FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Dale
 
Default DVD gives error but works fine

This is mostly for Joerg Schilling since he is the list guru for ALL
things DVD but others with nice answers can reply too. ;-) Anyway.


I have been making movie DVDs. Yea, I figured it out. It took a while
too. Thing is, when I get ready to burn the DVD, I put in a nice shiney
new DVD+RW that is made by Memorex. I then tell k3b to burn the image.
It does its preformat thing then pops up a error that it failed.
Nothing more than that that I can see. It also spits the DVD out. I
click load and it goes back in and finishes the burn normally and I
might add that I have played several of these DVDs and they work fine.


Since it burns fine and works in the end, why does it give me this
error? Some info:


root@fireball / # equery list *cdr*
* Searching for *cdr* ...
[IP-] [ ] app-cdr/cdrdao-1.2.3-r1:0
[IP-] [ ] app-cdr/cdrtools-3.01_alpha06:0
[IP-] [ ] virtual/cdrtools-0:0
root@fireball / # equery list *k3b*
* Searching for *k3b* ...
[IP-] [ ] app-cdr/k3b-2.0.2-r1:4
root@fireball / #

[ebuild R ~] app-cdr/cdrtools-3.01_alpha06 USE="unicode -acl" 1,980 kB
[ebuild R ] app-cdr/k3b-2.0.2-r1 USE="dvd encode ffmpeg flac
handbook mad vcd vorbis wav (-aqua) -debug -emovix (-kdeenablefinal)
-lame -musepack -musicbrainz -sndfile -sox -taglib" LINGUAS="-ast -be
-bg -ca -ca@valencia -cs -csb -da -de -el -en_GB -eo -es -et -eu -fi -fr
-ga -gl -he -hi -hne -hr -hu -is -it -ja -km -ko -ku -lt -mai -nb -nds
-nl -nn -oc -pa -pl -pt -pt_BR -ro -ru -se -sk -sl -sv -th -tr -uk
-zh_CN -zh_TW" 12,533 kB



Ideas? I checked the logs and I don't see anything except the burn itself.

Dale

:-) :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"
 
Old 12-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Mark Knecht
 
Default DVD gives error but works fine

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is mostly for Joerg Schilling since he is the list guru for ALL things
> DVD but others with nice answers can reply too. *;-) * Anyway.
>
> I have been making movie DVDs. *Yea, I figured it out. *It took a while too.
> *Thing is, when I get ready to burn the DVD, I put in a nice shiney new
> DVD+RW that is made by Memorex. *I then tell k3b to burn the image. *It does
> its preformat thing then pops up a error that it failed. *Nothing more than
> that that I can see. *It also spits the DVD out. *I click load and it goes
> back in and finishes the burn normally and I might add that I have played
> several of these DVDs and they work fine.
>
> Since it burns fine and works in the end, why does it give me this error?
> *Some info:
>
> root@fireball / # equery list *cdr*
> ** Searching for *cdr* ...
> [IP-] [ *] app-cdr/cdrdao-1.2.3-r1:0
> [IP-] [ *] app-cdr/cdrtools-3.01_alpha06:0
> [IP-] [ *] virtual/cdrtools-0:0
> root@fireball / # equery list *k3b*
> ** Searching for *k3b* ...
> [IP-] [ *] app-cdr/k3b-2.0.2-r1:4
> root@fireball / #
>
> [ebuild * R * ~] app-cdr/cdrtools-3.01_alpha06 *USE="unicode -acl" 1,980 kB
> [ebuild * R * *] app-cdr/k3b-2.0.2-r1 *USE="dvd encode ffmpeg flac handbook
> mad vcd vorbis wav (-aqua) -debug -emovix (-kdeenablefinal) -lame -musepack
> -musicbrainz -sndfile -sox -taglib" LINGUAS="-ast -be -bg -ca -ca@valencia
> -cs -csb -da -de -el -en_GB -eo -es -et -eu -fi -fr -ga -gl -he -hi -hne -hr
> -hu -is -it -ja -km -ko -ku -lt -mai -nb -nds -nl -nn -oc -pa -pl -pt -pt_BR
> -ro -ru -se -sk -sl -sv -th -tr -uk -zh_CN -zh_TW" 12,533 kB
>
>
> Ideas? *I checked the logs and I don't see anything except the burn itself.
>
> Dale
>

Hi Dale,
We're operating in parallel today but using different tools.

