Old 12-22-2011, 05:16 AM
"G.Wolfe Woodbury"

Default GDM kbd/mouse lockup after emerge --update on a stable amd64 platform - need hints to cure

I did:
emerge -va --update --deep --newuse @world
on a stable gentoo amd64 (multilib) system after switching the profile
from "desktop/gnome" to "desktop" and adding
qt4 and kde flags to make.conf. [I wan to add a few kde apps to the
mix, but not everything.]

Since then, I get a keyboard and mouse lockup when gdm starts. and can't
login graphically or switch to a text console.

I'd rather not do a complete re-install on that instance, so some clue
as to where to look for problems beyond the obvious dmesg
and boot info.

I do get a "dmeventd" failure to start, so lvm-monitoring fails to start
(even after a re-emerge of lvm2) but don't think that as anything to do
with the X lockup. Startx from single user mode also causes a kbd/mouse
lockup.

I've verified that the kernel has the proper event configuration.
Perusing the Xorg.0.log reveals evdev failing to load:

> [ 410.507] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
> [ 410.507] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
> [ 410.513] (II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> [ 410.513] compiled for 1.10.4, module version = 2.6.0
> [ 410.513] Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
> [ 410.513] ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 12.2
> [ 410.513] (EE) module ABI major version (12) doesn't match the
> server's version (13)
> [ 410.513] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> [ 410.513] (II) Unloading evdev
> [ 410.513] (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module requirement
> mismatch, 0)
> [ 410.513] (EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
> [ 410.513] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button
> (/dev/input/event1)
> [ 410.513] (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard
> catchall"
> [ 410.513] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
> [ 410.513] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
> [ 410.513] (II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> [ 410.513] compiled for 1.10.4, module version = 2.6.0
> [ 410.513] Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
> [ 410.513] ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 12.2
> [ 410.513] (EE) module ABI major version (12) doesn't match the
> server's version (13)
> [ 410.513] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> [ 410.513] (II) Unloading evdev
> [ 410.513] (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module requirement
> mismatch, 0)
> [ 410.513] (EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
> [ 410.514] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Sleep Button
> (/dev/input/event0)
which tell me something went wrong in the re-emerge of xorg something,
but I'd like to get a clue as to just what to do to fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury
aka redwolfe@gmail.com

Old 12-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Pintér Tibor

Reemerge all xf86* packages Quite obvious as the log clearly gives the clue (new xorg server version, driver version mismatch)

Old 12-22-2011, 07:02 AM
"G.Wolfe Woodbury"

On 12/22/2011 02:00 AM, Pintér Tibor wrote:

Reemerge all xf86* packages
Quite obvious as the log clearly gives the clue (new xorg
server version, driver version mismatch)

I looked right at it and missed the obvious!* Thanks for the
clue-by-four.

--

GWW

Old 12-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Alex Schuster

G.Wolfe Woodbury writes:

> On 12/22/2011 02:00 AM, Pintér Tibor wrote:
> > Reemerge all xf86* packages
> > Quite obvious as the log clearly gives the clue (new xorg server
> > version, driver version mismatch)

> I looked right at it and missed the obvious! Thanks for the
> clue-by-four.

BTW, emerge -a @x11-module-rebuild will do this.

Wonko

Old 12-23-2011, 04:12 AM
Michael Mol

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> G.Wolfe Woodbury writes:
>
>> On 12/22/2011 02:00 AM, Pintér Tibor wrote:
>> > Reemerge all xf86* packages
>> > Quite obvious as the log clearly gives the clue (new xorg server
>> > version, driver version mismatch)
>
>> I looked right at it and missed the obvious! *Thanks for the
>> clue-by-four.
>
> BTW, emerge -a @x11-module-rebuild will do this.
>
> * * * *Wonko

emerge: There are no sets to satisfy 'x11-module-rebuild'. The
following sets exist:

selected
system
world

--
:wq

Old 12-23-2011, 04:46 AM
Dale

G.Wolfe Woodbury writes:

On 12/22/2011 02:00 AM, Pintér Tibor wrote:

Reemerge all xf86* packages
Quite obvious as the log clearly gives the clue (new xorg server
version, driver version mismatch)

I looked right at it and missed the obvious! Thanks for the
clue-by-four.

BTW, emerge -a @x11-module-rebuild will do this.

Wonko

emerge: There are no sets to satisfy 'x11-module-rebuild'. The
following sets exist:

selected
system
world

Someone posted this one liner a while back:

emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)

That takes care of the video driver, mouse, keyboard and such. Mine is
these packages:

root@fireball / # qlist -I -C x11-drivers/
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev
x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv
x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa
root@fireball / #

I try to remember to run that when I upgrade the kernel or xorg. I
usually forget and have to do the SysReq keystroke magic. After I slap
my forehead of course.

