Old 03-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Andrew Lowe

Default MythTV ebuild reports the wrong video cards - I think

Hi all,
I'm in the process of installing MythTV on a VIA Epia motherboard I
have and have come across something that's causing me a bit of concern.

I do an:

emerge --pretend mythtv

and have a look at the output. Amongst all of the new/updated packages
there is the line for the MythTV build:

[ebuild N ] media-tv/mythtv-0.21_p16658 USE="aac alsa dvb dvd mmx
opengl perl python vorbis xvmc (-altivec) -autostart -dbox2 -debug
-directv -hdhomerun -ieee1394 -iptv -ivtv -jack -joystick -lcd -lirc
-opengl-video -opengl-xvmc" VIDEO_CARDS="via -nvidia"

The problem/concern revolves around the VIDEO_CARDS variable. In my
make.conf I have this set to:

VIDEO_CARDS="openchrome fbdev via"

Now my concern is if the make.conf values for VIDEO_CARD are going to
supercede the values from the ebuild - I had a look in the ebuild and
that's where the "via -nvidia" come from. I'm concerned that my use of
OpenChrome won't be used. Do I have cause for concern or will it all
sort itself out in the wash and eventually I'll end up with a MythTV
that will use OpenChrome as the driver?

Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,

Andrew

Old 03-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:09:53 +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote:

> I'm in the process of installing MythTV on a VIA Epia
> motherboard I have and have come across something that's causing me a
> bit of concern.

> [ebuild N ] media-tv/mythtv-0.21_p16658 USE="aac alsa dvb dvd mmx
> opengl perl python vorbis xvmc (-altivec) -autostart -dbox2 -debug
> -directv -hdhomerun -ieee1394 -iptv -ivtv -jack -joystick -lcd -lirc
> -opengl-video -opengl-xvmc" VIDEO_CARDS="via -nvidia"
>
> The problem/concern revolves around the VIDEO_CARDS variable. In my
> make.conf I have this set to:
>
> VIDEO_CARDS="openchrome fbdev via"

openchrome is not a recognised value for VIDEO_CARDS, use via but install
the openchrome drivers and all will be well. There were some problems
with the mythtv build process and openchrome but these have been resolved
now. Make sure you install the openchrome drivers before mythtv.

--
Neil Bothwick

If I want your opinion, I'll ask you to fill out the necessary form.