Old 12-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Jeff Cranmer

Default Problems starting KDE

I'm attempting to bring up a new system. Processor is AMD Phenom 1055,
running on a Sabertooth 990FX motherboard. Graphics card is an NVIDIA
GEForce GTX550Ti.

If I start X with twm, the xserver connection is made, and TWM comes up
correctly with three Xterm windows.

I note that I get two errors reported,
(EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load module "dri2" (Module does not exist, 0)
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 62: xclock: command not found

The first error is definitely on startup, but the latter could have
appeared on exit.

I have a file 20-nvidia.conf in the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d directory
with the following information

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce GTX550 Ti"
BusID "PCI:5:0:0"
Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
Disable "dri"
Disable "dri2"
Load "glx"
EndSection

If I add exec startkde to the top of the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file,
then startx fails to start. I get the same dri2 error as above, but
also get

startkde: Starting up...
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
kded(13865): Communication Problem with "kded", it probably crashed.
Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did
not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "

I verified using /etc/init.d/dbus status that the dbus service is
running. Same for consolekit.

/var/log/kdm.log shows one error, repeated for each startup attempt.
KCrash: Appication 'kdmgreet' crashing....
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/drkonqi directly
Server Terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Thanks

Jeff

Old 12-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Claudio Roberto França Pereira

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 13:53, Jeff Cranmer <jeff@lotussevencars.com> wrote:
> I'm attempting to bring up a new system. *Processor is AMD Phenom 1055,
> running on a Sabertooth 990FX motherboard. *Graphics card is an NVIDIA
> GEForce GTX550Ti.
>
> If I start X with twm, the xserver connection is made, and TWM comes up
> correctly with three Xterm windows.
>
> I note that I get two errors reported,
> (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load module "dri2" (Module does not exist, 0)
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 62: xclock: command not found

This is normal behavior. Don't know why, but nVidia drivers doesn't
use the dri2 module, I think it has it's own implementation or
something, you can safely ignore that, even if your 20-nvidia.conf
disables (or tries to) dri2.
The xclock error is also ok, you probably have twm emerged, but not
xclock. The default xinitrc (in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc) tries to run
twm, 3 xterms and xclock.

> The first error is definitely on startup, but the latter could have
> appeared on exit.
>
> I have a file 20-nvidia.conf in the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d directory
> with the following information
>
> Section "Device"
> *Identifier "Device0"
> *Driver "nvidia"
> *VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
> *BoardName "GeForce GTX550 Ti"
> *BusID "PCI:5:0:0"
> *Screen 0
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
> *Disable "dri"
> *Disable "dri2"
> *Load "glx"
> EndSection
>
> If I add exec startkde to the top of the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file,
> then startx fails to start. *I get the same dri2 error as above, but
> also get
>
> startkde: Starting up...
> Connecting to deprecated signal
> QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
> kded(13865): Communication Problem with "kded", it probably crashed.
> Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did
> not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "

You should not edit this file, you should create a ~/.xinitrc and add
startkde to that. Try again without messing with the default system
xinitrc and using your own. You need to let the system xinitrc run, it
will call yours afterwards.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:37 PM
Jeff Cranmer

On Sat, 2011-12-31 at 14:59 -0200, Claudio Roberto França Pereira wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 13:53, Jeff Cranmer <jeff@lotussevencars.com> wrote:
> > I'm attempting to bring up a new system. Processor is AMD Phenom 1055,
> > running on a Sabertooth 990FX motherboard. Graphics card is an NVIDIA
> > GEForce GTX550Ti.
> >
> > If I start X with twm, the xserver connection is made, and TWM comes up
> > correctly with three Xterm windows.
> >
> > I note that I get two errors reported,
> > (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load module "dri2" (Module does not exist, 0)
> > /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 62: xclock: command not found
>
> This is normal behavior. Don't know why, but nVidia drivers doesn't
> use the dri2 module, I think it has it's own implementation or
> something, you can safely ignore that, even if your 20-nvidia.conf
> disables (or tries to) dri2.
> The xclock error is also ok, you probably have twm emerged, but not
> xclock. The default xinitrc (in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc) tries to run
> twm, 3 xterms and xclock.

OK, thanks - that explains that problem.

