Old 03-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Grant

Default Unplugging USB wireless adapter

Whenever I unplug a USB wireless adapter I must reboot in order for it
to be recognized again. Is there a way to avoid the reboot?

- Grant

Old 03-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Donnerstag, 27. März 2008, Grant wrote:
> Whenever I unplug a USB wireless adapter I must reboot in order for it
> to be recognized again. Is there a way to avoid the reboot?
>
> - Grant

making usb modular and unload/reload the modules?

Old 03-28-2008, 01:49 AM
Grant

> > Whenever I unplug a USB wireless adapter I must reboot in order for it
> > to be recognized again. Is there a way to avoid the reboot?
> >
> > - Grant
>
> making usb modular and unload/reload the modules?

I think I just needed to make sure to stop net.wlan0 before removing
the adapter. I thought that didn't work before, but it seems to be
now.

- Grant

Old 03-28-2008, 02:43 AM
Dale

Grant wrote:

> Whenever I unplug a USB wireless adapter I must reboot in order for it
> to be recognized again. Is there a way to avoid the reboot?
>
> - Grant

making usb modular and unload/reload the modules?

I think I just needed to make sure to stop net.wlan0 before removing
the adapter. I thought that didn't work before, but it seems to be
now.

- Grant

I haven't kept up with this but isn't there a hotplug/coldplug monitor
that detects things like this? I'm thinking hotplug is the correct one
since the machine is powered up.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Hello

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:43:58PM -0500, Dale wrote:
> I haven't kept up with this but isn't there a hotplug/coldplug monitor that
> detects things like this? I'm thinking hotplug is the correct one since
> the machine is powered up.

I think it is no longer needed and udev should take care of all this. At
last, I do not have hotplug nor coldplug and inserting/removing all usb
devices, laptop modules, PCMCIAs works on runtime.

--
Support your right to arm bears!!

Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Old 03-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:09:08 +0100, Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:

> I think it is no longer needed and udev should take care of all this. At
> last, I do not have hotplug nor coldplug and inserting/removing all usb
> devices, laptop modules, PCMCIAs works on runtime.

That's fine with most devices, but causes a problem with network
adaptors. No hotplug system can anticipate your removing the device and
unmount NFS shares before you do it, so the only safe way to remove a USB
NIC is to bring down the interface first.

--
Neil Bothwick

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Hello

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:42:18AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:09:08 +0100, Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
>
> > I think it is no longer needed and udev should take care of all this. At
> > last, I do not have hotplug nor coldplug and inserting/removing all usb
> > devices, laptop modules, PCMCIAs works on runtime.
>
> That's fine with most devices, but causes a problem with network
> adaptors. No hotplug system can anticipate your removing the device and
> unmount NFS shares before you do it, so the only safe way to remove a USB
> NIC is to bring down the interface first.

Yes, sure. It can't unmount it and terminate the connections. However,
there is no reason why the device shouldn't be detected again. And, if
hotplug can do it, why couldn't udev?

I was just saying hotplug is outdated and replaced by udev.

--
This email was generated by a biological random generator.
If you want more random text, just respond to this email.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Old 03-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Grant

> > I think it is no longer needed and udev should take care of all this. At
> > last, I do not have hotplug nor coldplug and inserting/removing all usb
> > devices, laptop modules, PCMCIAs works on runtime.
>
> That's fine with most devices, but causes a problem with network
> adaptors. No hotplug system can anticipate your removing the device and
> unmount NFS shares before you do it, so the only safe way to remove a USB
> NIC is to bring down the interface first.

Here's the problem. I have an Edimax and a Linksys USB adapter. They
both use the rt73usb driver in 2.6.24. I can stop the interface and
successfully switch from Edimax to Linksys, but trying to go from
Linksys to Edimax says the hardware is not present when trying to
start the interface again. Rebooting fixes it. Can anyone make sense
of that?

- Grant