Old 12-27-2011, 04:43 AM

Default Env-update missing

I just tried to reinstall Gentoo on my laptop(x86) and after chrooting
into my new install I tried to run env-update but got a command not found.
I looked in sbin and the command isn't there. I downloaded again the stage
3 tarball i686 20111213 from another mirror and I'm still not finding the
command. I feel like a goof for asking but has anyone else run into this
error?

roger

Old 12-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Michael Hampicke

> I just tried to reinstall Gentoo on my laptop(x86) and after chrooting
> into my new install I tried to run env-update but got a command not found.
> I looked in sbin and the command isn't there. I downloaded again the stage
> 3 tarball i686 20111213 from another mirror and I'm still not finding the
> command. I feel like a goof for asking but has anyone else run into this
> error?

I just downloaded stage3-i686-20111213.tar.bz2
env-update is in '/usr/sbin/env-update'

Did you 'source /etc/profile' first. This normally solves problems like
this.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Mick

On Tuesday 27 Dec 2011 08:42:29 Michael Hampicke wrote:
> > I just tried to reinstall Gentoo on my laptop(x86) and after chrooting
> > into my new install I tried to run env-update but got a command not
> > found. I looked in sbin and the command isn't there. I downloaded again
> > the stage 3 tarball i686 20111213 from another mirror and I'm still not
> > finding the command. I feel like a goof for asking but has anyone else
> > run into this error?
>
> I just downloaded stage3-i686-20111213.tar.bz2
> env-update is in '/usr/sbin/env-update'
>
> Did you 'source /etc/profile' first. This normally solves problems like
> this.

I thought the incantation is:

env-update && source /etc/profile

has this changed?
Mick

Old 12-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 Dec 2011 08:42:29 Michael Hampicke wrote:
>> > I just tried to reinstall Gentoo on my laptop(x86) and after chrooting
>> > into my new install I tried to run env-update but got a command not
>> > found. I looked in sbin and the command isn't there. I downloaded again
>> > the stage 3 tarball i686 20111213 from another mirror and I'm still not
>> > finding the command. I feel like a goof for asking but has anyone else
>> > run into this error?
>>
>> I just downloaded stage3-i686-20111213.tar.bz2
>> env-update is in '/usr/sbin/env-update'
>>
>> Did you 'source /etc/profile' first. This normally solves problems like
>> this.
>
> I thought the incantation is:
>
> *env-update && source /etc/profile
>
> has this changed?

NAFAIK.

What's in $PATH?

Try /usr/sbin/env-update && source /etc/profile ...

--
:wq

Old 12-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Dale

Michael Mol wrote:

I just tried to reinstall Gentoo on my laptop(x86) and after chrooting
into my new install I tried to run env-update but got a command not
found. I looked in sbin and the command isn't there. I downloaded again
the stage 3 tarball i686 20111213 from another mirror and I'm still not
finding the command. I feel like a goof for asking but has anyone else
run into this error?

I just downloaded stage3-i686-20111213.tar.bz2
env-update is in '/usr/sbin/env-update'

Did you 'source /etc/profile' first. This normally solves problems like
this.

I thought the incantation is:

env-update&& source /etc/profile

has this changed?

NAFAIK.

What's in $PATH?

Try /usr/sbin/env-update&& source /etc/profile ...

According to the docs, it is this:

livecd / #env-update&& source /etc/profile

So Mick is right. I think it is Mick that posted it correctly. Jeez, lots of Mick, Micheals and such on here. o_O

Dale

:-) :-)

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 12-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Michael Hampicke

> I thought the incantation is:
>
> env-update && source /etc/profile
>
> has this changed?

No it hasn't, just looked in the gentoo handbook.
I never can remember what command to run first, so I execute both of
them two times

Old 12-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@hadt.biz> wrote:
>> I thought the incantation is:
>>
>> * env-update && source /etc/profile
>>
>> has this changed?
>
> No it hasn't, just looked in the gentoo handbook.
> I never can remember what command to run first, so I execute both of
> them two times

Here's how I understand it:

1) env-update rebuilds /etc/environment from /etc/env.d/.
2) /etc/environment is sourced from /etc/profile, so
3) you get the updated /etc/environment when you source /etc/profile.

--
:wq

Old 12-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@hadt.biz> wrote:
>> I thought the incantation is:
>>
>> * env-update && source /etc/profile
>>
>> has this changed?
>
> No it hasn't, just looked in the gentoo handbook.
> I never can remember what command to run first, so I execute both of
> them two times

E before S (alphabetical) is the way I remember it.

- Mark

Old 12-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 11:57:18 -0500, Michael Mol wrote:

> Here's how I understand it:
>
> 1) env-update rebuilds /etc/environment from /etc/env.d/.
> 2) /etc/environment is sourced from /etc/profile, so
> 3) you get the updated /etc/environment when you source /etc/profile.

Almost, but it's /etc/profile.env that is created by env-update and
sourced by /etc/profile. /etc/environment contains variable settings for
pam.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Designing pages in HTML is like having sex in a bathtub. If you
don't know anything about sex, it won't help to know a lot about
bathtubs."