> > The first error is definitely on startup, but the latter could have
> > appeared on exit.
> >
> > I have a file 20-nvidia.conf in the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d directory
> > with the following information
> >
> > Section "Device"
> > Identifier "Device0"
> > Driver "nvidia"
> > VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
> > BoardName "GeForce GTX550 Ti"
> > BusID "PCI:5:0:0"
> > Screen 0
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Module"
> > Disable "dri"
> > Disable "dri2"
> > Load "glx"
> > EndSection
> >
> > If I add exec startkde to the top of the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file,
> > then startx fails to start. I get the same dri2 error as above, but
> > also get
> >
> > startkde: Starting up...
> > Connecting to deprecated signal
> > QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
> > kded(13865): Communication Problem with "kded", it probably crashed.
> > Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did
> > not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "
>
> You should not edit this file, you should create a ~/.xinitrc and add
> startkde to that. Try again without messing with the default system
> xinitrc and using your own. You need to let the system xinitrc run, it
> will call yours afterwards.

Thanks - I made this change, but it didn't fix the problem.

> > I verified using /etc/init.d/dbus status that the dbus service is
> > running. Same for consolekit.
> >
> > /var/log/kdm.log shows one error, repeated for each startup attempt.
> > KCrash: Appication 'kdmgreet' crashing....
> > KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/drkonqi directly
> > Server Terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

After a little bit of further investigation, I discovered that the
kdm.log file was full of old error messages. Deleting this log file did
not result in a replacement file when I retried startx

dmesg, however, was reporting some 'invalid opcode' errors. After
finding a 2-page pdf on the correct compile flags to use with and
amdfam10 processors (attached), I had enabled a couple of extra compile
flags, -mabm and -msse4a, as well as setting -march=amdfam10.

I've deleted the -mabm and -msse4a compile flag options from make.conf
and I'm now running a full recompile (emerge -Dav system, emerge -Dav
world). If that doesn't work, I'll try changing the architecture flag
to -march=amd64 and recompile once more.

Thanks

Jeff

Old 01-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Jeff Cranmer

On Sat, 2011-12-31 at 13:37 -0500, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-12-31 at 14:59 -0200, Claudio Roberto França Pereira wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 13:53, Jeff Cranmer <jeff@lotussevencars.com> wrote:
> > > I'm attempting to bring up a new system. Processor is AMD Phenom 1055,
> > > running on a Sabertooth 990FX motherboard. Graphics card is an NVIDIA
> > > GEForce GTX550Ti.

After a little bit of further investigation, I discovered that the
> kdm.log file was full of old error messages. Deleting this log file did
> not result in a replacement file when I retried startx
>
> dmesg, however, was reporting some 'invalid opcode' errors. After
> finding a 2-page pdf on the correct compile flags to use with and
> amdfam10 processors (attached), I had enabled a couple of extra compile
> flags, -mabm and -msse4a, as well as setting -march=amdfam10.
>
> I've deleted the -mabm and -msse4a compile flag options from make.conf
> and I'm now running a full recompile (emerge -Dav system, emerge -Dav
> world). If that doesn't work, I'll try changing the architecture flag
> to -march=amd64 and recompile once more.

I changed to -march=k8 in the make.conf file, removed all packages from
kde-base to trigger a meta recompile, then re-installed kde-meta and
compiled everything else using emerge -Dav system and emerge -Dav world.
I still get the same error.

from dmesg
kded4[16907] trap invalid opcode ip:7fde193e74d7 sp:7fffa5120510 error:0
in libqtGui.so.4.7.4[7fde19226000+a74000]
kcminit_startup[16909] trap invalid opcode ip:7fde193e74d7
sp:7fffa5120610 error:0 in libqtGui.so.4.7.4[7fde19226000+a74000]
kcmserver[16911] trap invalid opcode ip:7fde193e74d7 sp:7fffa511ff70
error:0 in libqtGui.so.4.7.4[7fde19226000+a74000]

So it appears that the problem is in libQtGui.so.4.7.4
How do I know that I've recompiled this? I suspect this is still a
hangover from the original compile settings.

