Old 03-27-2008, 05:35 PM
CJoeB

Default Weirdness Here

Hi Guys,

Something weird is going on with my system. I have been trying to
upgrade the kernel, but no matter what I select, I can't seem to get the
sata drive on my laptop recognized. So, I've been sticking to a kernel
that works. That is just a lead-in to the situation.

Today, I wanted to check /boot to make sure that I had removed residual
files from my last failed kernel upgrade. First, let me say that my
system boots fine into the kernel that I have been using successfully -
i.e. everything happens as expected when I boot. However, in /boot, all
I have is a symlink that says that boot is a link to . (dot). I don't
see any grub directory or any of the files that should be there. What
gives? This is making me a little antsy! Any suggestions as to what is
going on? Any ideas how to solve the situation?

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Old 03-27-2008, 05:39 PM
"Jason Carson"

Did you create a separate /boot partition when installing Gentoo. If so
you need to mount it

mount /dev/sda1 /boot

or whatever is your boot partition

Old 03-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Chris Brennan

Old 03-27-2008, 05:54 PM
CJoeB

Chris Brennan wrote:

look in your /etc/fstab, is /boot set to noauto? If it is, then /boot
isn't being mounted at boot, mount it by hand, then take a peek ...

Thanks. I figured that out. The thing that stymied me is that I
normally don't have to manually mount /boot. Anyway, things are okay now.

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org