Old 03-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Rumen Yotov

Default Upgrade of dhcpcd

econti написа:
Hi all, yesterday I upgraded dhcpcd, now at boot time I receive this
message:

err, eth0: Failed to lookup hostname via DNS: Name or service not known

Even so, the IP is correctly assigned by the router.

Could anyone help me to understand? ;-)

Bye
emilio

Hi,

Look at the new USE-flags, there are two IIRC - zeroconf vram
Specially vram in this case.
HTH. Rumen

Old 03-31-2008, 09:14 AM
econti

Rumen Yotov ha scritto:

econti МапОÑ?а:
Hi all, yesterday I upgraded dhcpcd, now at boot time I receive this
message:

err, eth0: Failed to lookup hostname via DNS: Name or service not known

Even so, the IP is correctly assigned by the router.

Could anyone help me to understand? ;-)

Bye
emilio

Hi,

Look at the new USE-flags, there are two IIRC - zeroconf vram
Specially vram in this case.
HTH. Rumen

I tried USE="-zeroconf": no result
then USE="vram": no result
then USE="-zeroconf vram": no result

So I dowgraded dhcpcd to the previous version (2.0.5-r1): no more error
message. ;-(

I'd like to understand.

Bye
emilio

Old 03-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Rumen Yotov

On (31/03/08 11:14) econti wrote:
> Rumen Yotov ha scritto:
>> econti МапОÑ?а:
>>> Hi all, yesterday I upgraded dhcpcd, now at boot time I receive this
>>> message:
>>>
>>> err, eth0: Failed to lookup hostname via DNS: Name or service not known
>>>
>>> Even so, the IP is correctly assigned by the router.
>>>
>>> Could anyone help me to understand? ;-)
>>>
>>> Bye
>>> emilio
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Look at the new USE-flags, there are two IIRC - zeroconf vram
>> Specially vram in this case.
>> HTH. Rumen
>>
> I tried USE="-zeroconf": no result
> then USE="vram": no result
> then USE="-zeroconf vram": no result
>
> So I dowgraded dhcpcd to the previous version (2.0.5-r1): no more error
> message. ;-(
>
> I'd like to understand.
>
> Bye
> emilio

Try switching Off both '-zeroconf -vram'.
From the dhcpcd-3.2.3 elog:
elog> * ZeroConf support enabled
elog> * DUID support enabled
elog> * You have installed dhcpcd with zeroconf support.
elog> * This means that it will always obtain an IP address even if no
elog> * DHCP server can be contacted, which will break any existing
elog> * failover support you may have configured in your net
configuration.
elog> * This behaviour can be controlled with the -L flag.
elog> * See the dhcpcd man page for more details.
elog> * You have installed dhcpcd with DUID support.
elog> * This means that we will generate a DUID in
/var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd.duid
elog> * This is generated from a MAC address of the card and a
timestamp.
elog> * It will be used in every subsequent DHCP transaction, along
with a IAID
elog> * in the ClientID option. This is required by RFC 4361.
elog> * Some DHCP server implementations require a MAC address only in
the
elog> * ClientID field. These DHCP servers should be updated to be RFC
elog> * conformant. If you cannot do this, you can revert to the old
elog> * behaviour by using the -I ' option OR building dhcpcd with the
elog> * vram USE flag enabled.
...end...
HTH. Rumen

Old 04-05-2008, 01:28 PM
econti

cut

Hi,

Try switching Off both '-zeroconf -vram'.
From the dhcpcd-3.2.3 elog:
[...]

It does not work. :-(

Bye
emilio