Old 12-29-2011, 02:32 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Default black console w/ 3.2.0-rc7

Very likely a FAQ but I can't find it right now:

wanted to try linux 3.2.0-rc7 (by emerging git-sources) ... used my old
config and it built OK.

It also boots OK but very soon it gets simply black, no console, no xdm.

I am able to ssh into it, can't find anything obvious.
framebuffer stuff?

This is my thinkpad L520, with intel graphics.

Does someone has a pointer for me?

Thanks, Stefan

Old 12-29-2011, 02:48 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 29.12.2011 16:32, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> Very likely a FAQ but I can't find it right now:
>
> wanted to try linux 3.2.0-rc7 (by emerging git-sources) ... used my old
> config and it built OK.
>
> It also boots OK but very soon it gets simply black, no console, no xdm.
>
> I am able to ssh into it, can't find anything obvious.
> framebuffer stuff?

kernel-parameter "nomodeset" brought me a console ... no X yet.
Digging further ...

Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 29.12.2011 16:48, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> Digging further ...

same behavior with gentoo-sources-3.2.0

Will check now on desktop, nvidia there (and not intel graphics).

Old 01-05-2012, 09:28 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 05.01.2012 11:12, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
> Am 29.12.2011 16:48, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
>
>> Digging further ...
>
> same behavior with gentoo-sources-3.2.0
>
> Will check now on desktop, nvidia there (and not intel graphics).

works fine there, so it seems related to intel graphics .. ?
"noacpi" and disabling that RC6-powersaving-stuff didn't help so far.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Johannes Kimmel

Very likely a FAQ but I can't find it right now:

wanted to try linux 3.2.0-rc7 (by emerging git-sources) ... used my old
config and it built OK.

It also boots OK but very soon it gets simply black, no console, no xdm.

I am able to ssh into it, can't find anything obvious.
framebuffer stuff?

This is my thinkpad L520, with intel graphics.

Does someone has a pointer for me?

Thanks, Stefan

I had a similar problem. I had selected the intel hardware iommu as
default. This caused my X to completely stay black. Systemlog showed
something about dma and drna (if i remember correctly).

try to disable intel hardware iommu, if you have it selected.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:02 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 2012-01-06 20:53, schrieb Johannes Kimmel:

> try to disable intel hardware iommu, if you have it selected.

Unfortunately no:

# grep -i iomm .config
# CONFIG_CALGARY_IOMMU is not set
CONFIG_IOMMU_HELPER=y