Old 03-29-2008, 03:30 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Konsole, Gentoo and colors

I've got a problem with the colors that are used in Gentoo stuff.
I run KDE, and my terminals are generally konsoles.
The colors used by portage, ls and vim always seem to have
portions that are unreadable because of low contrast -- the

text blends into the background.
I've tried different konsole schemata, and find that different things
work for different purposes, but there's no one schema* that I
can just leave in place and forget.

I use 'light paper' for starters.* The 'linux colors' scheme is good
for some things, but I the darker colors don't show up well on it
(blue in particular), and I pretty much avoid dark backgrounds

when I can because I think they're depressing and they give
me eyestrain.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 03-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Neil Bothwick

http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Remap_Portage_Colors

--
Neil Bothwick

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Saturday 29 March 2008, 17:30, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> Does anyone have a suggestion?

You can remap the colors used by portage.
man color.map

Old 03-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 29 March 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I've got a problem with the colors that are used in Gentoo stuff.
> I run KDE, and my terminals are generally konsoles.
> The colors used by portage, ls and vim always seem to have
> portions that are unreadable because of low contrast -- the
> text blends into the background.
>
> I've tried different konsole schemata, and find that different things
> work for different purposes, but there's no one schema that I
> can just leave in place and forget.
>
> I use 'light paper' for starters. The 'linux colors' scheme is good
> for some things, but I the darker colors don't show up well on it
> (blue in particular), and I pretty much avoid dark backgrounds
> when I can because I think they're depressing and they give
> me eyestrain.

I've always used Linux Colours, on crt and on lcd displays. Contrast
works fine for me. What display device do you use?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-31-2008, 05:25 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday 29 March 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> I've got a problem with the colors that are used in Gentoo stuff.

> I run KDE, and my terminals are generally konsoles.

> The colors used by portage, ls and vim always seem to have

> portions that are unreadable because of low contrast -- the

> text blends into the background.

> I've tried different konsole schemata, and find that different things

> work for different purposes, but there's no one schema *that I

> can just leave in place and forget.

> I use 'light paper' for starters. *The 'linux colors' scheme is good

> for some things, but I the darker colors don't show up well on it

> (blue in particular), and I pretty much avoid dark backgrounds

> when I can because I think they're depressing and they give

> me eyestrain.

I've always used Linux Colours, on crt and on lcd displays. Contrast

works fine for me. What display device do you use?

What do you mean about contrast?

My gentoo is using a Westinghouse flat screen with mid-range
brightness and contrast.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 03-31-2008, 05:55 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@unlimitedmail.org> wrote:

On Saturday 29 March 2008, 17:30, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> Does anyone have a suggestion?

You can remap the colors used by portage.

man color.map

I found that man page singularly unhelpful.* It lists colors and defaults, but not a word about
syntax, and no mention of other ways of specifying colors (the gentoo tips page suggests that

ASCII sequences can be used there, but gives only cryptic information about how that might
be done.

++ kevin
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 03-31-2008, 06:45 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 31 March 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I've always used Linux Colours, on crt and on lcd displays. Contrast
> works fine for me. What display device do you use?
>

> What do you mean about contrast?
>
> My gentoo is using a Westinghouse flat screen with mid-range
> brightness and contrast.

My question could have been clearer, I meant that the relative contrast
between fore and background colours using Linux Colours is OK so I can
see grey on black fine, and the difference between a colour and the
same one bold is also obvious.

I've used some cheaper crts that were just gross, and in the past found
that the quality of LCDs were highly variable and mostly unrelated to
price (this seems to have settled now though).

You seem to know what to do in most cases and how to achieve it, so I
don't know if my favourite colour schemes will help you much. However,
have you considered an eye test for colour sensitivity? A large number
of males are under-sensitive to certain colours and it's apparently
hard for the person to detect it in themselves.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Kevin O'Gorman schrieb:

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@unlimitedmail.org>
You can remap the colors used by portage.
man color.map

I found that man page singularly unhelpful. It lists colors and defaults,
but not a word about
syntax, and no mention of other ways of specifying colors (the gentoo tips
page suggests that
ASCII sequences can be used there, but gives only cryptic information about
how that might
be done.

++ kevin

I have something like this in my color.map:

yellow=fuchsia #This maps yellow to fuchsia
WARN=fuchsia #Warnings are now in fuchsia instead of yellow
MERGE_LIST_PROGRESS=fuchsia #Dito

Instead of fuchsia you can use it's hex-value 0xFF55FF.
The colors and the hex equivalents are all defined in
/usr/lib/portage/pym/output.py where you can look them up!

For a good explaination of ANSI color codes and escape sequences you may
look here [1]!

[1] http://linuxfocus.org/English/May2004/article335.shtml

Regards,

Daniel

Old 04-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Monday 31 March 2008, 19:55, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> I found that man page singularly unhelpful. It lists colors and
> defaults, but not a word about syntax,

(from that man page)

SYNTAX
VARIABLE = [space delimited list of attributes]

> and no mention of other ways of specifying colors (the gentoo
> tips page suggests that ASCII sequences can be used there, but gives
> only cryptic information about how that might
> be done.

The man page provides the list of variables and attributes that can be
used. Basically, the variable defines the message type (BAD, INFORM,
GOOD, etc) and the attributes define how to display the text for that
variable (basically, fg and bg color, and other attributes like
underlined, blinking, bold, etc.).

Old 04-01-2008, 01:25 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

On Monday 31 March 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> I've always used Linux Colours, on crt and on lcd displays. Contrast

> *works fine for me. What display device do you use?

> What do you mean about contrast?

> My gentoo is using a Westinghouse flat screen with mid-range

> brightness and contrast.

My question could have been clearer, I meant that the relative contrast

between fore and background colours using Linux Colours is OK so I can

see grey on black fine, and the difference between a colour and the

same one bold is also obvious.

I've used some cheaper crts that were just gross, and in the past found

that the quality of LCDs were highly variable and mostly unrelated to

price (this seems to have settled now though).

One of the things I don't like about black background is that on all monitors
the background seems to "crowd" the glyphs -- the markings seems more
slender than when the colors are reversed.* With small fonts (I like high

resolution settings for other reasons), this makes the lettering hard to read.

You seem to know what to do in most cases and how to achieve it, so I

don't know if my favourite colour schemes will help you much. However,

have you considered an eye test for colour sensitivity? A large number

of males are under-sensitive to certain colours and it's apparently

hard for the person to detect it in themselves.

I'm glad it seems so, since I teach computer science at the university level.* )
But I was hoping to get samples and suggestions of how others have dealt

with this.* I've been muttering under my breath about this for a few years
now and I thought it likely that others may have taken action.

As for vision: I have such an exam yearly.* I always see the numerals in their

samples, and nobody's ever mentioned color insensitivity. Nevertheless, it's
possible it's vision-related since it works this way for me on all monitors, and
in my work I see a lot of monitors.

++ kevin