-   -   Emergency shutdown, how to? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/61311-emergency-shutdown-how.html)

Dale 03-28-2008 06:33 AM

Emergency shutdown, how to?

Hi,

I had a problem the other day where I needed to shutdown, like in a real
hurry. My power supply was packed up and checking out without paying
the bill. I was in KDE and just selected logout then shutdown from the
menu. Is there a faster way to shutdown so that at least the file
system is clean? Some fancy keystroke pattern or a short command
maybe? I run foldingathome and that pesky "waiting 17 seconds" thing
was torture. I need it to bypass that little "feature" as well.

I hope I never run into this again but just in case I would like a
pointer. It did make it to the point where it said it was unmounting
file systems but one partition must have been mounted since it was well,
pissed, about not being unmounted cleanly. ;-) Thank goodness for
reiserfs coming to the rescue. After putting in a new P/S all is well
again.

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

"Daniel Pielmeier" 03-28-2008 06:41 AM

Emergency shutdown, how to?

2008/3/28, Dale <dalek1967@bellsouth.net>:
> Hi,
>
> I had a problem the other day where I needed to shutdown, like in a real
> hurry. My power supply was packed up and checking out without paying
> the bill. I was in KDE and just selected logout then shutdown from the
> menu. Is there a faster way to shutdown so that at least the file
> system is clean? Some fancy keystroke pattern or a short command
> maybe? I run foldingathome and that pesky "waiting 17 seconds" thing
> was torture. I need it to bypass that little "feature" as well.
>
> I hope I never run into this again but just in case I would like a
> pointer. It did make it to the point where it said it was unmounting
> file systems but one partition must have been mounted since it was well,
> pissed, about not being unmounted cleanly. ;-) Thank goodness for
> reiserfs coming to the rescue. After putting in a new P/S all is well
> again.

You can try this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

Regards,

Daniel

Dirk Heinrichs 03-28-2008 06:42 AM

Emergency shutdown, how to?

Am Freitag, 28. März 2008 schrieb ext Dale:

> Is there a faster way to shutdown so that at least the file
> system is clean?

Read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt.

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733

Dirk Heinrichs 03-28-2008 06:46 AM

Emergency shutdown, how to?

Am Freitag, 28. März 2008 schrieb ext Daniel Pielmeier:

> You can try this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

Wow, good to know that Wikipedia has it, just in case I don't have kernel
sources installed on my Gentoo systems ;-)

Bye...

Dirk

"Daniel Pielmeier" 03-28-2008 06:51 AM

Emergency shutdown, how to?

2008/3/28, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@nsn.com>:
> Am Freitag, 28. März 2008 schrieb ext Daniel Pielmeier:
>
> > You can try this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
>
> Wow, good to know that Wikipedia has it, just in case I don't have kernel
> sources installed on my Gentoo systems ;-)

Yeah, i think it is a bit more readable than the kernel documentation. ;-)

By the way the safest and recommended command, although a bit longish
should be ALT+SysRq(or print)+S(ync)+U(mount)+B(Reboot).

Regards,

Daniel

Dale 03-28-2008 07:07 AM

Emergency shutdown, how to?

Daniel Pielmeier wrote:

Wow, good to know that Wikipedia has it, just in case I don't have kernel
sources installed on my Gentoo systems ;-)

Yeah, i think it is a bit more readable than the kernel documentation. ;-)

By the way the safest and recommended command, although a bit longish
should be ALT+SysRq(or print)+S(ync)+U(mount)+B(Reboot).

Regards,

Daniel
����z�b�� z{h�����x%ist=

Since I wanted to shutdown instead of reboot, it would be ALT + SysRq +
S + U + O then correct? I have never done this before so what if any
are the gotcha's with this? Anybody ever do it and can tell me how long
a shutdown takes? Is it like seconds or what? Also, will this work if
I am logged into KDE and in the GUI?

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

Dirk Heinrichs 03-28-2008 07:11 AM

Emergency shutdown, how to?

Am Freitag, 28. März 2008 schrieb ext Dale:
> I have never done this before so what if any
> are the gotcha's with this?

None.

> Anybody ever do it and can tell me how long
> a shutdown takes?

As long as you need to strike the keys.

>*Also, will this work if
> I am logged into KDE and in the GUI?