Old 12-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Mark Knecht

Default I'm in a Pickle

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM, CJoeB <colleen.beamer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Happy Holidays, Everyone,
>
> To lead into the problem I am experiencing, I will let you know about an
> issue I've been having with my desktop (writing this from my laptop).
> Every once in a while, when the screensaver kicks in and then, the
> monitor goes on power save mode (something inherent to the monitor), the
> screen locks (I have not set it to do this) and the only way, I can get
> the computer going again is to reboot it by holding down the power
> button. *This is annoying, but has not caused an issue until today.
>
> Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still had my
> KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
> anything. *So, I held the power button to cause a reboot. *The computer
> booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
> the mouse work.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> Colleen
>
> --
>
> Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

I got burned by this one also. re-emerge all the xf86 module stuff for
your keyboard, etc. I've got it all in my module-rebuild -C rebuild
list. Once you do that you'll likely be OK.

You'll either want to ssh in to do this or you might want to reboot,
modifying your boot kernel line adding gentoo=nox to not start X at
all, re-emerge and then start X to test.

Good luck,
Mark

Old 12-25-2011, 07:05 PM
pk

On 2011-12-25 20:08, CJoeB wrote:

> Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still had my
> KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
> anything. So, I held the power button to cause a reboot. The computer
> booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
> the mouse work.
>
> Any ideas?

Maybe this:
http://chithanh.blogspot.com/2011/12/xorg-server-111-going-stable.html

?

Best regards

Peter K

Old 12-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Mick

On Sunday 25 Dec 2011 19:20:56 Michael Hampicke wrote:
> > Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still had my
> > KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
> > anything. So, I held the power button to cause a reboot. The computer
> > booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
> > the mouse work.
>
> Wild guess: xorg-server was upgraded to a newer version with changed
> ABI, so you have to remerge everthing installed under x11-drivers
>
> # emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)

+1

This is most likely related to the recent xorg updates, which as Michael
suggests should be resolved by remerging all the xorg related drivers.

I'm not sure why your monitor will not wake up from sleep though. That's not
normal. Have you tried going through the power settings of KDE in case it has
been set up to sleep to RAM or hibernate and your set up has some acpi problem
that causes it to crash?
Mick

Old 12-25-2011, 07:51 PM
CJoeB

On 12/25/11 14:20, Michael Hampicke wrote:
>> Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still had my
>> KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
>> anything. So, I held the power button to cause a reboot. The computer
>> booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
>> the mouse work.
> Wild guess: xorg-server was upgraded to a newer version with changed
> ABI, so you have to remerge everthing installed under x11-drivers
>
> # emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)

It's a little hard to do that since, I boot to a login screen and
neither my keyboard nor mouse work - despite the fact that the cursor
places itself in the password field on the login screen, I can't enter
my password since the keyboard doesn't work. :-)

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Old 12-25-2011, 07:56 PM
CJoeB

On 12/25/11 14:27, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM, CJoeB <colleen.beamer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Happy Holidays, Everyone,
>>
>> To lead into the problem I am experiencing, I will let you know about an
>> issue I've been having with my desktop (writing this from my laptop).
>> Every once in a while, when the screensaver kicks in and then, the
>> monitor goes on power save mode (something inherent to the monitor), the
>> screen locks (I have not set it to do this) and the only way, I can get
>> the computer going again is to reboot it by holding down the power
>> button. This is annoying, but has not caused an issue until today.
>>
>> Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still had my
>> KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
>> anything. So, I held the power button to cause a reboot. The computer
>> booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
>> the mouse work.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Colleen
>>
>> --
>>
>> Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org
>>

> I got burned by this one also. re-emerge all the xf86 module stuff for
> your keyboard, etc. I've got it all in my module-rebuild -C rebuild
> list. Once you do that you'll likely be OK.
>
> You'll either want to ssh in to do this or you might want to reboot,
> modifying your boot kernel line adding gentoo=nox to not start X at
> all, re-emerge and then start X to test.

