Old 12-20-2011, 10:41 AM
"Albert W. Hopkins"

Default gnome-shell, networkmanager, wifi re-connect

On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 11:25 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
[...]
> Do you see the same amounts of time to reconnect?

Not for me. I'm reconnected before I have a chance to type in my
password... unless it's taking me a long time to type in my password :P

Not that I consider 30 seconds "quite a long time" anyway...

This is also a ThinkPad.

But if it's really only 30 seconds, I suggest you relax :P

-a

Old 12-20-2011, 11:06 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 20.12.2011 12:41, schrieb Albert W. Hopkins:
> On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 11:25 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> [...]
>> Do you see the same amounts of time to reconnect?
>
> Not for me. I'm reconnected before I have a chance to type in my
> password... unless it's taking me a long time to type in my password :P
>
> Not that I consider 30 seconds "quite a long time" anyway...
>
> This is also a ThinkPad.
>
> But if it's really only 30 seconds, I suggest you relax :P

Yeah, sure ;-)

Maybe I have something wrong in my /etc/hibernate/common.conf ... gotta
look that up now.

thx, Stefan

Old 12-20-2011, 11:55 AM
"Albert W. Hopkins"

On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 13:06 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Maybe I have something wrong in my /etc/hibernate/common.conf ...
> gotta
> look that up now.

I suspect that's not it. If I were to guess I'd say it's probably
"normal"; that it takes a while to associate with the AP, either because
it's a less-than-stellar AP or you have a lot of RF
activity/interference in your area.

Personally, if it's only 30 seconds I wouldn't worry about it. It takes
me at least that long to remember why I needed to turn on the computer
anyway :P

For s&g, I made a screencast of me suspending and resuming my ThinkPad.
The entire video is only 34 seconds (oddly, it doesn't recored while
it's suspended :P) and as you can see I'm connected to the AP as soon as
the screen unlocks.

http://marduk.sdf.org/suspend.avi

Also, you didn't mention your kernel. Could be an anomaly of your
kernel/firmware.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:16 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 20.12.2011 13:55, schrieb Albert W. Hopkins:
> On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 13:06 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>> Maybe I have something wrong in my /etc/hibernate/common.conf ...
>> gotta look that up now.
>
> I suspect that's not it. If I were to guess I'd say it's probably
> "normal"; that it takes a while to associate with the AP, either
> because it's a less-than-stellar AP or you have a lot of RF
> activity/interference in your area.

Maybe the cheap Netgear-AP, yep. btw, the AP is still 802.11g only (54
MBit/s).

But it connects faster when I boot the machine than when I resume it!
At least it seems like, maybe I get that wrong ...

> Personally, if it's only 30 seconds I wouldn't worry about it. It
> takes me at least that long to remember why I needed to turn on the
> computer anyway :P

It's just a bit annoying. I remember this or that, or want to quickly
research something ... take the thinkpad and then -wait- ... but as I
mentioned, I just want to check how others experience this.

> For s&g, I made a screencast of me suspending and resuming my
> ThinkPad. The entire video is only 34 seconds (oddly, it doesn't
> recored while it's suspended :P) and as you can see I'm connected to
> the AP as soon as the screen unlocks.
>
> http://marduk.sdf.org/suspend.avi

black only here ... very suspended ;-) ... seems to take some time to
download.

> Also, you didn't mention your kernel. Could be an anomaly of your
> kernel/firmware.

Latest and greatest:

gentoo-sources-3.1.5 ~amd64 ... iwlagn-kernel-module ...
with firmware net-wireless/iwl6005-ucode-17.168.5.3

lspci says:

Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (rev 34)

Stefan

Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 PM
"Albert W. Hopkins"

On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 15:16 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

> But it connects faster when I boot the machine than when I resume it!
> At least it seems like, maybe I get that wrong ...

At it's core NM is just a daemon. The gnome/kde stuff are just
front-ends that talk to the daemon via dbus when need-be. So likely it
"appears" faster when you boot because the NetworkManager service is
already started and connecting to your AP before you even see X come up.
When you resume, all that other machinery is already up, so you are
waiting on the card and the AP to associate.

> > Personally, if it's only 30 seconds I wouldn't worry about it. It
> > takes me at least that long to remember why I needed to turn on the
> > computer anyway :P
>
> It's just a bit as nnoying. I remember this or that, or want to quickly
> research something ... take the thinkpad and then -wait- ... but as I
> mentioned, I just want to check how others experience this.

