Old 12-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Mick

Default Portage-utils reinitialization - do I need it?

This came up today when I updated portage-utils:

* Messages for package app-portage/portage-utils-0.8:

* /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize has been installed for convenience
* If you wish for it to be automatically run at the end of every --sync:
* # chmod +x /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize

I'm not really sure if I need to be running this script after I resync:

#!/bin/sh
[ -x /usr/bin/q ] && /usr/bin/q -r ${PORTAGE_QUIET:+-q}

which from the man page of q tells me that it will "reinitialize ebuild
cache". Do I need this if I already use eix? Doesn't eix manage all portage
databases?
Mick

Old 12-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Paul Hartman

Old 12-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Mick

On Friday 23 Dec 2011 11:07:39 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On 12/23/2011 03:50 AM, Mick wrote:
> > This came up today when I updated portage-utils:
> >
> > * Messages for package app-portage/portage-utils-0.8:
> >
> > * /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize has been installed for
> > convenience * If you wish for it to be automatically run at the end
> > of every --sync: * # chmod +x
> > /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize
> >
> > I'm not really sure if I need to be running this script after I
> > resync:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh [ -x /usr/bin/q ] && /usr/bin/q -r ${PORTAGE_QUIET:+-q}
> >
> > which from the man page of q tells me that it will "reinitialize
> > ebuild cache". Do I need this if I already use eix? Doesn't eix
> > manage all portage databases?
>
> I believe q-reinitialize updates the cache used by the q* utils. If
> you don't use them for searching (using eix instead) then it's
> probably not important for you to add that.

Thanks for explaining this to me. I occasionally use them, but not that
often.
Mick