Old 12-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Peter Humphrey

Default DVD Movie backups

On Sunday 18 December 2011 13:58:42 Peter Humphrey wrote:

*

> I've tried every option I can think of in the kernel config but I still

> get the same error. Any other ideas? Thanks for help so far.

*

Hmm. It seems to register as an audio CD, and copying it in K3b creates a 640MB wav file. Now that's bizarre, as it's supposed to contain a whole lot of pictures as well as a small-by-comparison audio track.

*

--

Rgds

Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23

*

Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Stroller

On 18 December 2011, at 03:07, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>> ? I absolutely dread going to
>>> back to MythTv with a big, hot, noisy PC sitting next to my TV?
>>
>> I bought an eMachines 1401 recently - it's not as perfectly silent as
>> the PlayOn (which is fanless), but it's *very* close. It's an AMD
>> atom-equivalent, dual-core, mini desktop PC, about 7" on a side and
>> maybe 1" thick. Right now, powered on with no load just to judge it
>> for this conversation, I can hear it if my ear is a foot away from
>> it, but not 2 or 3 feet away, not against the normal background noise
>> in my apartment (clock ticking in the kitchen and so on). Right now
>> its hard-drive is louder than its fan (which is shifting so little
>> air that I can barely feel it, even putting my hand an inch from the
>> grille). I think that if you load it up with an emerge then the fan
>> will ramp up a bit, but I doubt if you'd notice it when watching a
>> movie.
>
> There are some platforms that are getting pretty decent, but they
> still cost 5X as much as a set-top-box box, draw 10X as much power,
> and are about 4X larger. They're probably approaching "tolerable",
> but compared to something like a Roku or SageTv box, they're still an
> embarassment.
>
> I used a Mac Mini for a while as a MythTv frontend, and it was quiet
> enough that it wasn't noticable unless the room was dead silent. It
> would have been OK if I had been able to get DVI output working.

You're absolutely not doing the current generation of atom-type mini-PCs justice.

My 250GB eMachine cost about the same as the PlayOnHD STB does, maybe 10% more, except the PlayON comes without a hard-drive or wifi.

I took great pains to describe how there is *technically* a little fan noise from the eMachine, but I'll believe you can hear the difference in real-life after you've proved it.

Neil has told you the same thing about his Revo - those are considered the go-to off-the-shelf HTCP front-end these days.

Indeed, they don't have optical drives, and indeed you can spend a lot of money if you want to put an ATX mainboard in a fancy brushed-aluminium Silbverstone case. But if that's what you want, an STB wouldn't be meeting your needs, anyway.

On the matter of noise and power-consumption, the difference between set-top-boxes and atom-type mini-PCs is so insignificant that I can't believe anyone splitting hairs over the matter has tried them both.

Stroller.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:29 AM
Raffaele BELARDI

On 12/16/2011 10:12 PM, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> Dual layer DVDs will only work, if the layer break is at the right place.
>
> I so far have not been able to get the layer break value from the IFO file.
>
> You need to use cdrecord -atip to get the layer break value and then use
> cdrecord layerbreak=# and a DVD+R/DL media.

That means run "cdrecord -atip" on the empty media and then use that
value to master the media with "cdrecord layerbreak="?

thanks,

raf