Old 04-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Dale

Default memory upgrade

W.Kenworthy wrote:

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 01:53 -0500, Dale wrote:

W.Kenworthy wrote:

bunyip ~ # esearch lshw
[ Results for search key : lshw ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* sys-apps/lshw
Latest version available: 02.11.01b
Latest version installed: 02.11.01b
Size of downloaded files: [no/bad digest]
Homepage: http://ezix.org/project/wiki/HardwareLiSter
License: GPL-2

I tried that on mine to but didn't post it because it may not help
much. This is the only thing that I see that may help with the
frequency of the memory:

*-cpu
product: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
physical id: 4
bus info: cpu@0
version: 6.10.0
slot: Socket A
size: 1833MHz
capacity: 3GHz
width: 32 bits
*clock: 166MHz*
capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce
cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext
3dnowext 3dnow ts

Since it says the clock is 166MHz then the memory should be the same.
Only thing is, my memory has to be 333MHz not 166Mhz. Basically,
depending on a few things, that info may not help much unless he has a
idea what it takes.

My advice, find out the model of the computer if it is factory built or
the model of the mobo if it is custom built, then go to crucial.com or
something and look it up that way. Once you get the info, you can look
it up at whatever site you choose.

Also, if you have windoze on the rig, some memory sites can look it up
for you too. I'm not sure how they do that tho. I guess they can scan
something on the mobo. I dunno. No windoze here.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-) :-)

Thats the cpu - try looking at the existing memory which is what he
wants to know.

BillK

*-bank:1
product: PartNum1
vendor: Manufacturer1
physical id: 1
serial: SerNum1
slot: DIMM1
size: 1GB
width: 64 bits
clock: 400MHz (2.5ns)

That is not what mine shows tho.

*-memory
physical id: 1b
slot: System board or motherboard
size: 1GB
capacity: 1536MB
*-bank:0
physical id: 0
slot: A0
size: 512MB
*-bank:1
physical id: 1
slot: A1
*-bank:2
physical id: 2
slot: A2
size: 512MB

Nothing about speed there. He may have a newer system than mine that
does show it like yours but he may not. One of those 'your mileage may
vary' situations.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Dienstag, 1. April 2008, Dani Crisan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to buy additional memory for my computer.
> I would like to know how do I find the vendor/frequency etc of my currently
> installed ram module. lshal gives a lot of output. What should I look for?
> Is there another way?

install lm_sensors.

scan for all sensors.

modprobe eeprom

run

decode-dimms.pl -f > WHEREVERYOUWANTIT

there you get ALL information stored in the SPD-chip

Old 04-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Dani Crisan

[...]

:-)* :-)

Thank you very much for this informations.
I have installed lshw and it is very satisfactory.

Thank you. Have a nice day/night.