Old 12-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Grant Edwards

Default DVD Movie backups

On 2011-12-16, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Grant Edwards><grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Correct. If you use dd to copy an encrypted disk, the result will be
>> missing something like 90% of the data.
>>
>>> I have no interest in tearing apart the DVD in any way. It was more
>>> about the idea of a fire causing the loss of maybe $15K-$20K
>>> investment over the years. I can rip all the CDs, keep the ripped
>>> version here to watch on the computer, and store the DVDs elsewhere,
>>> but that elimiates (generally) being able to watch special features
>>> which my wife and kid enjoy.
>>
>> No it doesn't. You can use dvdbackup (or k9copy or ...) to copy the
>> DVDs to the computer and when you play them back you get all the
>> menus and special features and whatnot. If you want you can create
>> ISO images and burn them to dual-layer-DVDs, but you don't need to do
>> that to play them with all the features.

> So for my continued education, if I take an encrypted movie I can use
> program XYZ (Linux or Windows-based...) to create an iso image, but
> that iso image won't, even if it does include all the special
> features, ever be a bit-for-bit copy of the original. It's now
> unencrypted and created anew.

Exactly. I used to use k9copy, but I got tired of fighting with Qt
dependancies and switched to dvdbackup. Sometimes I create ISOs and
burn them to DVDs, but usually I just create directory trees and watch
them via a SageTv set-top-box that mounts the directory via NFS.

> It's a completely different way to represent the original data.

Yep. I'm not aware of any Linux software that can create an encrypted
DVD -- but I've never had a desire to do that, so my lack of knowlege
of such a thing shouldn't be used as an indication of non-existence of
such a thing.

> That said, if it's a _complete_ representation of the original then
> the special features are there, and if written to a DVD _might_ work
> in my DVD player,

They've always worked in the DVD players I've tried them in, including
subtitles, special features, multiple audio tracks, etc. The various
"backup" programs usually have options to pare down what's copied so
that you can do things like copy only the main title with one audio
track (with or without menus, subtitles, etc). Some of the backup
programs will also re-encode the video to make the end result fit
within a specified size -- for example you can generate a 4.7G ISO
image from a 9GB original.

> assuming the DVD player isn't specifically looking for something that
> was on the original disc such as specifically encrypted blocks of
> data, etc.
>
> Am I getting closer?

Indeed you are.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! How's it going in
at those MODULAR LOVE UNITS??

Old 12-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2011-12-17, David Haller <gentoo@dhaller.de> wrote:

>>Store these on a Samba share, then use something like the PlayOn HD
>>Mini or the Western Digital TV Live! to watch them on your big screen
>>TV.
>>
>>These players allow you to treat .iso files on the network just as if
>>they were actual DVDs and give you full access to the menus and extra
>>features.
>
> At least mplayer, vlc and xine will also happily play a directory, be
> it a mounted DVD, a mounted image or just a rip as made by dvdbackup
> and others (e.g. lxdvdrip).

The SageTv set-top box will happily play a DVD directory also (in
addition to playing TV shows recorded by the SageTv DVR server
software). Sadly, Google bought SageTv and shut them down. It's too
bad. SageTv server + set-top-box was a really great product. I don't
know what I'm going to do when it dies. I absolutely dread going to
back to MythTv with a big, hot, noisy PC sitting next to my TV...

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I am a jelly donut.
at I am a jelly donut.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Stroller

On 17 December 2011, at 20:39, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2011-12-17, David Haller <gentoo@dhaller.de> wrote:
>
>>> Store these on a Samba share, then use something like the PlayOn HD
>>> Mini or the Western Digital TV Live! to watch them on your big screen
>>> TV.
>>>
>>> These players allow you to treat .iso files on the network just as if
>>> they were actual DVDs and give you full access to the menus and extra
>>> features.
>>
>> At least mplayer, vlc and xine will also happily play a directory, be
>> it a mounted DVD, a mounted image or just a rip as made by dvdbackup
>> and others (e.g. lxdvdrip).
>
> The SageTv set-top box will happily play a DVD directory also (in
> addition to playing TV shows recorded by the SageTv DVR server
> software).

Practically all players will do this, I think, but I much prefer having the DVD as a single file, to move and copy and store.

A directory containing a a VIDEO_TS and a load of files just seems a lot more fragile to me. Were you to accidentally delete one of the VOB files, there would be no way to tell the difference from looking at the outside of the video's folder.

> … I absolutely dread going to
> back to MythTv with a big, hot, noisy PC sitting next to my TV…

I bought an eMachines 1401 recently - it's not as perfectly silent as the PlayOn (which is fanless), but it's *very* close. It's an AMD atom-equivalent, dual-core, mini desktop PC, about 7" on a side and maybe 1" thick. Right now, powered on with no load just to judge it for this conversation, I can hear it if my ear is a foot away from it, but not 2 or 3 feet away, not against the normal background noise in my apartment (clock ticking in the kitchen and so on). Right now its hard-drive is louder than its fan (which is shifting so little air that I can barely feel it, even putting my hand an inch from the grille). I think that if you load it up with an emerge then the fan will ramp up a bit, but I doubt if you'd notice it when watching a movie.

Stroller.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Michael Mol

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 3:09 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/17/2011 03:26 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
>>

>> Do you know of any way to read a DVD that was created on a Mac of some
>> sort?
>

> I'm fuzzy on the details, but Apple has/had its own filesystems named HFS
> and HFSplus. *I'm guessing that data disks burned with a Mac will use HFS,
> but I don't know about movie/audio disks. *You can enable HFS support in
> kernel menuconfig.