I haven't completely done this, but I did enter the 'gentoo=nox' to my
kernel line and I got the command prompt. Thank you SO much for this!
You may not know it, but Santa just gave me another present! :-)

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Old 12-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Frank Steinmetzger

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 03:51:02PM -0500, CJoeB wrote:

> > Wild guess: xorg-server was upgraded to a newer version with changed
> > ABI, so you have to remerge everthing installed under x11-drivers
> >
> > # emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)
>
> It's a little hard to do that since, I boot to a login screen and
> neither my keyboard nor mouse work - despite the fact that the cursor
> places itself in the password field on the login screen, I can't enter
> my password since the keyboard doesn't work. :-)

Well then leave the graphical login out. Either boot to single user mode
(kernel command line parameter "single", IIRC) or exclude xdm from starting
during boot by pressing I after the relevant message appeared, and then saying
"skip" for the xdm service.
--
Gru | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

Poverty is not a disgrace, but a bloody nuisance.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Frank Steinmetzger

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 10:13:22PM +0100, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

> > It's a little hard to do that since, I boot to a login screen and
> > neither my keyboard nor mouse work […]
>
> Well then leave the graphical login out. […]

Whoops, that’s what you get if you send answers without reading all new mails
first. -_-
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

“The Vatican is not a state.… a state must have people. There are no
Vaticanians.… No-one gets born in the Vatican except by an unfortunate
accident.” — Geoffrey Robertson

Old 12-25-2011, 08:36 PM
CJoeB

On 12/25/11 15:08, Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 25 Dec 2011 19:20:56 Michael Hampicke wrote:
>>> Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still had my
>>> KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
>>> anything. So, I held the power button to cause a reboot. The computer
>>> booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
>>> the mouse work.
>> Wild guess: xorg-server was upgraded to a newer version with changed
>> ABI, so you have to remerge everthing installed under x11-drivers
>>
>> # emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)
> +1
>
> This is most likely related to the recent xorg updates, which as Michael
> suggests should be resolved by remerging all the xorg related drivers.

Solved! Thank you all so much!! Re-emerging the x related drivers
solved the issue. Thanks for this tip and how to prevent x from loading
on boot! You guys are GREAT! Thanks for being there when I can't
figure out something on my own!
> I'm not sure why your monitor will not wake up from sleep though. That's not
> normal. Have you tried going through the power settings of KDE in case it has
> been set up to sleep to RAM or hibernate and your set up has some acpi problem
> that causes it to crash?

I'll look into this! Thanks!

Happy Holidays!

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Old 12-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

To lead into the problem I am experiencing, I will let you know about an
issue I've been having with my desktop (writing this from my laptop).
Every once in a while, when the screensaver kicks in and then, the
monitor goes on power save mode (something inherent to the monitor), the
screen locks (I have not set it to do this) and the only way, I can get
the computer going again is to reboot it by holding down the power
button. This is annoying, but has not caused an issue until today.

You shouldn't do that. There's the SysRq key combination to safely exit
all programs, umount the filesystem and reboot.

You can Google for it. Wikipedia also has an article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

(The "SysRq" key is usually the "PrintScrn" key.)

Old 12-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Colleen Beamer

wrote:

>> Happy Holidays, Everyone,

>> To lead into the problem I am experiencing, I will let
you know about an

>> issue I've been having with my desktop (writing this from
my laptop).

>> Every once in a while, when the screensaver kicks in and
then, the

>> monitor goes on power save mode (something inherent to
the monitor), the

>> screen locks (I have not set it to do this) and the only
way, I can get

>> the computer going again is to reboot it by holding down
the power

>> button. This is annoying, but has not caused an issue
until today.

> You shouldn't do that. There's the SysRq key combination to
safely exit all programs, umount the filesystem and reboot.

Yeah,* *know* I shouldn't do that!* :-)* However, you just "taught"
me something I didn't know.

> You can Google for it. Wikipedia also has an article:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

> (The "SysRq" key is usually the "PrintScrn" key.)

Thanks for this!

Regards,

Colleen