There are quite a few of these commands that gets posted from time to
time. As a hint, I have a text file in my /root directory that contains
the commands and a description. I just cat and grep the file when I
need to. I wouldn't recommend a user directory tho. If for someone
reason only root is mounted, then you can get to /root but not /home if
it is a separate partition. You, and other Gentooers, may want to think
about doing something like this.

Hope this helps in some small way.

Dale

:-) :-)

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 12-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Mick

On Friday 23 Dec 2011 05:12:47 Michael Mol wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> > G.Wolfe Woodbury writes:
> >>
> >> I looked right at it and missed the obvious! Thanks for the
> >> clue-by-four.
> >
> > BTW, emerge -a @x11-module-rebuild will do this.
> >
> > Wonko
>
> emerge: There are no sets to satisfy 'x11-module-rebuild'. The
> following sets exist:
>
> selected
> system
> world

You need portage-2.2 to be able to use sets.
Mick

Old 12-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Michael Mol

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Alex Schuster<wonko@wonkology.org>
>> *wrote:

>>> BTW, emerge -a @x11-module-rebuild will do this.
>>>
>>> * * * *Wonko
>>>
>> emerge: There are no sets to satisfy 'x11-module-rebuild'. The
>> following sets exist:
>>
>> * * selected
>> * * system
>> * * world
>>

> Someone posted this one liner a while back:
>
> emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)
>
> That takes care of the video driver, mouse, keyboard and such. *Mine is
> these packages:
>
> root@fireball / # qlist -I -C x11-drivers/
> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa
> root@fireball / #

I wound up doing something similar, involving a mix of eix, grep and sed.

> I try to remember to run that when I upgrade the kernel or xorg. *I usually
> forget and have to do the SysReq keystroke magic. *After I slap my forehead
> of course.

I still don't know the SysReq magic. I've just ssh'd in. If I can't do
that, it usually means something hardlocked.

> There are quite a few of these commands that gets posted from time to time.
> *As a hint, I have a text file in my /root directory that contains the
> commands and a description. *I just cat and grep the file when I need to. *I
> wouldn't recommend a user directory tho. *If for someone reason only root is
> mounted, then you can get to /root but not /home if it is a separate
> partition. *You, and other Gentooers, may want to think about doing
> something like this.
>
> Hope this helps in some small way.

Funny thing is, I thought I'd taken care of it. It didn't crop up for
me until xscreensaver kicked in, which crashed X due to differeing ABI
versions between what was already running and what xscreensaver tried
to get linked in. Guess I should remember to restart X.

--
:wq

Old 12-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Michael Mol

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 5:38 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 23 Dec 2011 05:12:47 Michael Mol wrote:

>> > BTW, emerge -a @x11-module-rebuild will do this.
>> >
>> > * * * *Wonko
>>
>> emerge: There are no sets to satisfy 'x11-module-rebuild'. The
>> following sets exist:
>>
>> * * selected
>> * * system
>> * * world
>
> You need portage-2.2 to be able to use sets.

Sadly, 2.1.10.11 is the latest marked stable for ~amd64. (Or was, last
time I synced.)

It'll be nice when it's available, though.

--
:wq

Old 12-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Dale

Michael Mol wrote:
I still don't know the SysReq magic. I've just ssh'd in. If I can't do
that, it usually means something hardlocked.

This is from a post Neil made many ages ago. Notice the random sig too.

"Hold down Atl, hold down SysRq, press each of the keys in turn. The
usual full sequence is R-E-I-S-U-B Reboot Even If System Utterly Broken

By ${DEITY} - this tagline picker is spooky at times :-O

-- Neil Bothwick System halted - Press all keys at once to continue." Me
again, don't forget to include the options in the kernel config too.
Should look like this: root@fireball / # zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i
sysrq CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y root@fireball / # When it locks up to the
point that those keys don't work, grip the plug firmly and pull. I
usually get to about the E and sometimes the I before I find myself at a
console. Another thing, it is best if you use that to go all the way
down to single user mode, make sure no processes are running that
shouldn't with top or something then go back to regular default mode. I
say that because sometimes there is plenty of cruft left hanging around.
It stops services but the services still have run and lock files and it
leads to errors. You could also just reboot too.

There are quite a few of these commands that gets posted from time to time.
As a hint, I have a text file in my /root directory that contains the
commands and a description. I just cat and grep the file when I need to. I
wouldn't recommend a user directory tho. If for someone reason only root is
mounted, then you can get to /root but not /home if it is a separate
partition. You, and other Gentooers, may want to think about doing
something like this.

Hope this helps in some small way.

Funny thing is, I thought I'd taken care of it. It didn't crop up for
me until xscreensaver kicked in, which crashed X due to differeing ABI
versions between what was already running and what xscreensaver tried
to get linked in. Guess I should remember to restart X.

Yea, some updates are tricky. A good while back, I could upgrade all of
KDE and not logout until it is done. Now I have to logout at least a
couple times or things get buggy. I guess things are pretty tight
between programs nowadays.

Dale

:-) :-)