-   -   Windows terminal to allow ssh into my Gentoo machine? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/62564-windows-terminal-allow-ssh-into-my-gentoo-machine.html)

"Mark Knecht" 04-01-2008 05:31 PM

Windows terminal to allow ssh into my Gentoo machine?

Hi,
I'm forced to work on some windows machines for the next couple of
days and want to find a simple app that would allow me command line
access to my Gentoo server. Does anyone here know of one? I don't need
anything more than a terminal that supports ssh so that I can do
emerge work.

I'd be most comfortable with a single, simple, all-in-one app if possible.

Thanks,
Mark

"Dirk Heinrichs" 04-01-2008 05:36 PM

Am Dienstag, 1. April 2008 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> Hi,
> I'm forced to work on some windows machines for the next couple of
> days and want to find a simple app that would allow me command line
> access to my Gentoo server. Does anyone here know of one? I don't need
> anything more than a terminal that supports ssh so that I can do
> emerge work.

putty for the bare connect, cygwin incl. Xorg if you also want to use X apps
on the Gentoo machine.

Bye...

Dirk

"Mark Knecht" 04-01-2008 05:37 PM

Windows terminal to allow ssh into my Gentoo machine?

Found PuTTY. Seems to work OK for my needs.

Sorry for the noise,
Mark

Willie Wong 04-01-2008 05:39 PM

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 10:31:56AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I'm forced to work on some windows machines for the next couple of
> days and want to find a simple app that would allow me command line
> access to my Gentoo server. Does anyone here know of one? I don't need
> anything more than a terminal that supports ssh so that I can do
> emerge work.
>
> I'd be most comfortable with a single, simple, all-in-one app if possible.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Putty. It comes as a standalone applications you can put on a usb disk
and just run.

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.

Michael Schmarck 04-01-2008 05:45 PM

Windows terminal to allow ssh into my Gentoo machine?

Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>:

> access to my Gentoo server. Does anyone here know of one? I don't need
> anything more than a terminal that supports ssh so that I can do
> emerge work.
>
> I'd be most comfortable with a single, simple, all-in-one app if possible.

PuTTY - that's basically *THE* terminal app for windows.
It offers telnet, rsh, ssh, rlogin and also sftp and scp.

Michael Schmarck
--
Remember the... the... uhh.....

Etaoin Shrdlu 04-01-2008 05:58 PM

On Tuesday 1 April 2008, 19:31, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm forced to work on some windows machines for the next couple of
> days and want to find a simple app that would allow me command line
> access to my Gentoo server. Does anyone here know of one? I don't need
> anything more than a terminal that supports ssh so that I can do
> emerge work.
>
> I'd be most comfortable with a single, simple, all-in-one app if
> possible.

I think putty can suit your needs. It's a single .exe file that doesn't
even need to be installed.
There are other command line utilities like pscp.exe, psftp.exe etc. if
you need to copy files or do other ssh-related tasks like key
generation, etc.

Hope this helps.

"James" 04-01-2008 07:40 PM

Windows terminal to allow ssh into my Gentoo machine?

> Hi,
> I'm forced to work on some windows machines for the next couple of
> days and want to find a simple app that would allow me command line
> access to my Gentoo server. Does anyone here know of one? I don't need
> anything more than a terminal that supports ssh so that I can do
> emerge work.
>
> I'd be most comfortable with a single, simple, all-in-one app if
> possible.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

How about sshing in?