Jeff

Old 01-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Mick

On Sunday 01 Jan 2012 14:54:06 Jeff Cranmer wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-12-31 at 13:37 -0500, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-12-31 at 14:59 -0200, Claudio Roberto França Pereira wrote:
>
> After a little bit of further investigation, I discovered that the
>
> > kdm.log file was full of old error messages. Deleting this log file did
> > not result in a replacement file when I retried startx
> >
> > dmesg, however, was reporting some 'invalid opcode' errors. After
> > finding a 2-page pdf on the correct compile flags to use with and
> > amdfam10 processors (attached), I had enabled a couple of extra compile
> > flags, -mabm and -msse4a, as well as setting -march=amdfam10.
> >
> > I've deleted the -mabm and -msse4a compile flag options from make.conf
> > and I'm now running a full recompile (emerge -Dav system, emerge -Dav
> > world). If that doesn't work, I'll try changing the architecture flag
> > to -march=amd64 and recompile once more.
>
> I changed to -march=k8 in the make.conf file, removed all packages from
> kde-base to trigger a meta recompile, then re-installed kde-meta and
> compiled everything else using emerge -Dav system and emerge -Dav world.
> I still get the same error.
>
> from dmesg
> kded4[16907] trap invalid opcode ip:7fde193e74d7 sp:7fffa5120510 error:0
> in libqtGui.so.4.7.4[7fde19226000+a74000]
> kcminit_startup[16909] trap invalid opcode ip:7fde193e74d7
> sp:7fffa5120610 error:0 in libqtGui.so.4.7.4[7fde19226000+a74000]
> kcmserver[16911] trap invalid opcode ip:7fde193e74d7 sp:7fffa511ff70
> error:0 in libqtGui.so.4.7.4[7fde19226000+a74000]
>
> So it appears that the problem is in libQtGui.so.4.7.4
> How do I know that I've recompiled this? I suspect this is still a
> hangover from the original compile settings.
>
> Jeff

$ qfile libQtGui.so.4.7.4
x11-libs/qt-gui (/usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4.7.4)

Look at the date time that you built x11-libs/qt-gui (in your emerge.log, or
use genlop) and compare with said file.
Mick

Old 01-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Jeff Cranmer

> > Jeff
>
> $ qfile libQtGui.so.4.7.4
> x11-libs/qt-gui (/usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4.7.4)
>
> Look at the date time that you built x11-libs/qt-gui (in your emerge.log, or
> use genlop) and compare with said file.

The files match, last compiled in the morning, two days ago, which is
before I tried my most recent changes.

Success - Recompilation of this file gets me a k desktop.

Is there a good way to force-recompile an entire system's code? emerge
-Dav system and emerge -Dav world don't seem to go down far enough in
the hierarchy to recompile all dependencies.

Many thanks.

Jeff

Old 01-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Sunday 01 January 2012 16:13:16 Jeff Cranmer wrote:

*

> Is there a good way to force-recompile an entire system's code? emerge

> -Dav system and emerge -Dav world don't seem to go down far enough in

> the hierarchy to recompile all dependencies.

*

Emerge -e system && emerge -e world.

*

--

Rgds

Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23

*

Old 01-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 11:13:16 -0500
Jeff Cranmer <jeff@lotussevencars.com> wrote:

> > > Jeff
> >
> > $ qfile libQtGui.so.4.7.4
> > x11-libs/qt-gui (/usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.4.7.4)
> >
> > Look at the date time that you built x11-libs/qt-gui (in your
> > emerge.log, or use genlop) and compare with said file.
>
> The files match, last compiled in the morning, two days ago, which is
> before I tried my most recent changes.
>
> Success - Recompilation of this file gets me a k desktop.
>
> Is there a good way to force-recompile an entire system's code?
> emerge -Dav system and emerge -Dav world don't seem to go down far
> enough in the hierarchy to recompile all dependencies.

That's a common enough problem but there doesn't seem to be much
portage can do about it.

Lower-level libs can easily trigger a rebuild for ebuilds that depend
on them, but the reverse is not true. For example, if you have some KDE
app that requires a recent qt version (and your installed qt is some
earlier version), then portage can't figure out to tell you to upgrade
or rebuild qt because the dependencies are the wrong way round for that.

You have to remember yourself when a Qt rebuild might be needed. You
can use sets help to help ensure you do rebuild everything in Qt, but
you have to remember when to do it.

xorg-server has the same issue, and the solution there is also
"remember to rebuild the xorg-drivers when you upgrade the X server"

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com