Old 12-20-2011, 04:31 PM
LinuxIsOne

Default From where the word 'gentoo' came?

Hi,

From where the word gentoo came into existence?

Thanks.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:31 PM, LinuxIsOne <reallife@hmamail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From where the word gentoo came into existence?

Gentoo is a species of penguin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentoo_Penguin

--
:wq

Old 12-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

On 12/20/2011 07:34 PM, Michael Mol wrote:

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:31 PM, LinuxIsOne<reallife@hmamail.com> wrote:

Hi,

From where the word gentoo came into existence?

Gentoo is a species of penguin.

<troll_mode>
No. Gentoo is an anagram for "net goo". Furthermore, "Gentoo Linux" is
an anagram for "Tux, go online". This why "Gentoo" was chosen.

</troll_mode>

Old 12-20-2011, 04:54 PM
LinuxIsOne

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gentoo is a species of penguin.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentoo_Penguin

Oh I see.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:54 PM
LinuxIsOne

Old 12-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Dan Johansson

On Tuesday 20 December 2011 19.43:42 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 12/20/2011 07:34 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:31 PM, LinuxIsOne<reallife@hmamail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> From where the word gentoo came into existence?
> >
> > Gentoo is a species of penguin.
>
> <troll_mode>
> No. Gentoo is an anagram for "net goo". Furthermore, "Gentoo Linux" is
> an anagram for "Tux, go online". This why "Gentoo" was chosen.
> </troll_mode>

Stupid me, I thought that is was because of this "They (Gentoo penguin) are
the fastest underwater swimming penguins, reaching speeds of 36 km/h. Gentoo
are adapted to very harsh cold climates."

--
Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!

Old 12-20-2011, 05:02 PM
LinuxIsOne

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:29 PM, Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson@dmj.nu> wrote:

> Stupid me, I thought that is was because of this "They (Gentoo penguin) are
> the fastest underwater swimming penguins, reaching speeds of 36 km/h. Gentoo
> are adapted to very harsh cold climates."

I liked the word 'Gentoo', cool!

Old 12-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

onomatopoeia

gentoo linux in named after gentoo penguins.

Those are small and fast.

They are named after the sound they make if you bring one to Tour d'Argent and put it into the duck press.

--
#163933

Old 12-20-2011, 05:12 PM
LinuxIsOne

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> onomatopoeia

> gentoo linux in named after gentoo penguins.

> Those are small and fast.

> They are named after the sound they make if you bring one to Tour d'Argent and put it into the duck press.

Nice to know!

Old 12-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Dale

Dan Johansson wrote:

No. Gentoo is an anagram for "net goo". Furthermore, "Gentoo Linux" is
an anagram for "Tux, go online". This why "Gentoo" was chosen.
</troll_mode>

Stupid me, I thought that is was because of this "They (Gentoo penguin) are
the fastest underwater swimming penguins, reaching speeds of 36 km/h. Gentoo
are adapted to very harsh cold climates."

That was what I read somewhere too.

Dale

:-) :-)

Miss the compile output? Hint: