Old 12-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Dale

Default I'm in a Pickle

Colleen Beamer wrote:

Thanks for this!

Regards,

Colleen

This may help too.* This is from a post Neil made a long time ago:

[quote]

Hold down Atl, hold down SysRq, press each of the keys in turn. The usual
full sequence is R-E-I-S-U-B

Reboot
Even
If
System
Utterly
Broken

[END QUOTE]

Don't forget to build support in the kernel too. I think this is the only one needed:

root@fireball / # zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i sysrq
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
root@fireball / #

Usually I only get to about the E or I then I get a console. Getting the processes sorted out is the hard part tho. At least you can do a clean shutdown and reboot tho.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)* :-)

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 12-26-2011, 01:23 AM
Michael Mol

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Colleen Beamer wrote:
>

> Thanks for this!
>
> Regards,
>
> Colleen
>

> This may help too.* This is from a post Neil made a long time ago:
>
> [quote]
>
> Hold down Atl, hold down SysRq, press each of the keys in turn. The usual
> full sequence is R-E-I-S-U-B
>
> Reboot
> Even
> If
> System
> Utterly
> Broken
>
> [END QUOTE]
>
> Don't forget to build support in the kernel too. I think this is the only
> one needed:
>
> root@fireball / # zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i sysrq
> CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
> root@fireball / #
>
> Usually I only get to about the E or I then I get a console. Getting the
> processes sorted out is the hard part tho. At least you can do a clean
> shutdown and reboot tho.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)* :-)
>

> --
> I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
> you interpreted my words!
>
> Miss the compile output? Hint:
> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Being that this is the third time the xorg drivers issue has cropped
up in the last week, I put together another blog post for it.

http://funnybutnot.wordpress.com/2011/12/25/xorg-updating-from-1-10-to-1-11-and-fixing-your-system/

--
:wq

Old 12-26-2011, 01:37 AM
Dale

Michael Mol wrote:

[...]

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Being that this is the third time the xorg drivers issue has cropped
up in the last week, I put together another blog post for it.

http://funnybutnot.wordpress.com/2011/12/25/xorg-updating-from-1-10-to-1-11-and-fixing-your-system/

This happens every time another version of xorg goes stable. I have to
admit, I forgot to recompile mine too. I noticed the upgrade but forgot
to re-emerge the drivers. I doubt this will change anytime soon
either. We are human and emerge doesn't do it automagically, yet.

Maybe I need to add that to my sig. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 12-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Mick

On Sunday 25 Dec 2011 19:28:35 CJoeB wrote:
> On 12/25/11 14:08, Dan Cowsill wrote:

> I can do this, but the computer isn't that old and up until today when I
> rebooted the computer by holding the power button, on reboot, the mouse
> and the keyboard worked fine.
>
> And although the computer is new, I've screwed the warranty because I
> removed Windows and there is only Linux on my computer.

It is worth noting for future cases like this that the warranty may not be
screwed up at all - unless the small print explicitly says so and even then
you may be still able to claim that they fix any hardware fault under the
warranty.

There was a woman who had removed the MSWindows OS from her new laptop and
when the keyboard failed the company that sold it to her refused to deal with
it without the original OS installed.

Eventually the company reneged and replaced the broken component.

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/07/03/27/1753218/hp-dishonors-warranty-if-you-
load-linux

I believe that there's more than one cases that this has happened, so removing
MSWindows may not nullify your legal consumer rights.

I do however as a matter of course retain the original installation just-in-
case and install Gentoo as a dual boot, if only to save myself the argument
with some poor idiot reading from a script on some service department in the
future. These days with massive hard drives there's enough space to keep both
OS.
Mick

Old 12-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Paul Hartman

On 12/25/2011 01:08 PM, CJoeB wrote:
> Happy Holidays, Everyone,
>
> To lead into the problem I am experiencing, I will let you know about an
> issue I've been having with my desktop (writing this from my laptop).
> Every once in a while, when the screensaver kicks in and then, the
> monitor goes on power save mode (something inherent to the monitor), the
> screen locks (I have not set it to do this) and the only way, I can get
> the computer going again is to reboot it by holding down the power
> button. This is annoying, but has not caused an issue until today.

