Old 03-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Default Clone a running gentoo machine onto another machine

Hello

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 10:29:39PM +0300, Benyamin Dvoskin wrote:
> I've been wondering how one can clone an entire gentoo system and copy it to
> another physical machine , while the original system is still running (
> means , ghost , acronis and other tools that force me to shutdown the system
> are not acceptable )
>
> So , someone told me to try just "tar" the whole system to the other machine
> and "untar" it there.

rsync is usually faster, as it reads the first one and writes to the
second one at the same time. You should read its' man page, there are
nice things like '-x' flag (so it copies only one filesystem and does
not enter sub-filesystems, like dev and)

As it uses ssh by default, you need only sshd on the remote server and
you can tweak thinks like compression while transferring.

--
All flame and insults will go to /dev/null (if they fit)

Michal 'vorner' Vaner