Old 03-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Grant

Default Laptop keeps freezing

My Gentoo laptop keeps freezing. It will stay up for about 30 minutes
and then stop responding altogether. I've checked the logs but there
is nothing informative there. I'm all up to date with packages. How
do you troubleshoot something like this?

- Grant

Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> My Gentoo laptop keeps freezing. It will stay up for about 30 minutes
> and then stop responding altogether. I've checked the logs but there
> is nothing informative there. I'm all up to date with packages. How
> do you troubleshoot something like this?
>
> - Grant

It's a bit hard with a laptop but there are some things you can do.

1) Does it freeze under no load? Just boot it and wait. don't log in, etc.

2) Does it only boot once logged in? What's running?

3) From another machine can you ssh in and then watch from there? Is
the laptop dead or is it just not responding to its own keyboard? If
it's still alive what's in the log files?

Probably there are lots more things to do but these are the sort of
things I'd try first.

Good luck,
Mark

Old 03-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Ale

My Gentoo laptop keeps freezing.**It will stay up for about 30 minutes
and then stop responding altogether.**I've checked the logs but there
is nothing informative there.**I'm all up to date with packages.**How

do you troubleshoot something like this?

- Grant

Which logs didi you check? For sure you will get something there. Do you have syslog-ng running or something similar?

laptop? arch?
Di you tried to run a live cd, for example?

Old 03-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Willie Wong

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 09:26:34AM -0700, Grant wrote:
> My Gentoo laptop keeps freezing. It will stay up for about 30 minutes
> and then stop responding altogether. I've checked the logs but there
> is nothing informative there. I'm all up to date with packages. How
> do you troubleshoot something like this?

The first thing to determine is that whether it is freezing of the
user interface or the underlying kernel. For desktops I often compile
the kernel with the option that it flashes the keyboard LEDs when it
is panicking, so I can see at a glance that the omelette has hit the
fan.

So:
a) This freezing behaviour, does it manifest only in X, or does it
happen if you boot into a non-graphical environment?
b) If both, is it possible to have your laptop on a private network
with ssh/telnet listening? If so, please see if after the freezing
behaviour, you can still telnet/ssh into the laptop? If you can, can
you run top from the terminal and see if anything is just taking up
100% resource?

Other things to check:
c) could your laptop be overheating?
d) is this a new phenomenon or something that has happened
consistently since the dawn of time? i.e. did you update any software
recently or is this something that just happened right out of the box
with your spanking new hardware?
e) If this is a spanking new machine, and if it comes with one of
the bastard OSes pre-installed, does this also happen running that
operating system? (Maybe you are due a refund?)

HTH,

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.

Mon Mar 31 20:30:01 2008