Old 12-25-2011, 06:08 PM
CJoeB

Default I'm in a Pickle

Happy Holidays, Everyone,

To lead into the problem I am experiencing, I will let you know about an
issue I've been having with my desktop (writing this from my laptop).
Every once in a while, when the screensaver kicks in and then, the
monitor goes on power save mode (something inherent to the monitor), the
screen locks (I have not set it to do this) and the only way, I can get
the computer going again is to reboot it by holding down the power
button. This is annoying, but has not caused an issue until today.

Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still had my
KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
anything. So, I held the power button to cause a reboot. The computer
booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
the mouse work.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Old 12-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Dan Cowsill

[...]

When the screen locks, is it the whole computer?* Can you do a CTRL+F7 and get to a console?

As to your current predicament, I would give a livecd a try and see if the keyboard and mouse work in that.

What I'm driving at here is that your problem may be hardware-related.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Michael Hampicke

> Today, I was doing a world update and the screen locked - I still had my
> KDE desktop up, but couldn't open a window to kill any processes or
> anything. So, I held the power button to cause a reboot. The computer
> booted okay and gave me my login screen, but neither the keyboard nor
> the mouse work.

Wild guess: xorg-server was upgraded to a newer version with changed
ABI, so you have to remerge everthing installed under x11-drivers

# emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)

Old 12-25-2011, 06:28 PM
CJoeB

[...]

When this happens, the screen is either black (cause the monitor has
gone to sleep), black, but I can see my mouse cursor and it will
move around if I move my mouse around, or I will have my KDE
desktop, but neither the mouse nor the keyboard will work.

As to your current predicament, I would give a livecd a try
and see if the keyboard and mouse work in that.

I can do this, but the computer isn't that old and up until today
when I rebooted the computer by holding the power button, on reboot,
the mouse and the keyboard worked fine.

And although the computer is new, I've screwed the warranty because
I removed Windows and there is only Linux on my computer.

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org