Old 12-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Mark Knecht

Default Modifying ebuilds, and dependency thoughts between hugin and luminance-hdr.

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, media-gfx/luminance-hdr uses hugin's align_image_stack by default.
> Except the ebuild doesn't list a dependency on hugin. I tried
> modifying its ebuild file to add the dependency, but Portage
> complained about a failed digest verification. So I don't know how to
> work around that.
>
> Then there are some additional realizations I had.
>
> 1) Pulling in hugin pulls in gtk and a bunch of additional
> dependencies. Luminance-hdr is a qt app; having a qt app trigger
> pulling in gtk seems silly.
> 2) The tool that luminance-hdr needs is a CLI tool. It doesn't need
> the GUI side of hugin. So it should be possible to build that hugin
> tool without the rest of its GUI. Sounds like another USE flag, or
> perhaps splitting align_image_stack into a separate ebuild and having
> both luminance-hdr and hugin pull that in.
> 3) Luminance-hdr doesn't *need* hugin; it has a builtin tool that
> fills the same role, but behaves a bit differently. It should be
> perfectly possible to remove hugin's tool from the list of options,
> based on a USE flag.
>
> Now, both hugin and luminance-hdr are both tools I've messed with a
> great deal...enough to be frustrated with aspects which lead me to
> dive into their source code to try to fix things. I'm pretty confident
> I could do just about all of it, code-wise and logic-wise. What I
> don't know is anything about ebuild and app development on Gentoo.*
>
> So...where do I go from here?
>
> * This also comes in on my desire to play The Old Republic, but WINE
> 1.3.x has trouble with it. Day job as a Win32 coder comes in handy
> here...
>
> --
> :wq

I haven't tried this in years but from this link:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2004.2/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=6

there is this text:

[quote]
If you are certain that the sources you've fetched and the ebuild
itself are valid, you can regenerate the Manifest and digest-<package>
file using ebuild's digest functionality:

Code Listing 2.3: Regenerate Manifest and digest

# ebuild path/to/ebuild digest
[quote]

HTH,
Mark

Old 12-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Dale

Mark Knecht wrote:

[...]

And if I recall correctly, you have to do this again if you sync. You
may want to put that in a local overlay or something so that syncs don't
change what you are fixing. This is nothing I have done before but have
read where others do it this way or at least the way I understood it
anyway.

Hope that points you in some good direction.

Dale

:-) :-)

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 12-25-2011, 02:26 AM
Stroller

On 24 December 2011, at 20:23, Michael Mol wrote:

> So, media-gfx/luminance-hdr uses hugin's align_image_stack by default.
> Except the ebuild doesn't list a dependency on hugin. I tried
> modifying its ebuild file to add the dependency, but Portage
> complained about a failed digest verification. So I don't know how to
> work around that.

# grep -i overlay /etc/make.conf
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
# mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/media-gfx/luminance-hdr/
# cp /usr/portage/media-gfx/luminance-hdr/luminance-hdr-2.1.0.ebuild /usr/local/portage/media-gfx/luminance-hdr/
# vi /usr/local/portage/media-gfx/luminance-hdr/luminance-hdr-2.1.0.ebuild
# ebuild /usr/local/portage/media-gfx/luminance-hdr/luminance-hdr-2.1.0.ebuild manifest

> 2) The tool that luminance-hdr needs is a CLI tool. It doesn't need
> the GUI side of hugin. So it should be possible to build that hugin
> tool without the rest of its GUI. Sounds like another USE flag, or
> perhaps splitting align_image_stack into a separate ebuild and having
> both luminance-hdr and hugin pull that in.

Sounds reasonable. Create a new ebuild for Hugin also, and add a USE=-X option.

> 3) Luminance-hdr doesn't *need* hugin; it has a builtin tool that
> fills the same role, but behaves a bit differently. It should be
> perfectly possible to remove hugin's tool from the list of options,
> based on a USE flag.

I'd have current behaviour depend on USE=hugin in that case. USE=-hugin by default.

Stroller.