OK, based on Stroller's responses to my DVD Movie backup thread (or
whatever it was called) I'm trying out dvdbackup + mkisofs +
growisofs. So far the best (as measured by my ease of getting through
it) web site I found was an Arch Wiki page:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dvdbackup

From this I got 4 basic commands to try out:

1) Grab the data off the disc backing up everything

dvdbackup -i /dev/dvd -o . -M

2) Create an iso image:

mkisofs -dvd-video -udf -o ./dvd.iso ./MOVIE_NAME

3) Test that the iso works:

mplayer dvd:// -dvd-device ./dvd.iso

4) Write the iso to a DVD disc:

growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=dvd.iso

So far I've had very mixed results, but it's early days:

1) The first movie I tried produced a black screen in mplayer with no
audio and a number of messages telling me to file a bug report.

2) The second movie produced good results in mplayer but the iso file
itself is bigger than 6GB implying to me that maybe it's dual layer or
something else I haven't figured out yet.

Anyway, maybe we can keep each other updated (on list of off,
either is fine with me) about our progress.

- Mark
 
Old 12-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Dale
 
Default DVD gives error but works fine

Mark Knecht wrote:
Hi Dale, We're operating in parallel today but using different tools.
OK, based on Stroller's responses to my DVD Movie backup thread (or
whatever it was called) I'm trying out dvdbackup + mkisofs +
growisofs. So far the best (as measured by my ease of getting through
it) web site I found was an Arch Wiki page:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dvdbackup From this I got 4 basic
commands to try out: 1) Grab the data off the disc backing up
everything dvdbackup -i /dev/dvd -o . -M 2) Create an iso image:
mkisofs -dvd-video -udf -o ./dvd.iso ./MOVIE_NAME 3) Test that the iso
works: mplayer dvd:// -dvd-device ./dvd.iso 4) Write the iso to a DVD
disc: growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=dvd.iso So far I've had very mixed
results, but it's early days: 1) The first movie I tried produced a
black screen in mplayer with no audio and a number of messages telling
me to file a bug report. 2) The second movie produced good results in
mplayer but the iso file itself is bigger than 6GB implying to me that
maybe it's dual layer or something else I haven't figured out yet.
Anyway, maybe we can keep each other updated (on list of off, either
is fine with me) about our progress. - Mark


Well on mine, the only problem is that it gives a error after doing the
preformat part. Other than that, everything works fine. It gives the
error but it appears there is no error. I just let it continue and it
burns fine, plays fine on both my computer and a home DVD player. I
just don't understand why I get a error.


I also forgot to mention, it does this on any burn where I put in a new
DVD. It doesn't have to be a movie, it can be plain data such as a
backup or pictures etc. I just don't know why it is complaining when
really nothing is wrong. I don't know if it is k3b or if it is
something under the hood but I figure our guru would know. I can use
that tkdvd program burner to test this if needed. I think it is still
installed on here.


Dale

:-) :-)

P.S. I been using DeVeDe to burn mine. Nothing fancy yet but I had to
go unstable on EVERYTHING related to get it to work. By everything, I
mean DeVeDe, ffmpeg and a couple other packages I don't recall the name
of at the moment. The stable packages just would not work.


--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"
 
Old 12-20-2011, 07:02 AM
Pandu Poluan
 
Default DVD gives error but works fine

On Dec 20, 2011 6:04 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

>


----->8 snip


>

> * Anyway, maybe we can keep each other updated (on list of off,

> either is fine with me) about our progress.

>


On list, please. Although ATM I have no need to burn movies on a Gentoo, if one day I find myself in a similar situation, I can certainly apply your collective knowledge.


Unless other list members object, of course.


Rgds,
 
Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 AM
"J. Roeleveld"
 
Default DVD gives error but works fine

On Tue, December 20, 2011 9:02 am, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2011 6:04 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>
> ----->8 snip
>
>>
>> Anyway, maybe we can keep each other updated (on list of off,
>> either is fine with me) about our progress.
>>
>
> On list, please. Although ATM I have no need to burn movies on a Gentoo,
> if
> one day I find myself in a similar situation, I can certainly apply your
> collective knowledge.
>
> Unless other list members object, of course.

I wonder why. I archive this list as part of my archive-of-knowledge

When I encounter an issue, I search this list first.

--
Joost
 
Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Mark Knecht
 
Default DVD gives error but works fine

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
>
> On Dec 20, 2011 6:04 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>
> ----->8 snip
>
>>
>> * Anyway, maybe we can keep each other updated (on list of off,
>> either is fine with me) about our progress.
>>
>
> On list, please. Although ATM I have no need to burn movies on a Gentoo, if
> one day I find myself in a similar situation, I can certainly apply your
> collective knowledge.
>
> Unless other list members object, of course.

My reason for that point/question was that IMO the resulting
conversation would have NOTHING to do with Gentoo specifically. It's
just about using software made available by Gentoo, so it has the
potential to become as relevant as a thread about how to program a
spreadsheet, etc...

- Mark
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:06 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org