Old 03-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Mick

Default uvesafb fails to work

Hi All,

I've just compiled kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 which comes with uvesa and thought
of using it on a box of mine. However, amidst other weird and wonderful
errors that the new kernel gives me on this box, I have completely failed to
get uvesafb to work.

When it boots up it comes up with these errors:
* Setting framebuffer console images
Can't open cfg file //etc/splash/emergence/640x480.cfg
No 8bpp silent picture specified in the theme
No 8bpp verbose picture specified in the theme
* Failed to set background image on tty1

Meanwhile the penguins and fonts on the boot console are shown in some
impossibly large size. My kernel line is:

kernel /kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/sda3
video=uvesafb:1280x1024-32@60,ywrap,mtrr:4,
splash=silent,fadein,theme:emergence quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
initrd /boot/fbsplash-emergence-1280x1024

Any ideas?
Mick