Old 12-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Michael Hampicke

Default Where to set language with lightdm

Hey there,
I've been having some problems with GDM recently (freeze after reboot,
freeze after suspend) so I thought I'd give lightdm a shot.
So far everything works great, but I cannot set a language for a lightdm
session.

My system locale is set to en_US.utf8 because when working with command
line tools I prefere if they talk english to me.
But I like my Desktop (everything running under X) to be in german. With
GDM that was no problem: just set the system locale to english and
create a .dmrc file in the home directory where you set
'Language=de_DE.UTF-8'

Lightdm ignores that file. After some google foo I found that if you
edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf and set
'show-language-selector=true' you can choose a language before logging
in (like with GDM) - however, I can choose what i wan't, my Desktop is
still in english.

So far it seems that nothing works, except setting the system's default
locale to german in /etc/env.d/02locale - but that's not what I want.

Do you have any thoughts?