Old 03-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Neil Bothwick

Default Emergency shutdown, how to?

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:51:20 +0100, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:

> By the way the safest and recommended command, although a bit longish
> should be ALT+SysRq(or print)+S(ync)+U(mount)+B(Reboot).

Alt-SysRq E I S U B is better as it kills running processes first. If you
have time, pause between the keystrokes to give them time to work.

--
Neil Bothwick

Are Cheerios really doughnut seeds?

Old 03-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Hello

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 09:11:53AM +0100, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> > Anybody ever do it and can tell me how long
> > a shutdown takes?
>
> As long as you need to strike the keys.

Not really true. I have set my dirty cache timeout to 10 minutes, so it
can hold some few hundred megabytes of unsynced data (happens rarely),
so it can take like 10 seconds to dump them to disk.

But with clean cache, it is as fast as hitting a hard switch.

--
Hallowed be the zeroes and ones

Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Old 03-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:

By the way the safest and recommended command, although a bit longish
should be ALT+SysRq(or print)+S(ync)+U(mount)+B(Reboot).

Alt-SysRq E I S U B is better as it kills running processes first. If you
have time, pause between the keystrokes to give them time to work.

Cooool. I'll try to grow a pair and test this thing sometime. This
sounds like it would be pretty fast.

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-02-2008, 01:36 PM
"Liviu Andronic"

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Dale <dalek1967@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > By the way the safest and recommended command, although a bit longish
> > should be ALT+SysRq(or print)+S(ync)+U(mount)+B(Reboot).
> >

> Since I wanted to shutdown instead of reboot, it would be ALT + SysRq + S +
> U + O then correct?

Are there any potential harms to the hardware / system in case one
tends to abuse (i.e. use more often than necessary) of this command?
It's so often so tempting to shut down your system fast.
Liviu

Old 04-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Michael Schmarck

Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any potential harms to the hardware / system in case one
> tends to abuse (i.e. use more often than necessary) of this command?

You're not shutting down the system in a clean way. Because of
this, filesystem and/or applications might get corrupt (eg. think
of a database, which was in the middle of writing to some of
its tables).

> It's so often so tempting to shut down your system fast.

Yeah, it sure is

Michael

Old 04-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Mittwoch, 2. April 2008 schrieb ext Michael Schmarck:

> You're not shutting down the system in a clean way.

You're not? I thought that's the purpose of the whole thing?

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Old 04-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Michael Schmarck

Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@nsn.com> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 2. April 2008 schrieb ext Michael Schmarck:
>
>> You're not shutting down the system in a clean way.
>
> You're not? I thought that's the purpose of the whole thing?

It's more like pulling the plug, isn't it? At least none of
the shutdown scripts is run. And if you don't run ALT + SysRq + U,
or if it just doesn't work (like hangs at some (remote) fs),
filesystems aren't even unmounted and thus dirty and thus need
a fsck run on next boot.

Michael

Old 04-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Mittwoch, 2. April 2008 schrieb ext Michael Schmarck:
> Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@nsn.com> wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 2. April 2008 schrieb ext Michael Schmarck:
> >> You're not shutting down the system in a clean way.
> >
> > You're not? I thought that's the purpose of the whole thing?
>
> It's more like pulling the plug, isn't it? At least none of
> the shutdown scripts is run. And if you don't run ALT + SysRq + U,
> or if it just doesn't work (like hangs at some (remote) fs),

But nobody proposed _not_ to run ALT + SysRq + U, Neil even proposed ALT +
SysRq + EISUB, to be sure everything is killed, sync'd and unmounted.

> filesystems aren't even unmounted and thus dirty and thus need
> a fsck run on next boot.

XFS to the rescue :-)

Bye...

Dirk

Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 7:28 AM, Dirk Heinrichs
<dirk.heinrichs.ext@nsn.com> wrote:

> But nobody proposed _not_ to run ALT + SysRq + U, Neil even proposed ALT +
> SysRq + EISUB, to be sure everything is killed, sync'd and unmounted.

There is actually a Wikipedia page that recommended remembering the
word BUSIER and then executing it backwards:

ALT+SysRq+REISUB

- Mark

Old 04-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 16:28:29 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

> But nobody proposed _not_ to run ALT + SysRq + U, Neil even proposed
> ALT + SysRq + EISUB, to be sure everything is killed, sync'd and
> unmounted.

Just don't try to do E or I over an SSH connection. It kills the SSH
daemon and you can't reboot the box. You can guess how I learned that
one

--
Neil Bothwick

Windows Error #02: Multitasking attempted. System confused.