Old 04-01-2008, 02:27 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default What is setting "<=x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0" ????

I'm updating my newer machine (the hot-backup). Last time was in
mid-February. After doing an emerge --sync and updating portage, I'm
getting a mysterious message at the end of...

emerge --pretend --deep --update --world > x

...namely...

[blocks B] <=x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0 (is blocking x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0-r1)

I've tried the usual...
grep openmotif /etc/portage/*
revdep-rebuild --ask

Nothing shows up from either one. What do I do next?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
Stop the Squeegee Kids in Pinstripe Suits

Old 04-01-2008, 03:48 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Dienstag, 1. April 2008, Walter Dnes wrote:
> I'm updating my newer machine (the hot-backup). Last time was in
> mid-February. After doing an emerge --sync and updating portage, I'm
> getting a mysterious message at the end of...
>
> emerge --pretend --deep --update --world > x
>
> ...namely...
>
> [blocks B] <=x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0 (is blocking
> x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0-r1)
>
> I've tried the usual...
> grep openmotif /etc/portage/*
> revdep-rebuild --ask
>
> Nothing shows up from either one. What do I do next?

emerge unmerge openmotif
emerge openmotif

Old 04-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 01 April 2008, Walter Dnes wrote:
> I'm updating my newer machine (the hot-backup). Last time was in
> mid-February. After doing an emerge --sync and updating portage, I'm
> getting a mysterious message at the end of...
>
> emerge --pretend --deep --update --world > x
>
> ...namely...
>
> [blocks B] <=x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0 (is blocking
> x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0-r1)
>
> I've tried the usual...
> grep openmotif /etc/portage/*
> revdep-rebuild --ask
>
> Nothing shows up from either one. What do I do next?

What's confusing about that? The reason is in the ebuild for
x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0-r1 where it's configured to not co-exist with
any earlier version. Look carefully at the "<=" and version numbers...

To fix: unmerge the existing openmotif, merge the new one

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-02-2008, 12:40 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 05:48:22AM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote

> emerge unmerge openmotif
> emerge openmotif

Thanks; it worked. Actually, I unmerged openmotif, and then went
right to the update of world. I misread the diagnostic message...

"<=x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0 (is blocking x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0-r1)"

...as saying that some other program required a version of openmotif
which was <= 2.3.0. I figure that an older version of program x should
not be considered as a "block" to a newer version of program x. Isn't
that the whole point of "--update"?

Old 04-02-2008, 01:42 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch, 2. April 2008, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 05:48:22AM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
>
> > emerge unmerge openmotif
> > emerge openmotif
>
> Thanks; it worked. Actually, I unmerged openmotif, and then went
> right to the update of world. I misread the diagnostic message...
>
> "<=x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0 (is blocking x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0-r1)"
>
> ...as saying that some other program required a version of openmotif
> which was <= 2.3.0. I figure that an older version of program x should
> not be considered as a "block" to a newer version of program x. Isn't
> that the whole point of "--update"?

well, maybe it was done to make sure that there is a proper cleanup?

You have to ask the devs why they did it that way

Old 04-02-2008, 01:47 AM
Dale

Walter Dnes wrote:

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 05:48:22AM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote

emerge unmerge openmotif
emerge openmotif

Thanks; it worked. Actually, I unmerged openmotif, and then went
right to the update of world. I misread the diagnostic message...

"<=x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0 (is blocking x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0-r1)"

...as saying that some other program required a version of openmotif
which was <= 2.3.0. I figure that an older version of program x should
not be considered as a "block" to a newer version of program x. Isn't
that the whole point of "--update"?

I can see how that would be confusing. I have done that myself.
Generally though, whatever has the word block next to it, has to be
removed. Just make sure it is not something that portage needs. I have
never had to remove python or anything critical that I can recall but if
you are unsure, ask first by all means. Better safe than sorry.

Dale

:-) :-) :-)

Old 04-02-2008, 05:30 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Walter Dnes wrote:
> ...as saying that some other program required a version of openmotif
> which was <= 2.3.0. *I figure that an older version of program x
> should not be considered as a "block" to a newer version of program
> x. *Isn't that the whole point of "--update"?

It usually works this way but not always. There's some history behind
this one, the devs want user to have only one motif package installed
so blockers have been installed in newer ebuilds to force upgrades and
removals.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 20:40:44 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:

> I figure that an older version of program x should
> not be considered as a "block" to a newer version of program x. Isn't
> that the whole point of "--update"?

It is, but the way portage updates packages is to install the new version
and then uninstall the old. This means that at some point, you have files
from both releases installed. This usually causes no problems, but
occasionally it does so you have to remove the old package first, hence
the block.

--
Neil Bothwick

Of all the people I've met you're certainly one of them

Old 04-02-2008, 11:02 AM
"Walter Dnes"

I had interpreted the error message to read that some other package
required <= openmotif-2.3.0

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 08:53:48PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote

> What's confusing about that? The reason is in the ebuild for
> x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0-r1 where it's configured to not co-exist with
> any earlier version. Look carefully at the "<=" and version numbers...
>
> To fix: unmerge the existing openmotif, merge the new one

But, but, but... isn't the whole point of "--update --world" to
*UPDATE* to the latest available version? Why is it that openmotif
requires *MANUALLY* deleting the old version, when 99% of non-slottable
apps and libs allow portage to delete the old version and replace it
with the new version? I'm obviously missing something here.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Walter Dnes wrote:
> > To fix: unmerge the existing openmotif, merge the new one
>
> * But, but, but... isn't the whole point of "--update --world" to
> *UPDATE* to the latest available version? *Why is it that openmotif
> requires *MANUALLY* deleting the old version, when 99% of
> non-slottable apps and libs allow portage to delete the old version
> and replace it with the new version? *I'm obviously missing something
> here.

In general that is the way it works. Neil posted to that effect a few
hours ago. However, just because it usually works that way doesn't mean
it always should or will work that way. There's this pesky thing
called "real life" and the pesky "corner cases" that come with it.

Sometimes a new version of a package simply cannot co-exist with an
older version because of the way it's coded. Portage first builds a
package and installs it to a sandbox environment to ensure that the
package is buildable. Only when tis is established and proven, will it
delete the old version and move the new one onto the live filesystem.
If you have this co-exist problem with that package, you have to
manually unmerge the older one, as portage will not take the risk of
leaving you with an unusable package (that correctly is a decision that
a human must take, it is TheUnixWay(tm) and
TheOneTrueWayOfComputing(tm).

The lesstif/openmotif mess is slightly different. Openmotif has an odd
licensing scheme, so odd the Fedora (I think) has decided to not
support it at all. The relevant Gentoo dev wants to set things up so
that you have to have one or the other but not both. The sanest way to
deal with this is to force the user to make a decision and implement
it, and to not have to put up with whatever choice the dev happens to
think is ideal. This could have been better documented. In fact, there
should have been some documentation about it at all, but there isn't -
just a mysterious blocker. I only know it because I read the new
comments in $PORTDIR/profiles/packages.mask after every sync :-) And I
see those comments are no longer there :-(

It's just one of those things that we have to put up with occasionally
in real life