I personally haven't experienced the problem, but even if I did, I
wouldn't think that gnome/nm/suspend would be the fault.

Question: have you tried associateting with the AP manually? How long
does that take? Have you tried associating with other APs?

> > For s&g, I made a screencast of me suspending and resuming my
> > ThinkPad. The entire video is only 34 seconds (oddly, it doesn't
> > recored while it's suspended :P) and as you can see I'm connected to
> > the AP as soon as the screen unlocks.
> >
> > http://marduk.sdf.org/suspend.avi
>
> black only here ... very suspended ;-) ... seems to take some time to
> download.

Should not take too long unless you have a very slow connection... it's
a 306K file (took me less than 1 second to wget). It's uses the H.264
video codec so I'm guessing you don't have that.

> > Also, you didn't mention your kernel. Could be an anomaly of your
> > kernel/firmware.
>
> Latest and greatest:
>
> gentoo-sources-3.1.5 ~amd64 ... iwlagn-kernel-module ...
> with firmware net-wireless/iwl6005-ucode-17.168.5.3
>
> lspci says:
>
> Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (rev 34)

Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000 here. I guess mine's not
"Advanced" but it's fast . I'm on the 3.2 rc's but don't recall any
issues in the 3.1 days... I'm using a different firmware though.. the
iwlwifi.. but maybe it's because my card is different.

-a

Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 20.12.2011 16:11, schrieb Albert W. Hopkins:

> At it's core NM is just a daemon. The gnome/kde stuff are just
> front-ends that talk to the daemon via dbus when need-be. So likely
> it "appears" faster when you boot because the NetworkManager service
> is already started and connecting to your AP before you even see X
> come up. When you resume, all that other machinery is already up, so
> you are waiting on the card and the AP to associate.

Another thing in the game: my home-dir is encrypted.

So afai understand NM is only able to read the settings of my user AFTER
I logged in (and mounted /home via pam_mount). Correct?

So it should be faster after resume ... ?

> Question: have you tried associateting with the AP manually? How
> long does that take? Have you tried associating with other APs?

I did but that was without specifically watching times ... at customers
I had other things in mind. Here in my office I currently only have that
AP available for now.

> Should not take too long unless you have a very slow connection...
> it's a 306K file (took me less than 1 second to wget). It's uses the
> H.264 video codec so I'm guessing you don't have that.

Exactly. Never mind. Thanks anyway.

>>> Also, you didn't mention your kernel. Could be an anomaly of
>>> your kernel/firmware.
>>
>> Latest and greatest:
>>
>> gentoo-sources-3.1.5 ~amd64 ... iwlagn-kernel-module ... with
>> firmware net-wireless/iwl6005-ucode-17.168.5.3
>>
>> lspci says:
>>
>> Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (rev 34)
>
> Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000 here. I guess mine's not
> "Advanced" but it's fast . I'm on the 3.2 rc's but don't recall
> any issues in the 3.1 days... I'm using a different firmware though..
> the iwlwifi.. but maybe it's because my card is different.

very likely, yes.

I found my firmware by doing some trial-and-error and googling.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 2011-12-20 20:18, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

>> Question: have you tried associateting with the AP manually? How
>> long does that take? Have you tried associating with other APs?

Got it, maybe. Edited that connection (right-click on nm-applet ...) and
headed for the IPv6-tab. Set that to "ignore".

Suspended, went to the fridge ... resumed, much quicker!

Looks promising, will re-test now.

Stefan

Old 12-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
> Am 2011-12-20 20:18, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
>
>>> Question: have you tried associateting with the AP manually? *How
>>> long does that take? *Have you tried associating with other APs?
>
> Got it, maybe. Edited that connection (right-click on nm-applet ...) and
> headed for the IPv6-tab. Set that to "ignore".
>
> Suspended, went to the fridge ... resumed, much quicker!
>
> Looks promising, will re-test now.

You know, there's another solution for that...Set up radvd on your network.

Though having to wait that long before it times out waiting for RAs
seems a bit excessive.

--
:wq

Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 2011-12-20 21:10, schrieb Michael Mol:

> You know, there's another solution for that...Set up radvd on your network.

ah, next year ......... ;-)

> Though having to wait that long before it times out waiting for RAs
> seems a bit excessive.

I am happy to have quick ipv4-reconnect for now.
No need to research ipv6-timeout-values for me right now ;-)

for the records: third resume quick as well ...