know of one? I don't need
> anything more than a terminal that supports ssh so that I can do
> emerge work.
>
> I'd be most comfortable with a single, simple, all-in-one app if possible.

PuTTY - that's basically *THE* terminal app for windows.
It offers telnet, rsh, ssh, rlogin and also sftp and scp.

Michael Schmarck
--
Remember the... the... uhh.....

Old 04-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Tuesday 1 April 2008, 19:31, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm forced to work on some windows machines for the next couple of
> days and want to find a simple app that would allow me command line
> access to my Gentoo server. Does anyone here know of one? I don't need
> anything more than a terminal that supports ssh so that I can do
> emerge work.
>
> I'd be most comfortable with a single, simple, all-in-one app if
> possible.

I think putty can suit your needs. It's a single .exe file that doesn't
even need to be installed.
There are other command line utilities like pscp.exe, psftp.exe etc. if
you need to copy files or do other ssh-related tasks like key
generation, etc.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 PM
"James"

> Hi,
> I'm forced to work on some windows machines for the next couple of
> days and want to find a simple app that would allow me command line
> access to my Gentoo server. Does anyone here know of one? I don't need
> anything more than a terminal that supports ssh so that I can do
> emerge work.
>
> I'd be most comfortable with a single, simple, all-in-one app if
> possible.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

How about sshing in?