I had similar and similarly-weird problems caused by a faulty video
card. After removing it, I could see that the capacitors were
domed/cracked and the card obviously got fried somehow... it still
worked most of the time, but was unstable (especially coming out of
power-saving it would exhibit problems or freeze the system). I could
usually still SSH in from another machine and do a proper shutdown, but
not always.

> Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still had my
> KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
> anything. So, I held the power button to cause a reboot. The computer
> booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
> the mouse work.

Maybe part of the world update was x11 stuff and the @x11-module-rebuild
set didn't get emerged yet.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Paul Hartman

On 12/25/2011 02:51 PM, CJoeB wrote:
> On 12/25/11 14:20, Michael Hampicke wrote:
>>> Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still had my
>>> KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
>>> anything. So, I held the power button to cause a reboot. The computer
>>> booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
>>> the mouse work.
>> Wild guess: xorg-server was upgraded to a newer version with changed
>> ABI, so you have to remerge everthing installed under x11-drivers
>>
>> # emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)
>
> It's a little hard to do that since, I boot to a login screen and
> neither my keyboard nor mouse work - despite the fact that the cursor
> places itself in the password field on the login screen, I can't enter
> my password since the keyboard doesn't work. :-)

If it happens again, in GRUB edit the kernel commandline and append
"gentoo=nox" to it and that will prevent Gentoo from starting your
graphical login manager. Or, better yet, create a second menu entry in
grub for "no X" right now, so it'll be there if you need it in the future.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Colleen Beamer

On 12/26/11 14:54, Paul Hartman wrote:
>>> Wild guess: xorg-server was upgraded to a newer version with changed
>>> ABI, so you have to remerge everthing installed under x11-drivers
>>>
>>> # emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)
>> It's a little hard to do that since, I boot to a login screen and
>> neither my keyboard nor mouse work - despite the fact that the cursor
>> places itself in the password field on the login screen, I can't enter
>> my password since the keyboard doesn't work. :-)
> If it happens again, in GRUB edit the kernel commandline and append
> "gentoo=nox" to it and that will prevent Gentoo from starting your
> graphical login manager. Or, better yet, create a second menu entry in
> grub for "no X" right now, so it'll be there if you need it in the future.
Thanks. This info was already provided to me. I made a note of it in
the place where I keep my "Gentoo tips" so, I'll have this available to
me if I need it again! :-)

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Old 12-27-2011, 03:22 AM
Stroller

On 26 December 2011, at 09:44, Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 25 Dec 2011 19:28:35 CJoeB wrote:
>> …
>> And although the computer is new, I've screwed the warranty because I
>> removed Windows and there is only Linux on my computer.
>
> It is worth noting for future cases like this that the warranty may not be
> screwed up at all

In Europe the warranty is absolutely certainly definitely unaffected by the use of Linux.

I would very much doubt the situation is different in the USA.

An installation of Windows is necessary, however, in order to reasonably and amicably prove the fault to the supplier. It's quite fair for the supplier to limit support only to operating systems with which they have experience.

I know we're all very excited when we get our new toys, but this just underscores the need to make the very first boot of the new system one from a LiveCD, using it to make an image of the factory o/s installation. If you pipe dd through bzip2 (documented a million places on the net) then the size of the full disk image will reflect only (approximately) the amount of data on there - i.e. only a few gig, even for a huge modern hard-drive.

If this advice is too late for the OP then it may be possible to arrange an official Microsoft version of the OEM Windows installation DVD - it should be possible to activate this with the license sticker attached to the laptop's underside. The Microsoft OEM disks will generally produce a cleaner installation of Windows than the factory install, as the latter tends to include a bunch of extra crapware, but they're often lacking drivers that you'll need, and it can sometimes take a while to find and download the right ones (although my experience with Windows 7 is limited).

Stroller.