The dead-easy way to tell would be to insert the disc, and then run

file -s /dev/cdrom

(or /dev/dvd, or /dev/sr0, or /dev/whatever...)
--
:wq

Old 12-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Saturday 17 December 2011 21:19:27 Michael Mol wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 3:09 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 12/17/2011 03:26 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> >> Do you know of any way to read a DVD that was created on a Mac of some

> >> sort?

> > I'm fuzzy on the details, but Apple has/had its own filesystems named

> > HFS and HFSplus. *I'm guessing that data disks burned with a Mac will

> > use HFS, but I don't know about movie/audio disks. *You can enable HFS

> > support in kernel menuconfig.

> The dead-easy way to tell would be to insert the disc, and then run

> file -s /dev/cdrom

> (or /dev/dvd, or /dev/sr0, or /dev/whatever...)

*

I got this:

$ sudo file -s /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0: ERROR: cannot read `/dev/sr0' (Input/output error)

*

So I recompiled the kernel to include both hfs and hfsplus and got the same after booting with the new kernel and loading the modules.

*

Dmesg had this:

$ dmesg | tail

[...]

[ 208.369492] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE

[ 208.369495] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]

[ 208.369497] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Illegal mode for this track

[ 208.369501] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 01 00

[ 208.369505] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 64

[ 208.369516] isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=sr0, iso_blknum=16, block=16

*

The DVD is mostly wedding photos, with an audio track thrown in. Maybe it wasn't written on a Mac, but I'd be surprised if so.

*

I'm stuck now. Thanks both for your help so far.

*

--

Rgds

Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23

*

Old 12-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Michael Mol

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 5:28 PM, Peter Humphrey
<peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 17 December 2011 21:19:27 Michael Mol wrote:

>> > I'm fuzzy on the details, but Apple has/had its own filesystems named
>
>> > HFS and HFSplus. *I'm guessing that data disks burned with a Mac will
>
>> > use HFS, but I don't know about movie/audio disks. *You can enable HFS
>
>> > support in kernel menuconfig.
>

>> The dead-easy way to tell would be to insert the disc, and then run
>

>> file -s /dev/cdrom
>

>> (or /dev/dvd, or /dev/sr0, or /dev/whatever...)
>

> I got this:
>
> $ sudo file -s /dev/sr0
>
> /dev/sr0: ERROR: cannot read `/dev/sr0' (Input/output error)
>

> So I recompiled the kernel to include both hfs and hfsplus and got the same
> after booting with the new kernel and loading the modules.
>

> Dmesg had this:
>
> $ dmesg | tail
>
> [...]
>
> [ 208.369492] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK
> driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
>
> [ 208.369495] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
>
> [ 208.369497] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Illegal mode for this track
>
> [ 208.369501] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 01 00
>
> [ 208.369505] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 64
>
> [ 208.369516] isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=sr0, iso_blknum=16,
> block=16
>

> The DVD is mostly wedding photos, with an audio track thrown in. Maybe it
> wasn't written on a Mac, but I'd be surprised if so.
>

> I'm stuck now. Thanks both for your help so far.

Photo-CD, perhaps?

--
:wq

Old 12-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 20:13:43 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> Yep. I'm not aware of any Linux software that can create an encrypted
> DVD -- but I've never had a desire to do that, so my lack of knowlege
> of such a thing shouldn't be used as an indication of non-existence of
> such a thing.

You also don't have the hardware to create them. CSS keys are stored on a
separate area of the disc, an area that is not available on DVD-Rs,
which is why yo cannot copy a CSS-encrypted DVD with dd, it copies the
encrypted data but not the decryption keys.

--
Neil Bothwick

I backed up my hard drive and ran into a bus.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 20:39:38 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> The SageTv set-top box will happily play a DVD directory also (in
> addition to playing TV shows recorded by the SageTv DVR server
> software). Sadly, Google bought SageTv and shut them down. It's too
> bad. SageTv server + set-top-box was a really great product. I don't
> know what I'm going to do when it dies. I absolutely dread going to
> back to MythTv with a big, hot, noisy PC sitting next to my TV...

I use an Acer Aspire Revo attached to the back of the TV. it is inaudible
apart from a one second burst of fan noise when powering on, and the
Nvidia ION chipset is good enough to play 1080p recordings.

--
Neil Bothwick

Windows Error #56: Operator fell asleep while waiting.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Saturday 17 December 2011 22:32:07 Michael Mol wrote:

*

> Photo-CD, perhaps?

*

Seems likely, especially as it was made by a professional wedding photographer. What do I need to read it? The Wikipedia article doesn't lead me anywhere.

*

Old 12-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Michael Mol

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Peter Humphrey
<peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 17 December 2011 22:32:07 Michael Mol wrote:
>> Photo-CD, perhaps?
>
> Seems likely, especially as it was made by a professional wedding
> photographer. What do I need to read it? The Wikipedia article doesn't lead
> me anywhere.

I tried grepping the 3.0.6 kernel sources, and I didn't get any hits
in source files, just in old documentation. Not sure if photo cds are
still supported, or if special support simply isn't required there.

It looks like there's media-plugins/vdr-pcd, but I don't know anything
about it. Perhaps some normal photo managers might be able to handle
it.

--
:wq