Old 03-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Default uvesafb fails to work

Mick schrieb:

Hi All,

I've just compiled kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 which comes with uvesa and thought
of using it on a box of mine. However, amidst other weird and wonderful
errors that the new kernel gives me on this box, I have completely failed to
get uvesafb to work.

When it boots up it comes up with these errors:
* Setting framebuffer console images
Can't open cfg file //etc/splash/emergence/640x480.cfg
No 8bpp silent picture specified in the theme
No 8bpp verbose picture specified in the theme
* Failed to set background image on tty1

Meanwhile the penguins and fonts on the boot console are shown in some
impossibly large size. My kernel line is:

kernel /kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/sda3
video=uvesafb:1280x1024-32@60,ywrap,mtrr:4,
splash=silent,fadein,theme:emergence quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1

initrd /boot/fbsplash-emergence-1280x1024

Any ideas?

Just a shot in the dark are you using any kind of tv-out?

I had this problem with tv-out. I specified a resolution of 1280x1024.
When I connect my tv to my box the maximal resolution possible is
1024x768 because the tv-encoder does not offer higher resolutions. So
instead of switching to the next greatest resolution of 1024x768 the
uvesafb driver switches to smallest resolution of 640x480. This
resolution is not available in the emergence theme thus the splash fails!

If you have a problem like this there are existing patches whto the
kernel which are fixing this issue!

What does "cat /sys/devices/platform/uvesafb.0/vbe_modes" say?

Regards,

Daniel

Old 03-30-2008, 08:31 PM
"Matt Edens"

I have had problems getting this to work also, but was able to get it working finally
after being directed to the authors website and following his instructions.* What I
did was get a 2.6.24 kernel working for me fully with no errors then proceded to follow

spock's instructions to get uvesafb working properly on both my desktop and laptop.
Hope this gives you what you need to get it working.

Matt

Old 03-30-2008, 08:32 PM
"Matt Edens"

Oops forgot the link to the website. http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/

Old 03-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Mick

On Sunday 30 March 2008, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> Mick schrieb:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've just compiled kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 which comes with uvesa and
> > thought of using it on a box of mine. However, amidst other weird and
> > wonderful errors that the new kernel gives me on this box, I have
> > completely failed to get uvesafb to work.
> >
> > When it boots up it comes up with these errors:
> > ================================================== ===
> > * Setting framebuffer console images
> > Can't open cfg file //etc/splash/emergence/640x480.cfg
> > No 8bpp silent picture specified in the theme
> > No 8bpp verbose picture specified in the theme
> > * Failed to set background image on tty1
> > ================================================== ===
> >
> > Meanwhile the penguins and fonts on the boot console are shown in some
> > impossibly large size. My kernel line is:
> >
> > kernel /kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/sda3
> > video=uvesafb:1280x1024-32@60,ywrap,mtrr:4,
> > splash=silent,fadein,theme:emergence quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
> > initrd /boot/fbsplash-emergence-1280x1024
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Just a shot in the dark are you using any kind of tv-out?
>
> I had this problem with tv-out. I specified a resolution of 1280x1024.
> When I connect my tv to my box the maximal resolution possible is
> 1024x768 because the tv-encoder does not offer higher resolutions. So
> instead of switching to the next greatest resolution of 1024x768 the
> uvesafb driver switches to smallest resolution of 640x480. This
> resolution is not available in the emergence theme thus the splash fails!
>
> If you have a problem like this there are existing patches whto the
> kernel which are fixing this issue!
>
> What does "cat /sys/devices/platform/uvesafb.0/vbe_modes" say?

Thanks Daniel, I am not using tvout, just a LCD monitor. You're right,
there's no 1280x1024 in the above file! Changed it to 1024x768 and it works,
although the quality of the image is poor (it looks sort of pixelated).

What controls what resolutions exist in that file?
Mick

Old 03-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Mick

On Sunday 30 March 2008, Matt Edens wrote:
> Oops forgot the link to the website.
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/<http://dev.gentoo.org/%7Espo
>ck/projects/uvesafb/>

Thanks Matt, I have followed spock's instructions in the first place.
Mick

Old 03-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Mick schrieb:

[...]

Output of /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/uvesafb.txt

... snip ....

2. Caveats and limitations
--------------------------

uvesafb is a _generic_ driver which supports a wide variety of video
cards, but which is ultimately limited by the Video BIOS interface.
The most important limitations are:

- Lack of any type of acceleration.
- A strict and limited set of supported video modes. Often the native
or most optimal resolution/refresh rate for your setup will not work
with uvesafb, simply because the Video BIOS doesn't support the
video mode you want to use. This can be especially painful with
widescreen panels, where native video modes don't have the 4:3 aspect
ratio, which is what most BIOS-es are limited to.
- Adjusting the refresh rate is only possible with a VBE 3.0 compliant
Video BIOS. Note that many nVidia Video BIOS-es claim to be VBE 3.0
compliant, while they simply ignore any refresh rate settings.

..... snip .....

4. The sysfs interface
----------------------

uvesafb provides several sysfs nodes for configurable parameters and
additional information.

Driver attributes:

/sys/bus/platform/drivers/uvesafb
- v86d (default: /sbin/v86d)
Path to the v86d executable. v86d is started by uvesafb
if an instance of the daemon isn't already running.

Device attributes:

/sys/bus/platform/drivers/uvesafb/uvesafb.0
- nocrtc
Use the default refresh rate (60 Hz) if set to 1.

- oem_product_name
- oem_product_rev
- oem_string
- oem_vendor
Information about the card and its maker.

- vbe_modes
A list of video modes supported by the Video BIOS along with their
VBE mode numbers in hex.

- vbe_version
A BCD value indicating the implemented VBE standard.

..... snip .....

So this depend on the Video Bios of your card and you maybe can't do
anything about it!

Although 1280x1024 should normally work and i guess you use this
resolution for your Desktop. How do you generate your initrd? Which card
do you have?

"dmesg | grep uvesafb" and "fbset --info -v"?

Regards,

Daniel

Old 03-31-2008, 11:19 AM
"Ricardo Saffi Marques"