-   -   Gentoo on other platforms (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/611841-gentoo-other-platforms.html)

Michael Mol 12-19-2011 07:04 PM

Gentoo on other platforms

And by "other", this time I mean "Windows".

Has anyone done something like "Gentoo on mscc+Win32" or "Gentoo on
mingw+Win32"? Portage would kick the pants off of Cygwin's package
management.

--
:wq

Paul Hartman 12-19-2011 07:29 PM

Gentoo on other platforms

http://gentoocygwin.sourceforge.net/

András Csányi 12-19-2011 07:32 PM

Gentoo on other platforms

On 19 December 2011 21:04, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> And by "other", this time I mean "Windows".
>
> Has anyone done something like "Gentoo on mscc+Win32" or "Gentoo on
> mingw+Win32"? Portage would kick the pants off of Cygwin's package
> management.

May I ask what would be the benefit of it? COLinux is not enough for you?

--
- -
--* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --

Michael Mol 12-19-2011 07:34 PM

Gentoo on other platforms

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>> And by "other", this time I mean "Windows".
>>
>> Has anyone done something like "Gentoo on mscc+Win32" or "Gentoo on
>> mingw+Win32"? Portage would kick the pants off of Cygwin's package
>> management.
>
> http://gentoocygwin.sourceforge.net/

Ow. Last update in 2003?

--
:wq

Michael Mol 12-19-2011 07:44 PM

Gentoo on other platforms

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 3:32 PM, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 December 2011 21:04, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>> And by "other", this time I mean "Windows".
>>
>> Has anyone done something like "Gentoo on mscc+Win32" or "Gentoo on
>> mingw+Win32"? Portage would kick the pants off of Cygwin's package
>> management.
>
> May I ask what would be the benefit of it? COLinux is not enough for you?

Hm. Haven't thought about colinux in a couple years, but it looks like
my initial two issues remain:

1) Won't run on 64-bit Windows.
http://colinux.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q27._Does_coLinux_work_under_64-bit_Windows

2) Has problems with SMP systems.
http://colinux.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q13._My_coLinux_installation_seems_to_randomly _and_irregularly_hang_my_PC._Sometimes_it_happens_ when_the_init_scripts_are_running_during_bootup_or _shutdown.2C_sometimes_it_happens_while_a_program_ is_executing_on_the_co_Linux_VM.2C_and_sometimes_c oLinux_runs_just_fine._What.27s_going_on_and_how_d o_I_fix_it.3F

(or, tinyURL'd, http://tinyurl.com/7taofns )

--
:wq

Paul Hartman 12-19-2011 07:56 PM

Gentoo on other platforms

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> And by "other", this time I mean "Windows".
>>>
>>> Has anyone done something like "Gentoo on mscc+Win32" or "Gentoo on
>>> mingw+Win32"? Portage would kick the pants off of Cygwin's package
>>> management.
>>
>> http://gentoocygwin.sourceforge.net/
>
> Ow. Last update in 2003?

There is (was?) an official Gentoo on Cygwin mailing list hosted by
gentoo.org but its last message was in 2008, entitled "Unsubscribe"

Alex Schuster 12-19-2011 08:18 PM

Gentoo on other platforms

Michael Mol writes:

> And by "other", this time I mean "Windows".
>
> Has anyone done something like "Gentoo on mscc+Win32" or "Gentoo on
> mingw+Win32"? Portage would kick the pants off of Cygwin's package
> management.

Have a look at this thread:
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/msg_0ce0c8a15000f7292a0bdda1755854ab.xml

And this link:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Prefix/Cygwin

Wonko

Michael Mol 12-19-2011 08:55 PM

Gentoo on other platforms

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> Michael Mol writes:
>
>> And by "other", this time I mean "Windows".
>>
>> Has anyone done something like "Gentoo on mscc+Win32" or "Gentoo on
>> mingw+Win32"? Portage would kick the pants off of Cygwin's package
>> management.
>
> Have a look at this thread:
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/msg_0ce0c8a15000f7292a0bdda1755854ab.xml
>
> And this link: