Old 01-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Andrew Lowe

Default Where's the examples?????

Hi all,
I'm playing around with the Boost library, www.boost.org, at the moment
and the question is in relation to it but the question also applies to
other libraries I've played around with, where are the examples and doco
kept?

I can't seem to find the Boost example source code anywhere. I also
can't find the doco that comes with Boost. Is there a default location
that ebuilds should drop examples and doco when dealing with libraries
such as Boost? Boost does not seem to have a USE flag that says "Install
examples somewhere" so I'm at a bit of a loss as to where this stuff is?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

Andrew

Old 01-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan

On Sun 01 Jan 2012 08:12:30 PM IST, Andrew Lowe wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm playing around with the Boost library, www.boost.org, at the
> moment and the question is in relation to it but the question also
> applies to other libraries I've played around with, where are the
> examples and doco kept?
>
> I can't seem to find the Boost example source code anywhere. I
> also can't find the doco that comes with Boost. Is there a default
> location that ebuilds should drop examples and doco when dealing with
> libraries such as Boost? Boost does not seem to have a USE flag that
> says "Install examples somewhere" so I'm at a bit of a loss as to
> where this stuff is?
>
> Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
>
> Andrew

I don't know about the examples, but the doc useflag installs
documentation in /usr/share/doc/boost-<ver>

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
http://nileshgr.com

Old 01-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Jan 1, 2012 9:45 PM, "Andrew Lowe" <agl@wht.com.au> wrote:

> Hi all,

> * * * *I'm playing around with the Boost library, www.boost.org, at the moment and the question is in relation to it but the question also applies to other libraries I've played around with, where are the examples and doco kept?

> * * * *I can't seem to find the Boost example source code anywhere. I also can't find the doco that comes with Boost. Is there a default location that ebuilds should drop examples and doco when dealing with libraries such as Boost? Boost does not seem to have a USE flag that says "Install examples somewhere" so I'm at a bit of a loss as to where this stuff is?

> * * * *Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

> * * * * * * * *Andrew

Usually USE=docs install the docs. Also, some packages have USE=examples.

The customary location is /usr/share/docs/$PACKAGE-$VERSION

Rgds,

Old 01-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Jan 1, 2012 9:49 PM, "Nilesh Govindarajan" <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:

> On Sun 01 Jan 2012 08:12:30 PM IST, Andrew Lowe wrote:

> > Hi all,

> > * * I'm playing around with the Boost library, www.boost.org, at the

> > moment and the question is in relation to it but the question also

> > applies to other libraries I've played around with, where are the

> > examples and doco kept?

> > * * I can't seem to find the Boost example source code anywhere. I

> > also can't find the doco that comes with Boost. Is there a default

> > location that ebuilds should drop examples and doco when dealing with

> > libraries such as Boost? Boost does not seem to have a USE flag that

> > says "Install examples somewhere" so I'm at a bit of a loss as to

> > where this stuff is?

> > * * Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

> > * * * * Andrew

> I don't know about the examples, but the doc useflag installs

> documentation in /usr/share/doc/boost-<ver>

The examples are also placed there, usually in compressed form.

Rgds,